Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)

Go down 
+10
exact33
AchrisK
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
Sutekh
nevermore
Alaskan Metalhead
kmorg
Zdan
scottmitchell74
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Empty
PostSubject: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Confession - I bought this because of:

1) Shawn - I wanted to support his work

2) The artwork is fantastic

3) I remember hearing a sample long ago that I though had promise

That being said, I didn't expect much. I was conceding that this would be simply a cool collector's CD that wouldn't get much play.

I was wrong.

These are some seriously good songs with good chops both musically and vocally. I have no idea how I missed Oracle the "first time around" as I spent countless hours at Christian book stores in the 80's and 90's looking for new stuff.

Kudos! The packaging is great and the material is worthy.

Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) 11840
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:13 pm

I have the old split with Emerald but I plan on buying this as it has tons of new material and probably waaay superior sound.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes, that's one of things I keep saying to myself...it sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:16 pm

So I have to buy it then. I have been on my Christian metal kick lately (despite not being a believer) after I bought the latest Saint album.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:07 pm

You should pay more attention to what I say, Scott. Then you'd know how good this is Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks guys...

And yeah, this version has a bunch of stuff not on the Emerald split and sounds MILES better...
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

S wrote:
Thanks guys...

And yeah, this version has a bunch of stuff not on the Emerald split and sounds MILES better...

I gotta get his ASAP then. As soon as I complete my Saint collection that is.
Back to top Go down
Alaskan Metalhead
Metal novice
Metal novice
Alaskan Metalhead

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:13 pm

WOW! I also had the old split ep with Emerald and really liked it. I definitely have to get this CD then. Love these old Christian metal bands that are getting back with it! Would love to hear Fear Not come back as well!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

It's a fantastic album. Glad I picked this up.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:24 pm

I managed to pick up the original pressing of Selah last year -and very impressive it is too. With the extras on this, I could be persuaded once more!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:36 pm

yeah so where's the link where I get to hear the improved sound and etc..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 9:09 am

I don't have any of the remastered versions online...I need to get some ripped and put on MySpace...the only trouble with that is that MySpace is only like a 128 stream...they probably won't sound a lot better than the originals that are there no matter what I do...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:27 am

Quote :
You should pay more attention to what I say, Scott. Then you'd know how good this is Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_biggrin

When will I learn? You're a fount of solid info!! Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:31 am

Got it too. This kinda metal is right up my alley. Reminds me of a mixture between Watchtower and Maiden.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 11:35 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
Got it too. This kinda metal is right up my alley. Reminds me of a mixture between Watchtower and Maiden.

That's exactly what one of our Heaven't Metal reviews said...

Glad ya'll are digging it...wish I could get into doing some more Metal these days...
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 1:25 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
.... I have no idea how I missed Oracle the "first time around" as I spent countless hours at Christian book stores in the 80's and 90's looking for new stuff.

Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) 11840

I did too, but I don't think it made it to too many of those. I got the demo (Captain Crunch) through the mail from the band, and I somehow found a copy of the Selah CD used, years ago, like 10 or more. I don't think that CD ever had actual professional distribution. Or am I wrong?

This band was awesome! Truthfully, there were a few band who only had demos out back then that were better than a lot of the stuff the rekkid companies picked up. Oracle and Consecrator were two of the most notable IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Chris...

And no, Oracle never had commercial/professional distribution...Intense turned us down, R.E.X. turned us down, Metal Blade turned us down, whatever label Jesus Freaks was on turned us down, Century Media turned us down, Roadracer turned us down...a parade of rejection...haha!

Back then if you were lucky enough to make a recording on your own and were not signed to a label, it was basically fanzine reviews and mail order...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:51 pm

I like the release. I think Tribunal did a great job giving Oracle a proper re-release.

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 4:02 pm

exact33 wrote:
I like the release. I think Tribunal did a great job giving Oracle a proper re-release.

I think so too...glad you dig it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Quote :
Intense turned us down, R.E.X. turned us down, Metal Blade turned us down, whatever label Jesus Freaks was on turned us down, Century Media turned us down, Roadracer turned us down...a parade of rejection...haha!

That's amazing! Every one of those lables had some major league crap "back in the day" but you guys don't get picked up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 8:10 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Intense turned us down, R.E.X. turned us down, Metal Blade turned us down, whatever label Jesus Freaks was on turned us down, Century Media turned us down, Roadracer turned us down...a parade of rejection...haha!

That's amazing! Every one of those lables had some major league crap "back in the day" but you guys don't get picked up?

Nope...one label even said "You just sound too much like other Metal bands..." implying that we were clones of some type...we asked them "Well, what bands?" and they couldn't answer...haha!
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 11:10 am

Confession #2

Scott's statement on top was my exact thoughts! Until I listened to it! And I have to confess I had not heard much before! Man was I missing out this is a great slab of metal! Killer stuff Shawn!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 11:35 am

At least they got back to you. Haha. We don't even get rejection letters.

But you guys sound too much like other metal bands, you even share the same genre. Next time, try to sign with Blue Note, a label who would appreciate the diversity. Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks Bill...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am

Odd thing.

Last night I popped this cd in my car stereo and it won't recognize the disc. Plays fine in the home stereo and work boom-box. After the car stereo spit it out, I popped in the Moshketeers with no issues and played The Sword this morning no problem, so it's not the cd player.

Weird.

PostSubject: Re: Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)   Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oracle - Desolate Kings (better than I thought it would be)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next