Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Over-the-Top!

Go down 
+9
exact33
metalinmyveins
Troublezone
GrandNational
mc666
jstate
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
ultmetal
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 am

Listening to a couple CDs this morning, both of which I would describe as OVER-THE-TOP for their time, but both completely opposite of each other.

NITRO - O.F.R.
NAPALM DEATH - Scum

Name some other albums you would describe as over-the-top outrageous.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 am

Good call on the Nitro Ult

Heres some I think:

Vengeance Rising-Human Sacrifice
Scatterbrain-Here Comes Trouble
Hatchery-Birth of a Bomb(Vocally anyway)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 am

Quote :

Hell yeah!

As for me, the first thing that came to mind was Ken Tamplin/Lanny Cordola's much-hyped collaboration on Magdallan's BIG BANG... which was quite possibly the most over-the-top, over-produced, over-processed, over-everything slab of cheesy AOR/hair metal/arena rock I've ever heard. I mean, even the cheesiest Def Leppard and Whitesnake albums sounded positively organic and restrained next to that thing. I don't think I ever made it all the way thru that Magdallan disc, it crashed onto my "trade pile" in record time.

Vinnie Vincent Invasion's two albums are also completely ridiculous over-the-top wankfests.

...and of course, Manowar is over the top, all the time, cuz they're real men and they play on ten. Or something. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Vinnie Vincent Invasion's two albums are also completely ridiculous over-the-top wankfests.

Agree on these two. headbanger

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 am

I love both those Nitro discs, and the Vinnie Vincent stuff for their shameless over-the-topness. If you're going to go that route go all the way, I say.

More I love...

David Lee Roth era VH and his solo stuff.
Any Gwar.

And one I'm not so fond of...
The Great Kat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm

Last Days Of Humanity - Putrefaction In Progress

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:44 pm

mc666 wrote:

Sounds pretty intense. Never heard this album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 1:35 pm

MC666 would know this better than I do, but my guess is that the first Mayhem demo/EP falls into this category in '86/'87
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 pm

jstate wrote:

Any Gwar.

Oh, yass!! \'arry \'eadbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Sounds pretty intense. Never heard this album.
imagine ND's Scum amped up on methamphetamine & exploding in a psychopathic murderous rage.

GrandNational wrote:
MC666 would know this better than I do, but my guess is that the first Mayhem demo/EP falls into this category in '86/'87
Pure F*cking Armageddon... at the time, that was the rawest of the raw. even Hellhammer didn't sound as grim.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

I bet most of MC's collection the rest of us would consider over the top! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Anything by Yngwie is a wank fest.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Anything by Yngwie is a wank fest.

Do you mean like this?

If anyone wants to know the kick count in this video, it stands at 10, plus three half kicks, which is a grand total of 11 1/2. David Lee Roth would be so proud of Yngwie...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Rhapsody - Triumph or Opera... err Agony...

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I'd put Blind Guardian's "Nightfall In Middle Earth" in this category.

I mean, I love the album but with all the interludes, the choral vocals, the "orchestration", I find it way over the top in the "progmetal, concept album" category.

I'd also put Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play" in the over the top category. Any album that opens with a 14 minute bloated opus and continues to have more than half the tracks clock in at over 5 minutes plus is "over the top".

The difference is...I like the Blind Guardian disc; I loathe the Nightwish disc.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Jessrox

Number of posts : 19

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Poisen's ''Look what the cat dragged in'' was probley the heaviest musically for them, but the image was insane over the top ga-hey FREAKY AND WIERD. When I first saw the album cover I was Like ''look Hot chicks'' and then I looked a little closer and puked in my mouth and beat the crap out of my self for calling these dudes hot chicks! LOL!!!! All glam bands of the eighty's that went drag, were way over the top. I hated that image and couldn't understand it at all.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:17 pm

I thought the first two Bride cds were over the top, then I saw them onstage for "Live To Die" and it was like "wow, this is crazy stuff" Dale hadn't been lifting weights then and was kinda thin....but the dude could scream for a long long long long time.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Sunn 0))) for their over the top Earth/drone worship. Venom was pretty over the top in their own right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

Over-the-Top! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Over-the-Top!   Over-the-Top! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Over-the-Top!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: