Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dee Snider's Widowmaker

Go down 
+5
nevermore
manny
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Dee Snider's Widowmaker Empty
PostSubject: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 am

I'm spinning Widowmaker's Blood & Bullets this morning. I've never pulled the trigger on it's follow-up Stand By For Pain. I've seen it in used shops and it sells pretty cheap on Amazon. I'm not sure why I've never picked it up as I like the debut so much, even if it's a little inconsistant in the song selection. Trying to be more aggresive & heavier than Twisted, but still commercial, radio-friendly, also like (latter day) Twisted. Eh, a minor quibble.

So, any thoughts on Stand By For Pain?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:51 am

I loved (and still love) BLOOD & BULLETS -- I even saw the band live when they were touring for that record -- but I have only vague memories of STAND BY FOR PAIN. I bought it when it was a new release and for whatever reason it just didn't grab me by the nards the way B&B did. If memory serves it was a bit angrier/nastier than B&B, which normally would've been just fine by me, but it just seemed like ole Dee was trying too hard to fit in with the more "aggro" '90s metal sound. I kept it around for a while and eventually traded it off.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I only have SBFP and i like it a lot... I wanna get the first one too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 1:01 pm

I liked 'Stand Up for Pain' I thought it was a great album, but I do agree that Dee and the boys where trying to fit in with the metal scene of that era.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 pm

I agree with the others that Stand By For Pain was the band's attempt at fitting into a heavier 90's metal sound. It's not a terrible album but it doesn't stick with you like Blood And Bullets does.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 2:45 pm

I only have Blood and Bullets but would like to latch onto Stand By For Pain at some point.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Stand By For Pain is one of my all time favorite albums. I have never head Blood and Bullets. So I can't compare the two but Stand By For Pain is excellent to me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:16 pm

I like Stand By For Pain as much as B&B. Stand By For Pain is a nastier sounding record, but they play in a style closer to some Fear Factory as opposed to TS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:13 am

I think the second WIDOWMAKER album was horrible. I trade it because it sounded to modern for my liking. Still, i love the first album by the band. Will be nice to listen to a new WIDOWMAKER album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Widowmaker   Dee Snider's Widowmaker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dee Snider's Widowmaker
Page 1 of 1