Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The word talent.

Go down 
+6
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
ryanmetalman
manny
fingers
10 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 am

At college my techer says to everyone "There's no such thing as talent" and I actually was opposed to that statement he made. Just want to know what your opinions on it do you think he's telling the truth? IMHO I think hes full of smurf saying it
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am

I think your college teacher sucks ass
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 am

That's a very strange statement. I wonder how he came up with that idea
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

He may be making a statement about opinions.

Though there are those that many of us think are undeniably talented, I can guarantee you that someone will disagree.
Back to top Go down

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:56 am

But the word "douchebag" is alive and well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 pm

So the phrase "no-talent-ass-clown" is still technically valid, in your professor's eyes. Whew. That's a relief.

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm guessing here but, I wonder if they are saying that based on the idea that anyone can be anything they want to if they work hard enough. It's what we're told to tell our kids. I don't buy it though, find what they're good at and have them work hard in those areas. I'm not an artist and though I learned some basics, there are people with natural talent who's art will always be better then mine.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 pm

I believe in 'natural talent' *to an extent*. I believe in 80% hard work for results in 'talent' that is there already or otherwise, those other factors will take up the rest of the percentage but cannot dominate it. Insofar as the nature of 'talent', call it brain chemistry, a matter of chance and genetics the same way hereditary diabetes or other things tend to be. To reference again the 80%, I generally believe anyone can compete with anyone on some kind of advanced level on most anything if that percentage of work/will is full. Beyond those points is 'talent' which can't be controlled and therefore IMO isn't fair to judge beyond like or dislike of the result..
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

I have a talent for sniffing out B.S., and I detect that your teacher is full of it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Louder wrote:
I have a talent for sniffing out B.S., and I detect that your teacher is full of it.

Laughing very hard What he said.

Reminds me of a music teacher I had in junior high who abso-freakin-lutely HATED it when someone said that a song had a "good beat." He would go off hollering "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD BEAT! A BEAT IS JUST A BEAT! 'GOOD' IS IN THE EAR OF THE BEHOLDER!" and yadda yadda yadda. I guess he had a point but the way he would go all Niedermeyer about it was hilarious. Once word got around school about what a short fuse this guy had, people would say it on purpose just to piss him off. Razz

As I understand it, he was asked to leave his position a few years after I moved on to high school, cuz he threw a chair out into the hallway in a fit of rage and narrowly missed hitting a student. Interesting guy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:01 am

manny wrote:
I think your college teacher sucks ass

Thank You that was the answer I was waiting to hear humble headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 am

I believe in talent but even if you have talent you still have to work at it to refine it and to develop it.

Sounds like this teacher has No Talent
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 am

I present one such example supporting my 80/20 Work/Talent idea.. (maybe 70/30 in some cases, but work > talent, still):

also, Chinese girl judge is gorgeous.

Always do keep in mind the ENORMOUS pressure and influence that various forms of media have on the public that bends us, even if we're not at all aware of it, to notice one thing as talent/quality, another as nothing, etc. Happens all the time on metal forums. Also remember the source of many people's "I can't" has a lot to do with actually not understanding their own sliver of 'talent'...e.g., a singer is often going to think they can't do anything because they weren't born with voice type A, B, or C, or they don't sound like their favorite singer. The reason their favorite singer is so good is because they excelled within THEIR OWN realm of possibility, and the pupil needs to do so as well to achieve excellence, which shall stay excellence regardless of whether it gains public approval.
Back to top Go down

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 12:12 pm

It's like OCI has this talent to write wordy posts I barely understand. I could never do that.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
It's like OCI has this talent to write wordy posts I barely understand. I could never do that.

you and me both. Try chatting with OCI - I might as well just type random words Smile

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:37 pm

I would suppose that means there's not much point in posting, so..
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I would suppose that means there's not much point in posting, so..

i was joking! Your a cool cat Smile

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:59 pm

random words typing lemme try

homogenus sapien guitar pizza stone muzzle bone

Nah doesnt work heh
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Didn't say I don't like your posts OCI.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The word talent. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The word talent.   The word talent. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The word talent.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: