Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First use of double-bass in metal?

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
Lari
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Mglaffas81
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

First use of double-bass in metal?  Empty
PostSubject: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I was listening to Painkiler before, and the awesome drum intro got me thinking - when was the double bass first used in metal? What artists pioneered it? Was it even started in metal?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm

RAINBOW - "Kill the King" maybe?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm not a drummer so I'm no expert, but I think Dave Lombardo (Slayer) was doing double bass stuff before JP's "Painkiller"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm not a drummer so I'm no expert, but I think Dave Lombardo (Slayer) was doing double bass stuff before JP's "Painkiller"

Well yeah, but so was Lars Ulrich for example - jeeez Freddy, in all those years of being a Metallica fanatic, you never noticed the double-bass frenzy on Kill 'em All? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Mitch Mitchell played double bass in the Experience, starting in around 1968 or so.

Carl Palmer was using double bass in Atomic Rooster in 1969, playing proto-metal.

King Crimson with Bill Bruford from 72-74.

Double bass was common in heavy jazz fusion bands like Lifetime, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spectrum, Nucleus, etc.

Priest used it early, Sin After Sin has a good bit, they may have used it earlier...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm no expert in the field, but jazz drummers Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa were probably doing that sort of thing back in the 50's or earlier...

Detuned could probably chime in here and tell us more.

The first time I personally can remember hearing double-bass drumming in metal was on Motley Crue's Too Fast For Love album, but I doubt Tommy was the first.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Well yeah, but so was Lars Ulrich for example - jeeez Freddy, in all those years of being a Metallica fanatic, you never noticed the double-bass frenzy on Kill 'em All? Laughing

I dunno, I guess when listening to music I tend to "tune in" more to the guitars/bass/vocals, so for me the drums are just sort of "there" unless the guy's doing something totally ridiculous/amazing...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Here's a pic of Ginger Baker from Cream in the 60's...

First use of double-bass in metal?  Tumblr_lg6iukI0j41qgb85ao1_500

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Here's a pic of Ginger Baker from Cream in the 60's...

First use of double-bass in metal?  Tumblr_lg6iukI0j41qgb85ao1_500

Looks more like the Crypt Keeper's behind that kit. Or maybe a zombie. "BRAAAAAAAIIIIINS! BLAST BEEEEAAAATS!" Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm no expert in the field, but jazz drummers Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa were probably doing that sort of thing back in the 50's or earlier...

Detuned could probably chime in here and tell us more.

It was used as kind of a "gimmick" as early as the 30's. First recorded example I've heard is a Duke Ellington drum feature (I think it's called Skin Deep, but there were several) from 1945. There's actually a double bass drum solo in the middle of the song.

Krupa used a single kick, but he could play ANYTHING on a 4 piece kit, dude was scary.

more metal/hard rock examples...

Jethro Tull started using double bass in the mid 70's. Prominently on tracks like Hunting Girl and Heavy Horses from 1977-78. Their drummer was Barriemore Barlow who went on to play with Yngwie.

Riot was using double bass on Narita circa 1979

Motorhead's signature song Overkill in 1979

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

there's also double bass on Stargazer and A Light In The Black, from Rising the previous year.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Quote :
It was used as kind of a "gimmick" as early as the 30's. First recorded example I've heard is a Duke Ellington drum feature (I think it's called Skin Deep, but there were several) from 1945. There's actually a double bass drum solo in the middle of the song.

A little research tells me that was Duke's drummer Louis Bellson, who appears to be the pioneer of double bass drumming, starting back before WWII. Ring-a-ding-ding, cool cats!!

First use of double-bass in metal?  Louie_bellson_1297016c

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 2:49 pm

detuned wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

there's also double bass on Stargazer and A Light In The Black, from Rising the previous year.

But they weren't very fast or used for the same effect as most double bass drumming is today.

That "running double bass" effect I think started with "Kill the King" AFAIK.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Kill the King was the first thing I thought of as well. Cozy Powell was probably not the first, not even in metal, but certainly the most influential when it came to incorporating fast double bass drumming in metal the Painkiller way.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Brian Downey was doing some pretty cool double bass stuff in the 70's.

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Oh yeah! Downey! You're right.

Listen to "Sha-La-La" from Nightlife. Double bass from '74.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 1:30 am

Tommy Aldridge did a kick @$$ double bass solo with Black Oak Arkansas when I saw them in 74'

That was the first 80's style metal drum solo I ever saw headbanger

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 4:10 am

Of course there's always Judas Priest's Exciter
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 4:26 am

Ian Paice on Deep Purple's 1971 album Fireball.
Back to top Go down
Velvet Creation
Metal student
Metal student
Velvet Creation

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 7:55 am

Kill the King was also the first song that popped into my mind. God, that song is great...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First use of double-bass in metal?    First use of double-bass in metal?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First use of double-bass in metal?
Page 1 of 1