Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help a tech-challenged fool, please.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Empty
PostSubject: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm interested in getting an external hard drive.

I have a few thousand pics and about 5000 songs (with more of both always on the way) to store, not to mention documents and what not.

I want something that's as user friendly as possible. Want to be able to rip cds and upload pics to my computer, then send them to the external hard drive and then free that space up on my computer again. It's getting sluggish.

I also don't want to go broke. Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_biggrin

Where do I go from here? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I like Western Digitals line of externals. Economical and reliable.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:43 pm

exact33 wrote:
They seem to have the worst reviews, though. At least they did when I bought mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069

I have that one, and it's great. Never had a problem with it. Easy to use, too. Just plug it in, basically.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Seagate is the way to go, I got a 1 TB drive for under $100 at Best Buy several months back. I have a Western Digital that's real noisy, I'm afraid to use it any longer.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm

exact33 wrote:

My thoughts exactly I have a Western Digital Worldbook 1 Terrabyte the diff between that and the other ones is mine hooks into the router so I can access it from any computer, I have about 8000 on my External and I have plenty of room

1 terrabyte is a good size IMO
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
They seem to have the worst reviews, though. At least they did when I bought mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069

I have that one, and it's great. Never had a problem with it. Easy to use, too. Just plug it in, basically.

Ive heard nothing but bad things about Seagate
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

Scotty (or anyone else), if you want a Western Digital I'd sell my 1TB for $50 plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I have 4 externals totalling 2 TB in size and 1 that is still in the box. Externals are so user friendly all you need to know is how to send them to the external. I know with Windows 7 you can actually send your music to an external and still have it on your PC.
Older PC's are not able to do that especially with some OS once you transfer the file it is tranfered where as with Windows 7 it doesn't do that!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone! This has helped and I'll be pulling the trigger on this soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help a tech-challenged fool, please.   Help a tech-challenged fool, please. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help a tech-challenged fool, please.
Page 1 of 1