Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

YES - Fly From Here

Go down 
+3
Jesusandmetal23
manny
SpectreFate
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

YES - Fly From Here Empty
PostSubject: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 am

Anyone else have a stiffy about this new YES album? The album was produced and co-written by Trevor Horn and features vocalist David Benoit (who sounds a lot like Trevor). Sounds fantastic to me.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

I have not heard it yet, and can't play the clip posted, but I am curious to hear a YES album without Jon Anderson
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:13 am

Here's a preview I've uploaded.

http://soundcloud.com/bjbmdsgncom/preview-132/s-4gTSo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:44 am

David Benoit? Okay, that's actually fairly interesting by itself...
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Saw them last night with Styx. It's strange, because on the studio album, Benoit David sounds a lot like Trevor Horn. But in a live setting, doing the classics, he sounds JUST like Jon Anderson. Its almost scary.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 8:06 pm

How was Styx? And which incarnation of the band was it?

If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:
How was Styx? And which incarnation of the band was it?

Styx were awesome, they really didnt hit one sour note.

I dont think there are many of the "classic" members left, Tommy Shaw is up there and so is James Young. The new drummer is really amazing. They brought up Chuck Panozzo to sit in on bass for a few tunes, but I'm pretty sure they muted him.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 pm

And about the album, it is very, very good. Kinda sounds like a mix of Drama, 90125, and Tormato. Expect variety.

Plus the title track is the first 18+ minute song they've written in 20 or so years i think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I've listened to it once so far, pretty good for the most part. My only complaint was that the few songs that had actual "progressive leaning" parts sounded pretty contrived...like they said; "we need a progressive section here" and then did a paint-by-numbers riff.

Need to play it again when I have time to concentrate on it. Initial impression is "okay". I really enjoyed the Magnification album.

Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks for uploading the sample, SpectreFate. It's pretty good. Not super brilliant, but I definitely enjoyed it overall. Can't say I'll be buying the album based upon hearing it though.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 pm

I bought the vinyl version yesterday...... It's not WOW, but it is enjoyable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:05 pm

It's a grower, I like it better now than I did on the first couple listens.

Really nice recording too.

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Jon Anderson is playing for free next month.
Anyone know what he performs as a solo artist? Probably little YES material?
accoridng to wikipedia, he performed shows last year with Rick Wakeman.

Festival of Friends
http://creativearts.on.ca/performers01.html
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
And about the album, it is very, very good. Kinda sounds like a mix of Drama, 90125, and Tormato. Expect variety.

Plus the title track is the first 18+ minute song they've written in 20 or so years i think.

happy
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm

The more I listen to it, the more I like it! ShawnD., your right, it is a grower.

It helps that the title track started off as two really strong songs in the first place. On youtube they have the original Buggles demos and they are not changed much(real drums instead the Linn machine, Steve Howe flourishes). The bass lines and keyboard melodies are all the same and Trevor Horn even sings backup....... they just updated it.

Buggles:

Yes:

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 pm

mlotek wrote:
Jon Anderson is playing for free next month.
Anyone know what he performs as a solo artist? Probably little YES material?
accoridng to wikipedia, he performed shows last year with Rick Wakeman.

Festival of Friends
http://creativearts.on.ca/performers01.html

I've tried to listen to Jon Anderson Solo, but outside of Olias(which is GREAT) and Song Of Seven(which is Good) his stuff is hit or miss(mostly miss). I had Deseo once and tried to listen to it a few times I had to trade it it....... Horrible Stuff!!!!!!!!!!

That New Age-y philosophy crap gets on my nerves..............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YES - Fly From Here   YES - Fly From Here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YES - Fly From Here
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: