Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?

Go down 
+29
mlotek
Certif1ed
stepcousin
metalken
JBall_Z
chewie
MoonChild
metalinmyveins
iamrockerfun
mr.electric39
bassman
DeathCult
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
Metal Misfit
nevermore
exact33
TheDoctor'sScarf
Addy
Thrasher73
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
manny
James B.
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Heaviest, hardest rocking CD of 1979?
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap27%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 13 ]
Accept - Accept
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap0%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Aerosmith - Night in the Ruts
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap2%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Angel - White Hot
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap0%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Blue Öyster Cult - Mirrors
 0% [ 0 ]
Gamma - Gamma 1
 0% [ 0 ]
Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes (EP)
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap6%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap31%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 31% [ 15 ]
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
 0% [ 0 ]
Motörhead - Overkill / Bomber
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap20%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 10 ]
Samson - Survivors
 0% [ 0 ]
Saxon - Saxon
 0% [ 0 ]
Scorpions - Lovedrive
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap4%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose/A Rock Legend
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap6%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Van Halen - Van Halen II
1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_lcap4%1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Empty
PostSubject: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:17 am

Hard 'n' Heavy 1979. The press was declaring the heavy metal was dead, but it was simply gearing up for Round #2. By the next year the NWOBHM movement would be in full swing and the U.S. metal scene would begin a revolution as well. Still '79 gave us some great albums.

Once again I deleted the live albums from the list, since there were too many albums. However, Strangers in the Night and Unleashed in the East are two seminal albums from two of the greatest heavy metal bands to grace the planet. Queen's Live Killers marked the end of an era for Queen as well. They would shed the hard rock/heavy metal and head into a more pop/radio friendly direction in 1980.

Aerosmith's "Night in the Ruts" is at least as heavy as "Rocks" and is one of their most underrated gems IMO. It's actually heavier/harder than "Draw the Line". Accept & Saxon released their first album but neither band had truly found their sound yet. Maiden's Soundhouse Tapes were released, but their revolution would begin with their self-titled full length. Hard to pick between "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Overkill" as the heaviest but I had to go with JUDAS PRIEST on this one. Doesn't get much heavier than that in '79 IMO.

Which rocks the heaviest and hardest?

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Accept - Accept
Aerosmith - Night in the Ruts
Angel - White Hot
Blue Öyster Cult - Mirrors
Gamma - Gamma 1
Iron Maiden - The Soundhouse Tapes (EP)
Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Motörhead - On Parole (recorded in '75, not released until '79)
Motörhead - Overkill
Motörhead - Bomber
Queen - Live Killers
KISS - Dynasty
Samson - Survivors
Saxon - Saxon
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose/A Rock Legend
UFO - Strangers In The Night
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Whitesnake - Lovehunter

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:23 am

Woof...these are getting tough!!!

Of the stuff on this list, I've probably listened to Van Halen's II, Scorpions' LOVEDRIVE and Priest's HELLBENT FOR LEATHER (aka KILLING MACHINE) most often. In fact, I've kinda made myself a little sick of the Priest album over the years so it doesn't get much play anymore (haha).

Y'know what? I was just listening to that Scorpions album yesterday and it still sounds frickin great. So it's gonna get the nod from me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:23 am

Tough one..... I went with The Soundhouse Tapes because Maiden was about to be unleashed to the world!!! Could have easily been AC/DC (H2H is such a CLASSIC, AWESOME release), Motorhead (the classic lineup!), Scorpions (another GREAT release with the new lineup!!!) or Priest - Unleashed (one of the greatest live albums of all time)
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 am

Priest and Scorps....again neck and neck

Angus and Malcolm's tone on "H2H" gets my vote this time

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 am

AC/DC's Highway to Hell. This was the first rock band and first album I ever got into and Bon Scott is still my favorite vocalist in rock history
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:47 am

Highway.

I'll always have a soft spot for that album because I used it to annoy my high and mighty "Christian" dorm mates back in college.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 am

Hellbent For Leather

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 am

Motorhead. Just because.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Motorhead. Just because.

When I started posting this thread I had every intention of voting for Motorhead. Overkill is a stinkin' heavy album, but then songs like "Delivering the Goods", "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Burnin' Up" kept going through my head! Those songs defined heavy for me when I discovered this album in high school.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 am

I've been on a bit of a Motorhead kick lately, in anticipation of the new album, so I figured I'd show them some love.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 am

Those Motorhead albums must have sounded like it came from another world back in 1979, heavier then anything else that came before it and also faster then anyone else, even out punking the punks, even Johnny Rotten declared himself a fan.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Hellbent For Leather

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 am

Voted for Hell bent for Leather as far as Heaviness goes but my favorite from that list would be Highway to Hell.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 am

Did not really care for Night in the Ruts so I went with my fav ACDC Album Highway to Hell
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am

I love 'Night in the Ruts' IMO a very underrated album, and would even better if they did not cover 'Walking in the Sand' a song I never cared for.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 am

funny thing is thats one of the only songs I liked on Night in the Ruts
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:58 am

manny wrote:
I love 'Night in the Ruts' IMO a very underrated album, and would even better if they did not cover 'Walking in the Sand' a song I never cared for.

I remember getting that album on cassette and not caring much for it. It wasn't until years later when I got Aerosmith's Box of Fire that I upgraded to cd and found it to be much more enjoyable than I thought. Even 'Walking In the Sand'

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, I quite like "Walking In the Sand" as well. In fact, I highly believe that Night in the Ruts and Rock In a Hard Place with Draw the Line are Aerosmith's most underrated work.

As far as the poll goes, it's Motorhead even though I pretty much love everything else on there.

Overkill and Bomber laid the groundwork for an entire sub-genre of metal that came into prominence in the 80s. headbanger They're both very consistent and just epitomize heaviness. Both are just brilliant!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

I remember getting that album on cassette and not caring much for it. It wasn't until years later when I got Aerosmith's Box of Fire that I upgraded to cd and found it to be much more enjoyable than I thought. Even 'Walking In the Sand'

Wow! Really? "No Surprise" is classic Aerosmith and also an autobiographical song. Killer riffs and licks! I've always loved the heavy blues of "Three Mile Smile/Refer Head Woman". "Think About It" and "Chiquita" are great, hard rocking songs as well. I can understand why people wouldn't like "Remember (Walking in the Sand)", but I've always liked it.

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Apparently more people agree with MG, Ben and Addy when it comes to 'Walking in the Sand' since it was included on their multi-platinum 'Greatest Hits' album
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

I voted AC/DC - Highway to Hell but I could have easily voted for Priest. I am surprised in the midst of the disco era just how many good albums were being released!

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Many great ones once again. Hellbent is such a classic though and influenced so many bands I went with it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Lots of great albums on that list. But my vote goes to Highway To Hell. This album floored me when I first heard it and it's one of my all time favorites.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Almost went with Lovedrive but I'm gonna have to go with Hell Bent for Leather.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:53 pm

manny wrote:
Apparently more people agree with MG, Ben and Addy when it comes to 'Walking in the Sand' since it was included on their multi-platinum 'Greatest Hits' album

Growing up in a household where doo-wop, Motown and other "oldies" were on constant rotation, I was way familiar with the original version (The Shangri-La's I think). The idea of one of "my bands" covering it was pretty cool. I even remember playing it for my dad.

As for not caring for Night in the Ruts originally, eh, I guess it was just a case of youthful ignorance. 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? 436688

PostSubject: Re: 1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?   1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1979! Is Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Dead?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next