Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mr. Big

Go down 
+13
DallasBlack
manny
MetalGuy71
martinsane
krokus
Troublezone
Shawn Of Fire
SpectreFate
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
exact33
Smindas
Eyesore
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:40 am

What the hell? These guys are kind of heavy? I kind of hated "To Be With You," wasn't a fan of "Wild World," so I just assumed they had no balls. Now I'm listening to songs from their albums and pretty much know I would have totally dug them.

Lame. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

I actually adore 'To Be With You' (because I'm a massive pansy), but Mr. Big overall are a fantastic band. Their debut and Lean Into It are fantastic platters of bluesy, virtuoso-laced hard rock. You just can't argue with tracks like 'Addicted To That Rush', 'Daddy, Brother, Mother, Little Boy' and 'Road to Ruin'.

I still need to pick up their new one. I heard the single 'Undertow' and dug it, just haven't got around to grabbing the album yet.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:39 am

Yeah, I caught the new video for "Undertow," which really surprised me by its heaviness. That's what made me start clicking other video links. I was pretty shocked. Haha.

Looks like I'll be hunting down their albums.

If anyone is curious...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 8:18 am

I kinda had the same opinion but got their first two from SACD and they are good.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 8:28 am

I used to think that Mr. Big was one of the most godawful abominations ever unleashed upon the music world due to "To Be With You." But y'know what? I picked up the LEAN INTO IT CD a year or so ago at a yard sale on a whim (thinking it might make decent trade bait) and dammit, other than "To Be With You" it was pretty good, catchy stuff. I still hate that song (and I'm glad it's the last track on the CD so I can just punch the "stop" button before it comes on) but I had to eat some crow on that one. Haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:09 am

Still need to get me that Best Of i saw in a record store not nearby my place.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:52 am

I refuse to drink the Mr. Big koolaid. I find their stuff to be contrived crap.....and I KNOW crap.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 10:12 am

Mr. Big are a grossly overlooked Hard Rock band...I have and love every album...Eric Martin is a massive vocalist and it goes without saying that Torpey, Sheehan and Gilbert are insane.

I think any Rock fan that ignores them is doing themselves a disservice.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 10:13 am

I love Paul Gilbert's guitar playing but Mr. Big is not really my thing... especially the singer's voice. It's too (made for radio) sounding.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

Never got into them and only have a live bootleg from 1989 i think it is, live in the USA. I have to get some more because i like the songs on it.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm

After the S/T release and the huge "Addicted To The Rush" track, they kind of fell of my radar until I got the latest What If and let me tell you if you like Undertow you will dig the entire album. MOst of the cuts are really heavy and be damned if there isn't a Kings X vibe to the cd and of course the noodling between Gilbert and Sheehan is epic.

Oh and if Mr. Big was huge ala Bon Jovi or Crue orsomething, could you see Martin Short doing an Eric Martin bit?

Last edited by martinsane on Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I used to think that Mr. Big was one of the most godawful abominations ever unleashed upon the music world due to "To Be With You." But y'know what? I picked up the LEAN INTO IT CD a year or so ago at a yard sale on a whim (thinking it might make decent trade bait) and dammit, other than "To Be With You" it was pretty good, catchy stuff. I still hate that song (and I'm glad it's the last track on the CD so I can just punch the "stop" button before it comes on) but I had to eat some crow on that one. Haha.
That song was a big hit for them, but I'm thinking they weren't marketed well. I mean, I had no idea these cats played rock riffs...and I love that crap!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I had their debut and Lean Into It album a while ago, but I lost interest in them long ago and ditched them. I think Billy and Paul "dumbed down" their abilities in exchange for radio hits and massive popularity. 10 billion Japanese fans have proven me in the minority here, so good for them I guess.

I enjoy Gilbert's work in Racer X and his solo material is outstanding. Billy's talent is without question, but I never paid him much attention after he left DLR's band. I don't have any opinion on the drummer. I guess he's good at what he does. Eric Martin looks like Karen Carpenter.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think Billy and Paul "dumbed down" their abilities in exchange for radio hits and massive popularity. 10 billion Japanese fans have proven me in the minority here, so good for them I guess.

There is a good amount of shredding/showing off and lots of technical nuance within all their albums...even the solo for "To Be With You" was a little left of center and not a typical acoustic solo. Songs like "Addicted To That Rush", "Colorado Bulldog", "Daddy, Brother...", "Take Cover", "Undertow", "Nobody Left To Blame", "Jane Doe", ""Suffocation", "Static"...all show what these guys can do...just because they are not going to extremes on every song doesn't mean there's nothing to sink one's teeth into.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Meh, I just never got into them.

The electric drill song was fun, but they were 2 albums that just collected dust on the shelf, whereas Paul Gilbert's solo albums still get regular rotation from me. And Paul's records are poppy & melodic as hell. So it's not like I can't enjoy a decent melodic rock song. I just didn't get that from Mr. Big.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I love Paul's solo stuff too...

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
That song was a big hit for them, but I'm thinking they weren't marketed well. I mean, I had no idea these cats played rock riffs...and I love that crap!

yeah - the marketing folks went straight for the ballads and left out all the good stuff..

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Wasn't 'Green Tinted Sixties Mind' moderately big for them? I wouldn't call that a ballad as such, just quite psychedelia influenced rock.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Smindas wrote:
Wasn't 'Green Tinted Sixties Mind' moderately big for them? I wouldn't call that a ballad as such, just quite psychedelia influenced rock.
The only songs I ever heard were "To Be With You" and "Wild World." Even after checking them out on YouTube and sampling the albums on Amazon, I recognized no other.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Smindas wrote:

It was over here in Florida, are stations used to have that song in regualr rotation back when the album was first released.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Smindas wrote:

It was a minor hit...an early glimpse of Paul Gilbert's love of pop rock (he wrote the song)...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:41 pm

manny wrote:
Smindas wrote:

It was over here in Florida, are stations used to have that song in regualr rotation back when the album was first released.

I seem to recall them playing the electric drill song (whatever the real title is) on tv, like the Tonight Show or Late Night with David Letterman back in the day. I don't know if they ever put it out there as a radio single, but I know I've seen them playing it on tv. I wonder if it's on YouTube?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:11 pm

I being a fan of good AOR, enjoy all their music. However, the new album is a great piece of MHR and above their other albums IMO, so those not big on their older stuff but are fans of good MHR should give them another try.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:19 pm

A perfect example of the type of bands I truly despise. Assembly line corporate rock garbage.

Monty Python
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

New album I think is real good, and heavy. Impressive band and yes overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mr. Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mr. Big   Mr. Big Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr. Big
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: