Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A question about mic preamps...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

A question about mic preamps... Empty
PostSubject: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Is there an alternative to a preamp? I'm just wondering, because I don't have one, but I have plenty of other stuff, so maybe the alternative is laying around somewhere. So, any help is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 am

What are you recording? What type of mics? What device are you recording into?

Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm recording myself in studio and mixing that with other tracks of my band. The mic's a Shure SM58. I'm recording into a small recording thing my friend has, I'm not sure of its specifics.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 2:26 pm

You shouldn't need a separate mic preamp unless you are having trouble getting a decent recording level or if you're getting unwanted distortion on your playback tracks when you listen back to what was just recorded. Most recorders now have fairly decent preamps built in.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Mine doesn't; it's upsetting. It's a bit old, from what I figure.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 am

What other stuff do you have? there might be something in there you could use.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I have an old mixer, cables for anything you could ever need, an old recording interface, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 2:16 pm

If you run your mic through a channel on your old mixer, then connect it to the recorder you are using, you can use the mixer as your mic preamp and the channel volume to control your recording level.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

The recording device most likely requires a line level input, your microphone puts out a mic level signal (too low to be detected by a line level input). That's why you need some sort of pre-amplification, so it can be boosted to line level.

Most mixing boards have mic preamps built in (edit: per bassman's post, test this), if yours doesn't have one, there are plenty of outboard preamps available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question about mic preamps...   A question about mic preamps... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question about mic preamps...
Page 1 of 1