Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)

Go down 
+8
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
chewie
speed101
ultmetal
stepcousin
12 posters
AuthorMessage
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Empty
PostSubject: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 am

Man, how awesome of a year this was for Metallica. Gotta love the Mustaine years! I recently heard a "remastered" version of "No Life Til Leather" with the guitars turned up louder than the original demo and it sounds spectacular.

So, what do you guys think of the year 1982 for Metallica?

Last edited by stepcousin on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 5:23 am

wow, I thought there were more metalheads here. I know somebody out there has heard these.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 am

I have heard them. They were great!

Did you read the autobiography "Mustaine"? Dave goes into great detail about these demos and his role in the band.

Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 9:10 am

I need to get that No Life Til Leather
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 am

Idig that one! I'd like to hear this "remastered" version, too.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:16 pm

I've had this bootleg for the better part of 20 years. It's called "One Last Visit", and is the "No Life Til Leather" demos w/ Killing Time and Let It Loose. These were all recorded in 1982 in Ron McGovney's garage at various times.

http://samscrap-sam.blogspot.com/2007/01/metallica-one-last-visit-with-dave.html

I also have this bootleg called "Night of the Rivvit-Heads". Most of the boot is from a show at the Old Waldorf on 10-18-82 in San Fran (and what I believe is the earliest bootleg recording of the band).

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/album-groupe-Metallica-nom_album-Night_of_the_Rivvit*Heads-l-en.html
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I have this bootleg:
Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Bay+Area+Thrashers+The+Early+Days

It claims to be "early live recordings" but from what I've gathered, it's just the "No Life Til Leather" demo tape with fake crowd noise stripped in.

The quality sucks so I never listen to it, I just keep it around as a collectors' item/conversation piece. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have this bootleg:
Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Bay+Area+Thrashers+The+Early+Days

It claims to be "early live recordings" but from what I've gathered, it's just the "No Life Til Leather" demo tape with fake crowd noise stripped in.

The quality sucks so I never listen to it, I just keep it around as a collectors' item/conversation piece. Very Happy

Too me it is funny seeing them labeled as a Bay Area Thrash band. They had already established themselves in El Lay before moving north. Oh well... I used to have a cassette and some VHS footage from the Mustaine years, but it got misplaced, stolen or lost over the years. I still have my memories of seeing Slayer with the make-up and 'Tallica with Dave and Ron.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have this bootleg:

I got the same thing. When I heard this I could tell right away that it was the no life til leather demo with the added crowed noise. I'll have to check out that remastered version because I don't know how anyone can make that demo sound good.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I have this bootleg:

I got the same thing. When I heard this I could tell right away that it was the no life til leather demo with the added crowed noise. I'll have to check out that remastered version because I don't know how anyone can make that demo sound good.

Yep, as soon as I heard this disc I also recognized it as the NO LIFE... tracks immediately, and I was like "Damn, I got screwed." Haha. But then I figured what the hell, it's a curiosity item and at least I didn't pay big $$ for it - I got it at a flea market for $10 if memory serves.

I downloaded the "One Last Visit..." version posted at the top in this thread (thanx for that!) and it's definitely one of the better quality copies of NO LIFE that I've heard. I've had/heard numerous copies of that demo over the years (dubbed tapes, on bootleg albums/CDs, and downloads) and almost all of 'em have sounded like ass. I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:40 pm

I'll have to check out that remastered version because I don't know how anyone can make that demo sound good.

trust me when I say it sounds incredible.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I'll have to check out that remastered version because I don't know how anyone can make that demo sound good.

trust me when I say it sounds incredible.

I downloaded it, I don't really think it sounded that great just the guitars were louder. Still fuzzy, I don't expect it to be great though. thats how things were done back in that time.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 am

I downloaded it, I don't really think it sounded that great just the guitars were louder. Still fuzzy, I don't expect it to be great though. thats how things were done back in that time.

Even with the "remastering" technology available today, there's only so much you can do with a nearly 30-year-old cassette tape, unless you have access to the original masters.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm

stepcousin wrote:
wow, I thought there were more metalheads here. I know somebody out there has heard these.
Pity reply.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm

None of the links here are to the so-called remaster, right? And if they are, it's ripped at 160kps, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway!

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 5:05 pm

The only Metallica I listen to is the Mustaine era stuff.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
stepcousin wrote:
Pity reply.

bite me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)   Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica '82 (NLTL, Power Metal, Ron's Garage)
Page 1 of 1