Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Different Iced Earth Topic

Go down 
+3
ultmetal
Smindas
spiritoradio
7 posters
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Different Iced Earth Topic Empty
PostSubject: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:53 am

I read somewhere that Matt Barlow recorded some if not all the tracks on Glorious Burden. He had previously told John Schaffer that he wanted to leave the band but Schaffer talked him into staying and recording the album, but Barlow's vocals lacked the power and emotion that he once had so Schaffer let him go and re-recorded the album with Tim Owens. Has anyone heard of this and if this did happen does anyone have a boot of the album with Barlow's vocals?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 7:40 am

Yeah, I've heard this story many times and it's clearly true as you listen carefully on The Glorious Burden, you can hear Matt's voiced used in a lot of the backing vocals. Attilla is the most obvious example of this. Anyway, I don't think a boot of the Matt version will ever surface as I recall something about it getting destroyed when Shaffer's basement flooded. A real shame actually, I'd have loved to hear Matt's take on something like The Reckoning.

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 pm

I wonder how much truth there is in the notion that Matt underperformed. I wonder if that's just Jon trying to justify to the fans why he re-recorded the vocals with Tim. I have no doubt that Matt was unhappy; I think he's proved that with his drastic career change. But did he do a bad job? I'm not so sure, especially considering his voice can be heard still.

I'd definitely like to hear those songs with him singing them, but what if Jon is telling the truth? What if Jon's vocals were bad?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm

I don't know about underperforming or "bad vocals". I never heard Jon
say they were 'bad' in any interview. I just think Matt wasn't into
Iced Earth like he once was, so he didn't give it all he had.
Apparently he was just going through the motions. I can understand how
that could happen, especially with how 9/11 affected him. It might not
have been bad, but at the same time it might not have been what
Jon was looking for. I think this is much closer to the truth, and
basically what I have read.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:35 pm

if Priest had a version of Demolition with Halford on vox, it would still suck. same situation here.

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Yeah, I've never heard Jon refer to the vocals as 'bad'. He's just always said how he could tell Matt wasn't in to it and really didn't want to be doing it. Which makes sense seeing as Jon had to persuade him to stay in the band anyway.

And yeah, I agree with mc666. However, it may be slightly better in some ways as presumably the songs were written with Matt's voice in mind.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 9:34 pm

I suspect what really happened was Jon wanted Tim now that he was free from JP and they concocted a story so Matt wouldn't lose face since he is such a prominent long-standing band member.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:14 am

I don't know. I'm pretty sure that Matt has backed the story as well, saying he wanted to go into law enforcement and no longer wanted to live the rock and roll lifestyle, being on the road and whatnot. I don't know why Jon would have any reason to lie.

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:22 am

Quote :
I just think Matt wasn't into Iced Earth like he once was, so he didn't give it all he had.

That's the deal...Barlow & Schaffer have both said so. Barlow was affected deeply by 9/11 and just wasn't as focused on IE as he once was...both he & Schaffer could "hear it" in Matt's vocals...he wasn't giving it 100% of his attention and it showed. He didn't sing it badly, he just didn't care as much...
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:24 am

1. I deffinately read a press release/news bit where Schaffer said that Matt's vocals were seriously lacking because his heart wasn't in it any longer and that Matt hadn't practiced in over a year or so before going into the studio to record.

2. Matt is now in Pyramaze and has stated that he will not be in a touring band any longer and that Pyramaze, other than a few festival dates, will not do any touring. That was one of his stipulations to joining any kind of band these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:05 am

Yeah, 9/11...law enforcement...shifting focus...not wanting to tour...etc...all correct. It was not a case of Schaffer letting him go for "bad vocals" or anything...it was mutual...
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:17 pm

that would actually be cool to hear barlow on some of those songs

although i must say i am playing the glorious burden now and riper does a very good job
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different Iced Earth Topic   Different Iced Earth Topic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different Iced Earth Topic
Page 1 of 1