Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saucerful of Secrets

Go down 
+2
chewie
Tur-Thalion
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Saucerful of Secrets Empty
PostSubject: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 am

I think this is a massively underrated Pink Floyd album. When I first got it, it definitely wasn't my favorite, but over the years it's really grown on me a ton. I definitely put it in my top 5 Floyd albums. "Let There Be More Light" is such a brilliant album opener too.

What I do find odd about it is when it was released. Stylistically it seems more like it should have been released around the time of Meddle, instead of after Piper at the Gates of Dawn and before More, Ummagumma, and Atom Heart Mother. Those albums are a lot more experimental, whereas Saucer... has a lot more of that spacey vibe.

Tough to pick a favorite song from the album as I love them all, so I won't. Jugband Blues is a bit strange though. It sounds like Syd's own obituary to his time in the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am

Jugband was a leftover track from Syd's tenure.

Stylistically it's not that different from the material on Ummagumma. Floyd's music really isn't that "outside" in the first place. While they did attempt some more experimental tracks like "Saucerful", "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", etc. They were still pretty much grounded in standard compositional structure. Probably one of the reasons they are so accesible to new converts.

There were many other groups during the era that were breaking down every barrier they could find, Floyd never seemed concerned with that, they were just searching around to find a sound.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

I would agree that it is an underrated album. It's like people talk about Piper and then Meddle and forget the albums inbetween(which I've taken to in the past few years).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

An excellent album that I have not played in forever, you have inspired me to pull this album out of the archives and give it a fresh spin today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 2:06 pm

manny wrote:
An excellent album that I have not played in forever, you have inspired me to pull this album out of the archives and give it a fresh spin today

x2
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

Stylistically it's not that different from the material on Ummagumma. Floyd's music really isn't that "outside" in the first place. While they did attempt some more experimental tracks like "Saucerful", "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", etc. They were still pretty much grounded in standard compositional structure. Probably one of the reasons they are so accesible to new converts.

There were many other groups during the era that were breaking down every barrier they could find, Floyd never seemed concerned with that, they were just searching around to find a sound.

I guess I'm going to have to give Ummagumma a spin tomorrow, because my memory tells me that stylistically they are miles apart. Maybe I'll change my mind with a fresh listen.

I knew that Jugband was left-over, but I still think that the lyrics seem to speak to his departure from the band. Or maybe it was written for some other purpose, but when I hear it open up, "It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here, and I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here..." I can't help but think about him leaving the band.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 pm

By the way, I really dig "Careful with that Axe, Eugene."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 pm

The other track that sounds like a leftover from the Syd days is "Corporal Clegg", it sounds like a b-side from Piper.

Let There Be More Light is a direct line to the future Floyd sound. Ummagumma is most interesting for the live album, the studio album features compositional segments from each individual band member, so it's a little different in style.

The Narrow Way (Gilmour's section on Ummagumma) is the most like later Floyd.

All of the early albums are interesting. I think Saucerful gets kind of ignored because Piper was considered a very groundbreaking album and many people were upset at Barrett's departure, think it took Floyd a little while to regroup from that and settle on a direction.

Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:24 am

Great album. This is my favorite track:

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

Maybe you're right about Ummagumma. I listened through it yesterday and it didn't sound too experimental, but there's still something odd about it (the studio disc, that is), to my ears. It might just be the nature of the album, that each track was written by only one individual working separately from the others. As a result, there is a lack of cohesion on the album. The tracks are all so different, and maybe that's what stands out to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 am

Ummagumma requires you to listen to both the live disc and the studio disc for the whole thing to work. It's still kind of an odd record, but I can understand their reasoning behind releasing it during that juncture of their career.

A way to both show off the current lineup in a live situation and give each band member a chance to stretch their individual wings. Almost like an "introduction" to the post-Syd lineup.

This whole era is overlooked.
Back to top Go down
ProgDoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 10:38 pm

''Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" is so cool!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 am

I haven't heard this whole album, just a few of the songs that appear on the best of comp Echoes. It's on my list to get though.

I'm finding that as my Floyd collection slowly grows, I'm enjoying the "non-radio hits" albums better than some of the more well known stuff. Probably due to too much classic rock overplay.

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I haven't heard this whole album, just a few of the songs that appear on the best of comp Echoes. It's on my list to get though.

I'm finding that as my Floyd collection slowly grows, I'm enjoying the "non-radio hits" albums better than some of the more well known stuff. Probably due to too much classic rock overplay.

That applies to almost any classic rock band.

Radio programming has been completely worthless since Clear Channel bought the world.

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:43 am

Totally agree about radio stations. Back not even all that long ago, they used to have character.

As for Floyd's hits, I'm kind of torn. When I talk about my top albums of theirs, I never mention The Wall; Dark Side comes in after Animals and Meddle...but I always love listening through both of those albums because they are brilliant too.

Another overlooked Floyd album is Obscured By Clouds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:

Another overlooked Floyd album is Obscured By Clouds.

Agreed. That album was a necessary step needed to reach Dark Side of The Moon. You can hear the genesis of that sound on several tracks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saucerful of Secrets   Saucerful of Secrets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saucerful of Secrets
Page 1 of 1