Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unplayable CDs

Go down 
+10
speed101
Nico
mlotek
Stender
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
DallasBlack
exact33
mc666
kmorg
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Today was a first for me; I found my first unplayable CD!!! I've heard the legends, most only about CDr's, that some CD's become unplayable over the years. Well, today it happened to one of my CD's. I'm currently in the process of ripping all my CD's to a harddrive, and today I am adding my Mortification discs. I started to rip my "EnVision EvAngelene" CD, but after 4 songs it just stopped! This had never happened before, so I tried it 2 more times. Then I took it out, thinking it mght be smudged, but there it was: The print on the CD looked like it had been bleeding through to the playable side of the disc! Everything outside the David star could be seen as spotty parts from the silver side of the disc!!! Man, I am bummed. Now I have to rebuy another CD!

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 3:22 pm

You know, it's interesting, because I still have a couple CDs I purchased in the late 80's...and even though alot of the silver has come off and you can see about 40 pinholes of light through them...they still play.

I haven't experienced actual CD Rot that made a disc unplayable yet.

I even have the first CDR I ever made, from 1998 and it plays fine.

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
Today was a first for me; I found my first unplayable CD!!! I've heard the legends, most only about CDr's, that some CD's become unplayable over the years. Well, today it happened to one of my CD's. I'm currently in the process of ripping all my CD's to a harddrive, and today I am adding my Mortification discs. I started to rip my "EnVision EvAngelene" CD, but after 4 songs it just stopped! This had never happened before, so I tried it 2 more times. Then I took it out, thinking it mght be smudged, but there it was: The print on the CD looked like it had been bleeding through to the playable side of the disc! Everything outside the David star could be seen as spotty parts from the silver side of the disc!!! Man, I am bummed. Now I have to rebuy another CD!
i have a Slammin' Watusis cd that stops after the first few minutes of the 2nd song. the side with no print looks very milky & whitish. only cd i've ever seen do this. Shocked

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 7:59 pm

I have never seen it either - all my early days cdrs are still working..

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:57 am

MOST CDRS I'VE MADE ARE JUST COLLECTING DUST OR ARE GONE. I PUT ALL MUSIC IN MY COMPUTER FOR THAT VERY REASON SO I STILL HAVE THE MUSIC IF THE HARD COPY IS INOPPERABLE. TAKES UP A LOT OF SPACE BUT SINCE MY 60% OF MY COMPUTER USAGE INVOLVES MUSIC (35% FOR INTERNET AND 5% FOR GAMES & PICTURES) IT'S WORTH IT.

ONE OF THESE DAYS I MAY COME ACCROSS AN UNPLAYABLE ONE BUT I HAVEN'T YET.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

DB, get an external hard drive and back up that computer. Hard Drives fail much faster than CDRs. In fact, on average they only last about 5 years.

I have 2 redundant backups of my music, stored at separate locations, so in case the place I live in ever catches fire or something, it doesn't burn up both my orignal computer AND my backups.

You can never have too many copies of a digital file.

As soon as I get around to it, I'll buy cloud storage space and that will become another backup, then someone else can maintain that backup for me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am

Shawn D. wrote:
DB, get an external hard drive and back up that computer. Hard Drives fail much faster than CDRs. In fact, on average they only last about 5 years.

I have 2 redundant backups of my music, stored at separate locations, so in case the place I live in ever catches fire or something, it doesn't burn up both my orignal computer AND my backups.

As soon as I get around to it, I'll buy cloud storage space and that will become another backup, then someone else can maintain that backup for me.

Agree - I have my music on two separate hard drives! You can get them cheap now!
Back to top Go down

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:35 am

thejokeriv wrote:

Agree - I have my music on two separate hard drives! You can get them cheap now!

Best advice I ever got on that. If you have a safety deposit box at the bank, store one of your hard drives there, then you can "swap it out" with a more recent backup. Safety Deposit boxes are the most secure places on the planet and are fire-proof, water proof and under lock and key.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am

I have a couple of CDs that won't play in the little piece of sh*t boom box that I keep on my desk at work (Helloween's GAMBLING WITH THE DEVIL and W.A.S.P.'s ANIMAL/LIVE...ANIMAL) but they play fine in my car stereo, my players at home, etc.

On the flip side, I have a couple of other CDs (Slayer's WORLD PAINTED BLOOD is one, I can't think of the other off the top of my head) that won't play at all in my car stereo, but they work fine everywhere else, including that boom box.

