Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tyr - The Lay of Thrym

Go down 
+8
Olafsto
Mglaffas81
325ad
rawr!
adrian
DallasBlack
QuothTheRaven
Eyesore
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Empty
PostSubject: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Anyone pick up this one yet? I bought it earlier today and it's frickin' brilliant! These guys are absolutely killer. Once again, there's more power-metal on this album than on the earlier ones, but it's still got that "Viking" feel to it and the songs are so damn catchy!

I've listened twice so far, and it's jumped into my top 5 for 2011. Easy.

There's also two kick-ass covers as bonus tracks, "I" (Sabbath) and "Stargazer" (Rainbow). A little tribute to Dio, perhaps?

Either way, buy this album!

headbanger
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 pm

The only thing I've heard from these guys is "Hold the Heathenhammer High" but every time I hear it, it's stuck in my head for days. These guys sure know how to write a hook! I love the Viking connection too. Used to read Norse mythology a lot as a kid. Tyr - The Lay of Thrym 395375
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm going to have to add this band to my want list. *sigh* So many albums...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah, their songs are catchy as hell.

This one is ridiculous! Such a hook. And it's not even in English! Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:46 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
The only thing I've heard from these guys is "Hold the Heathenhammer High" but every time I hear it, it's stuck in my head for days. These guys sure know how to write a hook! I love the Viking connection too. Used to read Norse mythology a lot as a kid. Tyr - The Lay of Thrym 395375

That song is from the one album I have from them. I like that they have the folk metal thing going but without the death vocals. Nothing but clean singing. I have plans to pick the new one up (it was suggested when I pre-ordered the new Alestorm album).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 pm

I kind of lost track of these guys but sounds cool!

I used to really enjoy Ragnarok, and then I heard some of Land when it first came out and quite liked the rerecording of Hail to the Hammer. Might have to revisit their stuff
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 1:55 am

ive been meaning to get around to this, because these guys are pretty talented and i have their entire back discography. they pull it off live, too. people should also check out the new suidakra album for a dose of folk....and the upcoming wulfshon.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 am

I like Tyr a few of those bonus track sound interesting to me as well!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 am

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, their songs are catchy as hell.

This one is ridiculous! Such a hook. And it's not even in English! Haha.

Yeah, this was the first TYR song I heard - I love their heavy metal versions of traditional saga songs - it's awesome! Their completely original ones are also killer, but their's something about those old songs that sound simply in a metal setting - plus, the Icelandic/Faroese language itself sounds awesome!

My dad is Icelandic, and I played this song to him once - it's probably the only heavy metal song he likes! Laughing

I'll be sure to pick this up, I love these guys - drank a coupla' pints with them once after a show in Iceland - their really cool guys!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 7:08 am

Great band! I love their style and will pick up this album as soon as possible.
All their albums are good imo. I would love to visit Faroe Islands some day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 am

I completely loved their last one so I'm sure to pick this one up. Thanks for the mini-review!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:36 am

Just ordered this.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Olafsto wrote:
I would love to visit Faroe Islands some day.

Me too! I might have to leave the wife behind, though, as she'd think it was too cold.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 5:12 pm

I started to pick this up today but ended up getting Volbeat instead. I'm going to have to get some stuff by these guys.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:47 pm

The only Tyr I have is "How Far to Asgaard". Maybe I should explore the band a little further.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 2:32 am

how far to asgaard is their weakest lp, in my opinion. i suggest ragnarok to delve into their realized awesomeness, or their current release for their updated sound.

i finally got myself a copy of the lay of thrym and i wasnt disappointed. its a bit too accessible/simplistic for me, and i miss more songs in other languages (mostly their native one), but the flip side of the change theyve perfected on this album is that each song sounds even more anthemic than usual it seems, and that apparently floats some peoples boats. plenty for folk metal minded individuals to enjoy here, or just fans of epic heavy or power metal without all the bombast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyr - The Lay of Thrym   Tyr - The Lay of Thrym Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyr - The Lay of Thrym
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: