Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Temple Of The Dog

Go down 
+12
DallasBlack
Shawn Of Fire
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
arachnoplasma
Eyesore
manny
Stender
mc666
James B.
16 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Got some bad news today and I listened to this cd cause when I struggled with addiction in my past, this spoke to me on a very personal level. A lifelong friend who had been clean for years od'd on heroin last night. I had my issues with that garbage, including near death experiiences. I also listened to "Wasted Time" by Skid Row.

anyways.....what do others think of the cd ? I prefer it to any of the bands the members are a part of, suppose due to how real it is.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 pm

i've only heard Hunger Strike, which is a damn good song. i'm really sorry about your friend though.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Im sorry to hear that man, Addiction is no joke, ive never smoked dope, but I know there was a couple points where alchohol didnt even need to be in my stomach yet to make me feel better. Just the psychological relief of knowing a buddy was bringing something by or whatever was good enough. May your friend RIP and the disease of addiction have mercy on others who still suffer every day.

I havent heard this disc in a long time, I think it was pretty good if I remember right.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 pm

mc666 wrote:
i've only heard Hunger Strike, which is a damn good song. i'm really sorry about your friend though.

Thanks man, it was a shock.....he'd been clean for quite a while. His ol lady said they'd been having issues and he'd just lost his job. He was the last person besides mysef who was still alive that played in Lethal Dose. The first real band I was in. Believe it or not.... of the 5 of us, three died from od's, the other from a car wreck while under the influence of heroin. sheesh. kinda/sorta ironic.

From my understanding, the cd is paying homage to Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone who had od'd on heroin. I believe it was done before Pearl Jam broke big, am not sure. It is a very personal colection of tunes. I went thru similar experiences, so it means something.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:19 pm

I love the album and it also speaks to me a very personal way and you are correct it is a homage to Andrew Wood.

Aside from that I am sorry for the loss of your friend and I especially hate hearing when someone dies so young due to his losing the battle with his demons.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:19 am

A fantastic album, indeed. One of the best from that era, along with Mother Love Bone and Mad Season.

Sorry about your friend.
Back to top Go down

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:08 am

It's a painful but beautiful record, very much a touchstone album from that era.

Sorry to hear about your friend James, I hope you can get some solace from music, family and friends while you are dealing with this.

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 am

A friend of mine who's a huge Chris Cornell fan loaned me pretty much his entire discography. I have a rip of this CD on my hard drive, haven't listened to it yet though. I wasn't into the grunge scene when it was happening, but years later I find myself appreciating some of the better bands from the era. I guess I need to give this one a fair shake too from the sounds of things...

My condolences for you and your friend. I've never done drugs, have no desire to after seeing too many lives wasted on them. There's always a better way. It's sad that some people can't find it.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 2:57 am

Have the CD. Was crazy about "Hunger Strike" when MTV played it on heavy rotation back in the day. "Times of Trouble" is a really good song as well. Overall, good record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 3:15 am

My favorite track is "Your Savior"
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 9:58 am

My condolences on your loss, James.

Good album. Wasn't a big fan of the whole grunge movement at the time, but I slowly warmed up to certian bands after getting the soundtrack to 'Singles'. After that I slowly gathered up some bands from that album, Mother Love Bone being one. It would eventually lead to Temple of the Dog.

I got it mostly for the Chris Cornell aspect, but the whole album is very good. I can even tolerate Eddie Vedder's constipated vocals.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:16 am

I've only heard the songs Hunger Strike and Stardog Champion.

I am also sorry about your friend.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 11:26 am

I'm not a huge fan of this album, but it's good. The three tracks I really dig are "Hunger Strike", "Say Hello 2 Heaven", and "Pushin' Forward Back". I did really dig Mother Love Bone's S/t album. I absolutely love the song "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns". James, I'm sorry to hear about your friend and former band member, as well as the history that has plagued former band members. Drug addiction obviously sucks, and I feel blessed that I never went down that road. Good luck with your continued sobriety...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I love that album...Cornell is amazing on it.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 pm

thanks, everyone. gonna go back "home" (San Berdooo) for a funera. Sucks that something like death causes foks to get back together who'd been apart for too many years.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. Like a few others I only know Hunger Strike but it is a great song.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 pm

I know I have their cd somewhere around here. I played the heck out of it back in the day. Really sorry to hear about your friend, James.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Sorry about your buddy, James.

I've liked what I have heard from that album, btw.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Sorry to hear abour your friend. Sad news, indeed.

That album is a start to finish monster. Love it.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 7:40 pm

I had a hard time trying to like the Temple of the Dog Lp when it came out... now that you remind me it was about addiction, guess the underlying current on it disturbed me.
Strange as I became addicted to a substance ten years later.

Hunger Strike was ok, though got overplayed eventually.
yes, once the band started fizzling on the charts, I think that's when the Pearl Jam Lp came out.

Was never a fan of those 2 bands. Liked Mother Love Bone a million times more and was disappointed there wouldn't be another album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Temple Of The Dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Temple Of The Dog   Temple Of The Dog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Temple Of The Dog
Page 1 of 1