Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Empty
PostSubject: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Got into this band from a friend who is a huge fan. Last year I ended up going to a concert of theirs. I only heard a few songs and didn't own anything so I really didn't know too much about them at the time except what my friend had shown me. They supposedly had a hit in the 80's with the song Under The Milky Way but I never heard it until my friend played it for me. I wasn't crazy about it but he showed me some more songs and I thought they were pretty decent. When the show came up my friend had an extra ticket so I figured what the hell. They played an all accoustic best of set. I really enjoyed the show and became an official fan that. I was lucky enough to meet Steve Kilby before and after the show, got the bands autographs etc.

Today my friend posted something on facebook about Steve Kilby and the Church so that made me want to listen to something and I just went through what I had. In the interview I read "In concert, Kilbey says, “I don’t mind doing the old stuff — I kind of enjoy it.” Everything, that is, except “The Unguarded Moment.” “I don’t know why, but I never really liked that song. I didn’t even like it when I wrote it!” I thought that was pretty funny. I went to see if I had that song and unfortunetly I don't as it is on their first album. So I decided to put on Gold Afternoon Fix instead. What a great album. It's not fast or slow, just kind of a mellow rocking rock album. Something you can just put on sit back and listen to. I would definetly recommend this album for anyone who would be starting out on the band.

One of my favorite songs off this one is Metropolis

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:15 pm

I have that album still on tape and it is an excellent album, they were a great band and released a series of classic albums in their 80's heyday
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Yea their newer stuff is a little bit more spacey where as the older stuff is a little more rocking which is what I like. Even some of the newer stuff though I like a lot but I tend to like the earlier stuff best.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Under the Milky Way is the only song I know by them. Aren't they sorta gothy?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Yea their newer stuff is a little bit more spacey where as the older stuff is a little more rocking which is what I like. Even some of the newer stuff though I like a lot but I tend to like the earlier stuff best.

I have the album in question and a later one I got recently and I agree with you. The newer stuff sounds a bit too mellow for me and I don't know when I'm going to listen to it. I got into this band due to their guitarist's work with All About Eve. While I like his work with that band more, Gold Afternoon Fix is still a fine album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Under the Milky Way is the only song I know by them. Aren't they sorta gothy?

Not at all. They're just australian.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I have the album in question and a later one I got recently and I agree with you. The newer stuff sounds a bit too mellow for me and I don't know when I'm going to listen to it. I got into this band due to their guitarist's work with All About Eve. While I like his work with that band more, Gold Afternoon Fix is still a fine album.

Which other album do you have?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Sometime Anywhere. Not exactly as newer as I thought (I just looked and it's from 1994) but when listening to it it was just too slow and mellow. I might give it a spin when I'm ready to go to sleep.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:50 pm

ah yea that one is pretty mellow. All their albums are up and down. They aren't all the same.

PostSubject: Re: The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix   The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Church- Gold Afternoon Fix
Page 1 of 1