Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about promo stamps...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Question about promo stamps... Empty
PostSubject: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 2:20 pm

I got a copy of Dio's Strange Highways with one of those gold promo stamps on it, and today I replaced it with an copy without it... is the promo copy worth holding onto as a collectors item?
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 2:28 pm

No, probably not. It's just a common CD with a promo stamp. I think the only promo items that are typically worth something are promotional only singles and EPs that were never available to the general public, typically with non-LP tracks or remixes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Album promos are generally only worth something if the songs are different, which sometimes they are. For instance, I have a System Of A Down promo of their first album which is essentially an early mix of the album. Three songs have pretty prominent differences (just effects, no intros, etc.), and "Spiders" is listed as "Slow." These kinds of promos are worth something.

Yours is not. It's just the retail version with a promo stamp.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I've gotten dozens of old promotional CDs in used CD stores over the years. I always chuckle at the legal lingo on'em, i.e. "This CD is the property of (name of record label) and must be returned on demand."

Do the labels ever demand their return? Cuz they can have mine when they pry them from my cold dead fingers!!

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 4:23 pm

Labels have no legal right to demand them back anyway. It's just nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about promo stamps...   Question about promo stamps... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about promo stamps...
Page 1 of 1