Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

R.I.P. Bob Probert

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

R.I.P. Bob Probert Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Bob Probert   R.I.P. Bob Probert Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Bob Probert has died at the age of 45, a spokesman for the family of the troubled former NHL tough guy confirmed Monday evening.

Family friend Rick Rogow said Probert died after collapsing with severe chest pains while boating with his family on Lake St. Clair in the Windsor, Ont., area. He was rushed to hospital around 2 p.m. ET.

"The hospital did everything it possibly could," Rogow told reporters at Windsor Regional Hospital. "It's a sad day."

Probert's father-in-law Dan Parkinson, a police officer who was on the boat, attempted unsuccessfully to revive Probert using cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Probert is survived by his wife and four children.

"This is a tragedy for the family," said Parkinson. "We ask that you respect their privacy at this time. This was totally unexpected. Bob lost the fight of his life this afternoon."

Probert was one of the most feared enforcers ever to play in the NHL. Playing for the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks in a 16-year career that spanned from 1985-2002, Probert accumulated 3,300 penalty minutes, the fifth-highest total of all time.

"Bob was always there for his teammates and was one of the toughest men to ever play in the NHL," Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch said in a statement. "He also was one of the kindest, most colourful and beloved players Detroit has ever known. We are very saddened by his passing, and our thoughts and prayers go out to Bob's family."

At times, Probert showed he could be more than a brawler. He notched 29 goals with Detroit in 1987-88, earning his only All-Star nod in the process. Probert later added a 20-goal season with the Red Wings and a 19-goal campaign with Chicago.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Probert family during this difficult time," Blackhawks president John McDonough said in a statement. "Bob will always be a member of the Blackhawks family and his memory will live on through our fans."

Former NHL player Joe Kocur was close to Probert when they played for Detroit.

"It was great to be able to go out on the ice knowing that he had my back and I had his," Kocur said in a statement released by the team. "He was like the brother I never had."

In addition to memorable bouts with fellow tough guys such as Tie Domi and Craig Coxe, Probert was also known for his battles with drug and alcohol problems. In March 1989, he was arrested for cocaine possession after trying to cross the Windsor-Detroit border.

The Windsor native served three months in a U.S. prison and was suspended by the NHL during his sentence. After returning, Probert was unable to leave and re-enter the U.S., which kept him from travelling with the Red Wings to road games in Canadian cities.

After his retirement, Probert mostly stayed out of the public eye. He reappeared briefly last fall as a contestant on CBC's Battle of the Blades show.

Funeral details have not yet been released.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24788860
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

R.I.P. Bob Probert Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Bob Probert   R.I.P. Bob Probert Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 am

Who?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

R.I.P. Bob Probert Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Bob Probert   R.I.P. Bob Probert Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 am

One of my all time favourite hockey players. Tough as nails on the ice. Greatest fighter in the history of the sport, in my opinion.

I loved to hate him when he was a Red Wing, and worshipped him when he was a Blackhawk. Terrible to die so young.

R.I.P. Bob Probert Quintal_vs_probert

RIP Probie
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

R.I.P. Bob Probert Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Bob Probert   R.I.P. Bob Probert Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 pm

RIP R.I.P. Bob Probert 163436 He kept the game tough. In the days now of the "New NHL" he is missed more than ever.