Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steve Jobs killed the music industry

Go down 
+12
Lurideath
adrian
mc666
exact33
Eyesore
manny
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Troublezone
BillRoxx
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steve Jobs killed the music industry   Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Yep!!!! In fact, in the 70's the record industry tried to stop the manufacture and sale of cassette records and blank cassette tapes - they thought it would be the death of the industry. Instead, record sales reached new heights in the 80's.

Remember the little "HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC!" logos that used to be on the back of some LPs?

A couple of Venom albums had a parody of that logo on the back that said "HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC -- SO IS VENOM" Hahaha.

That is why I loved those Satan loving bastards, they took nothing seriously
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Steve Jobs killed the music industry   Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:57 am

I just think it's all too little too late. It's all available for FREE if you want it. They're closing the barn doors after the horses already ran loose. No matter what new technology comes down the pike, if folks can get it for free, they will.

Here's an interesting article about AT&T limiting bandwidth usage. Granted, it's a comedy website and the article is done with humor, but the general idea is there. Among other things, it mentions that if you limit bandwidth usage, it could, in theory, force more people to turn away from their computers and seek out the actual item, be it music, books or movies in order to save bandwidth.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-secretly-horrifying-implications-atts-bandwidth-caps/

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Steve Jobs killed the music industry   Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 am

aside from doing things like essentially mandating poverty, capitalism is usually pretty bad for art.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Steve Jobs killed the music industry   Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:26 am

ultmetal wrote:
I think there are lots of reasons the music industry is going down the tubes and digital downloading is just one of them.

However, I do agree that kids today are missing out on an experience that I had growing up. There was nothing like going into the record store and holding those albums in your hand, taking it home and placing in on the stereo for that first listen. Mine wasn't an allowance, but the money I earned mowing lawns in my neighborhood. Even hanging out at the local record stores was part of the experience. It was almost like you were part of something.

cool

Agree with all of that, earning money to buy what you wanted, so you paid more attention to it,
and the experience / camaraderie of hanging out at your favourite record store.

1) You looked at all the album's in the bins if only to look at cover art and learn what bands were out there,
2) listening to what they played over their turntable (and for me, it was hearing S.O.D.'s first album before it was on college radio, or maybe an ANTHRAX live bootleg LP covering Suicidal Tendencies "War Inside My Head"),
3) hearing news or stories about famous or local musicians that was not talked about in the press, etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steve Jobs killed the music industry   Steve Jobs killed the music industry - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steve Jobs killed the music industry
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2