Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)

Go down 
+12
exact33
Fat Freddy
speed101
manny
ultmetal
kmorg
Temple of Blood
Smindas
James B.
Troublezone
Big Rich
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:43 pm

This is RICH (SUC). Thought I'd share the news.

Just posted by Circle II Circle's Mitch Stewart on FB:I am saddened as can be. I JUST got the call from Oz.... My friend and Brother in music has gone on to the other side. R.I.P. Matt LaPorte You will be truly missed.Goddamnit..... I'm just not believing this myself.... The news came a few minutes ago from Oliva to us in the CIIC camp. ALL of us are heartbroken and sad. Just having a hard time believing Matt is gone.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Sorry to hear. RIP
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 pm

My condolences to his friends and family

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 2:49 am

...what. I really did not expect that at all (honestly, I'm surprised Jon Oliva is outliving that guy). Terrible news, Matt's a fantastic guitarist and it was great getting the chance to see him at ProgPower UKII (the one time JOP came over here, back in 2007). He did a great rendition of Criss Oliva's parts as well.

I guess this is why Jon Oliva passed on the European TSO tour - the official release said something like a family illness, this seems close enough.

R.I.P. LaPorte.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 6:13 am

I can't believe this. We've lost another one. He was one of the very best current metal guitarists and did an amazing job with the Criss Oliva material.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:08 am

NOOOOOOOOO, that is beyond terrible!!!! That came out of nowhere. Crying or Very sad

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:30 am

Sad news.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 am

Very sad news
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 am

Never heard of him but RIP
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 am

Sad news . R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 am

speed101 wrote:
Never heard of him but RIP

Do yourself a favor and listen to him.

I found out he died in his sleep. Great to know since he was such a good guy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Damn, that sucks. R.I.P.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 pm

RIP

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Sad news. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 am

smurf poo, horrible news. Totally ruined my night. And I was on a high after the Blackhawks beat the Canucks. This certainly puts things in perspective.

A great guitarist, tremendous talent, versatile in style, but playing heavy metal the way I love it, keeping it interesting all the time. He also did Criss Oliva's songs justice. I loved his playing. A shame I only saw him live once and clearly he had gained weight fast and looked like someone who'd have health issues, but this doesn't take away the shock.

You'll be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Matt!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 7:59 pm

That sucks! Such a great guitarist. I love his work on the JOP albums and the first Circle II Circle album. Such a huge loss.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am

Here is an article from our local paper (Tampa) where he is from:

SEMINOLE — In Europe, Matt LaPorte was a star. Heavy metal fans thousands deep absorbed his racing guitar riffs and soaring sonatas for the band Jon Oliva's Pain.

Type his name in YouTube and you'll see why. In two of the first videos under "Matt LaPorte," he demonstrates the guitar portion of Oliva's compositions for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Though he did not play for TSO, Mr. LaPorte knew those musicians and was considered a top-tier guitarist.

At Seminole Music and Sound, where he taught for more than 15 years, Mr. LaPorte was known more for the way he cajoled and pushed his students to attain the same heights he had reached, usually while nursing a cherry-flavored Diet Dr Pepper from a 50-cent machine in the hall.

Mr. LaPorte, who was revered by metal fans locally and in other countries and was known for his sure-fingered mastery of the guitar and deep musical knowledge, died April 20, apparently in his sleep.

He was 40.

"Matt showed me how to play in front of 10,000 people and do it with huge attitude," said Jerry Outlaw, a fellow guitarist in Jon Oliva's Pain.

"He taught me six months of college-level music theory in a 45-minute lesson," said Mark Napier, 45, a student for the last several months.

His everyday personality was nearly as quiet as his music was loud. He refrained from eating meat or "anything with a face on it," but made up for it with cheese pizzas and veggie subs.

Students knew he had been there, done that.

Mr. LaPorte was born in Clearwater, but spent part of his childhood in Minnesota before returning to Pinellas County for good. He got his first electric guitar at age 12.

"He went to a professional guitar school in Minneapolis, stayed one semester and said, 'I already know all that stuff,' " said Sharon Paul, his mother.

He played with several local bands, then joined Big Brother, which drew crowds for years to Gators Cafe and Saloon in Treasure Island. In 2003, he played his first concert with the band that would later be renamed Jon Oliva's Pain.

He never married. "He would have been an awful husband," his mother said, "because his whole life was his music."

Mr. LaPorte went to bed at about 3 a.m. April 20, his mother said. About 12 hours later, his roommate noticed Mr. LaPorte's breathing was labored. Mr. LaPorte did not recover. Authorities have not pinpointed a cause of death. His family suspects sleep apnea.

At the time of his death, Mr. LaPorte was nearly finished writing and recording music for his own version of Jesus Christ Superstar.

Apart from Saturday's funeral service, fellow musicians are planning a celebration of life in mid to late May.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 10:11 am

RIP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)   R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Matt LaPorte (Jitterbug)
Page 1 of 1