So are my CD players getting pickier, or are CD manufacturers slackin' on the quality control side nowadays?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have a couple of CDs that won't play in the little piece of sh*t boom box that I keep on my desk at work (Helloween's GAMBLING WITH THE DEVIL and W.A.S.P.'s ANIMAL/LIVE...ANIMAL) but they play fine in my car stereo, my players at home, etc.

On the flip side, I have a couple of other CDs (Slayer's WORLD PAINTED BLOOD is one, I can't think of the other off the top of my head) that won't play at all in my car stereo, but they work fine everywhere else, including that boom box.

So are my CD players getting pickier, or are CD manufacturers slackin' on the quality control side nowadays?

I think manufacturers are slacking. Like if you look at CDs from the late 80s early 90s its just a perfect silver, but I was looking at a bottom of a CD that I bought around 2008 and it came with a weird bubbling blotch on the data side that looked like it had a liquid spilled on it underneath the surface..weird.

Never had a CD stop playing for me though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

THANKS, BUT I'VE GOT IT COVERED. A WHILE BACK I GOT A 1TB HARD DRIVE TO BACK UP MY MUSIC AND I KEEP IT IN A FIRE PROOF SAFE.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Besides some labels using copyright protection, some cd's just fail to be be read by certain players or drives.

Like some discs I have, dvd's or cd's, if were scratched, have a hard time playing on many players.

I just have to keep trying as many programs as possible if a new, clean copy is needed that is playable , or if i just want it ripped to my hard drive for storage -
programs like Exact Audio Copy, DvdFab, DvdDecrypter, DvdShrink,Winamp, DbPoweramp Muswic Converter, Nero, etc

Back to top Go down

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 6:07 pm

or iTunes lossless (ALAC) to make it really simple.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

I've been collecting CDs for a little over a decade now and I've never had this happen to me apart from some CD-r's not playing in certain players. I did have a CD player a while ago that eventually started to skip the first track on every CD, that was irritating. Some old CDs say something in the booklet about how to take care of CDs and it says something at the end about how they can "provide a lifetime of pure listening enjoyment" or something. The only explanation I could think of (besides scratches on the disc, obviously) is if you leave a CD sitting in your car stereo for too long, especially on hot sunny days.

I sometimes hear people talk about how Blu-Rays are so much better than DVDs because they are ultra-scratch-resistant, and I'm thinking, "Who cares? Learn to take care of your s**t". Very Happy Razz
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm

I have some cdrs that wont play in certain players but for the most part everything plays just fine.

mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:33 am

Shawn D. wrote:

Itunes not allowed here Unplayable CDs 505193
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 pm

I think if you take care of cd-rs and not play them all the time they can last years.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 2:51 am

I'm a youngin', so I haven't had too much experience with older CD's, yet my third (the first got crushed accidentally by my mom, second lost) Nightwish Century Child CD had that problem for the last 3 tracks after a few months. I don't know what caused it, really. I guess that CD's just not meant to be mine. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:58 am

My brand new copy of Black Country Communion's 2 album won't play in my car stereo. Plays on my home and work computer fine, but not in the car. Weird.

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:03 pm

mlotek wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

Itunes not allowed here Unplayable CDs 505193

I use the MAC version, which is far superior to the Windows version...because that one has to actually use the Windows operating system...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 pm

After hearing about the possibility of CDs someday wearing out, I've decided to play my music from my iPod now in order to conserve the CDs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 pm

FINALLY transferred ALL of my CD's to hard drive(s). This took months off and on.

Quite rare for a CD to become "unplayable". Usually it's a sign of mis-handling (i.e. scratch) but I've had homemade labels come partly off that affected play. I know there is services and products available to help salvage CD's. I've kept SYLENTIGER on the shelf for years hoping to have it restored one day.
Back to top Go down

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 pm

congrats on getting stuff transferred. Ripping CDs is damn near as much fun as watching cheese get moldy.

Most small used CD shops have resurface/buffing machines for discs, even badly scratched discs can sometimes be rescued, providing the scratch didn't go all the way into the data area (top scratches are more dangerous than playing surface scratches, because the data is near the top).

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:46 am

The problem with in my case was not mishandling or scratches. The print on the print side "bled" through to the playable side.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:51 am

Not to be a nitpicker (HA!) but, can someone change CD's to CDs in the title of this thread?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Unplayable CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unplayable CDs   Unplayable CDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unplayable CDs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: