Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fantasy Series Recommendations

Go down 
+4
exact33
Eyesore
chewie
DallasBlack
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Fantasy Series Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Does anyone know any good fantasy series they can recommend for me apart from Shannara, Landover, or Xanth and don't span more than 3-4 books (i.e. no Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind)? There is just so much out there and I need to narrow the search a bit and I don't want to accidently pick any that will turn out to be utter pig swill.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Greenwood's "Spellfire" series

Feist's "Riftwar Saga" series (1st three books)
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Dragonriders Of Pern Trilogy - Anne McCaffrey
Majipoor Cycle - Robert Silverberg
The Chronicles Of Amber: Corwin Cycle - Roger Zelazny
The Chronicles of the Deryni - Katherine Kurtz
The Legends of Camber of Culdi - Katherine Kurtz
The Histories of King Kelson - Katherine Kurtz (my son's name comes from this series)
don't forget Elric of Melniboné - Michael Moorcock

Super Old Skool:

Zothique
Hyperborea
Xiccarph
Poseidonis

Cool short story cycles by Clark Ashton Smith(Huge fan of his work)

The Conan series - Robert E. Howard

Last edited by chewie on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Also:

Gormenghast Series(Titus Groan, Gormenghast, Titus Alone) - Mervyn Peake

Earthsea Trilogy - Ursula K. Le Guin (Love this series)

Last edited by chewie on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 pm

A personal favorite:

The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien. If you haven't read this book do it NOW!!!! GO!!! Stop reading this and go out and get!!!!!!!!! GIT!!!! Good Grief!!! Just GO!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Fantasy Series Recommendations 11840
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 pm

chewie wrote:
Terrible series. Haha. I could not get into it at all.

Anyway, DB, I highly recommend George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. It's a nine-book series, but only four are out right now. It's not heavy on the fantasy at this point, but it's one of the best--and baddest--series I've ever read. It's brilliant!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:

Anyway, DB, I highly recommend George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. It's a nine-book series, but only four are out right now. It's not heavy on the fantasy at this point, but it's one of the best--and baddest--series I've ever read. It's brilliant!

Really!!!! To each his own Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_razz Fantasy Series Recommendations 84826
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:52 pm

chewie wrote:
A personal favorite:

The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien. If you haven't read this book do it NOW!!!! GO!!! Stop reading this and go out and get!!!!!!!!! GIT!!!! Good Grief!!! Just GO!!!

x2. Great book!

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 pm

chewie wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:

Really!!!! To each his own Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_razz Fantasy Series Recommendations 84826
Man, I heard so many great things about that one. I just found the style of writing to be absurdly boring.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 am

Below are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. May I ask why you don't want anything longer than a 3-4 book series? You're missing out on SEVERAL very good series...

Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn trilogy (The Final Empire, The Well Of Ascension, The Hero Of Ages)

C.S. Friedman - The Coldfire Trilogy (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown Of Shadows)

Thomas Harlan - The Oath Of Empire (Shadow Of Ararat, The Gate Of Fire, The Storm Of Heaven, The Dark Lord)

Stephen R. Lawhead - The Celtic Crusades trilogy (The Iron Lance, The Black Rood, The Mystic Rose)

Steven Brust - The Viscount Of Adrilankha trilogy (The Paths Of The Dead, The Lord Of Castle Black, Sethra Levode) (two books prior have direct links to this series...The Phoenix Guards and Five Hundred Years After)

David B. Coe - The Lon Tobyn Chronicle (Children Of Amarid, The Outlanders, Eagle-Sage)

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:20 am

David Eddings has several series that I enjoyed several years ago. The Belgariad (two series) and the Mallorean series in particular.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:

Man, I heard so many great things about that one. I just found the style of writing to be absurdly boring.

Aaaaah.... When I read it, I just happened to pick it up at my local library because I liked the cover, never heard of it beforehand. That was during a time in Jr. High and early High School when I would read all kinds of stuff(being a loner and all, especially when my best friend moved away) Fantasy/Sci Fi/some Classics(David Copperfield still haunts me) and that's one I liked.

One I couldn't get into was the Stephen Donaldson series... I can't remember what it was called, but I didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Besides a lot of good recommendations already made, I like David Gemmell's stuff. He writes a variety of series but I guess his main one is his Drenai saga, which starts with Legend. He also wrote a Scottish-flavored series called the Rigante, which should probably be read with Iron Maiden's The Clansman playing in a continuous loop as background music, and I also enjoy his Jon Shannow trilogy, which is sort of like Mad Max reimagined as a Christian fanatic battling demons from hell.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:33 pm

You could also try the Dune series by Frank Herbert, although I would only recommend reading the first book "Dune" the rest are ok... to booorrriiinnngg.......
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm

The Dragon Bone Chair series by Tad Williams is amazing fantasy. Dark, intense and a great selection of characters.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
David Eddings has several series that I enjoyed several years ago. The Belgariad (two series) and the Mallorean series in particular.
The Belgariad is awesome. Never read anything after that ties in, though. Years ago, I tried his Dreamers series and after two books I had to quit. It was terrible. Cardboard characters, silly concept, and just boring overall.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:49 am

I've got another to recommend you, one I've just discovered myself. Almost through the second book of the trilogy, and it's a good one!

The Broken Well trilogy by Sam Bowring

The books are: Prophecy's Ruin, Destiny's Rift, and Soul's Reckoning

Book 1 started off with a VERY big bang! Tapered off a bit towards the middle, but the author kept things interesting. Not QUITE as detailed in environments, travels, etc as some fantasy authors can be, but he does a pretty good job of bringing his characters to life. Book 2 is a bit slower than book one, but has the feel of building for the climax in the final book.

PostSubject: Re: Fantasy Series Recommendations   Fantasy Series Recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Series Recommendations
Page 1 of 1