Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drivin' N Cryin"

Go down 
+6
Thrasher73
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Metallic Blaze
Eyesore
James B.
10 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 11:25 pm

I remember seeing these guys when I raced 250 motcross. I just recently picked up "Fly Me Courageous" at a thrift store in cassette format. It is good for what it is, catchy hard rock. Looking through the liner notes, i see that Kevin Kinney is a part of this band. I have a few shows that a friend sent me, still unlistened to.

I did some scopin' and see they released quite a few cds over the years.
Anyone got some views ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 am

Awesome band, but not quite the band you'd expect if you only knew "Build A Fire" and "Fly Me Courageous." Lots of country flavors can be heard, some old school indie college rock stylings, southern rock, hard rock, blues, all kinds of stuff. Just a great great band. They deserved more.

And they can still rock when necessary:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 am

I'm a casual fan. I have one of their albums and pull it out every now and again.

The one I have sounds pretty southern rock oriented.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 7:55 am

I like what I have heard, but I don't have any of their albums. "Straight To Hell" is very country flavored
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:07 am

I've got 'em all. Also saw them live in CT back on the Smoke tour. Fortunately for me that album was much heavier than their other stuff so the show was really heavy. Fly Me Courageous is their best IMO but the first song I heard by them was "Honeysuckle Blue" from the Mystery Road album.

Eyesore is right, there is a distinct country vibe to a lot of their songs. In fact, Kevin Kinney's solo stuff is really country. They'd been on hiatus for awhile but put out another album last fall.

Side note: I used to have a shirt from the show I saw that said Turn It Up Or Turn It The F Off! ("Turn It Up Or Turn It Off" is a song on "Smoke").

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 am

Right on folks! I'm gonna grab Smoke and randomly fill in the blanks. Listened to one of those Kevin Kinney shows my friend in Georgia sent me last evening, very nice listen. Lots of variety.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:59 am

Shiney has the title of another DnC album/song under his moniker. "Scarred But Smarter". Great song!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am

Definitely good Hard Rock.They just recently put out a new album.Didnt even realize they were still together.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 am

tohostudios wrote:
Shiney has the title of another DnC album/song under his moniker. "Scarred But Smarter". Great song!
That album and the Detroit Rock City EP are the only two things missing from my Drivin' collection. Just got Whisper Tames The Lion this past weekend.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Kevin Kinney's voice is one of my favorites in all of music. Even songs I don't find any good still go down alright with him singing. Haven't encountered a DnR record that I didn't like. I also highly recommend the solo stuff. One of my favorite EPs or singles is the Build A Fire one with about four live songs on it. Has an unbelievably killer version of Scarred But Smarter.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 7:56 pm

All the D N' C albums rule...so do KEVN KINNEY's solo offerings.

"Whisper Tames" is superb....

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 pm

I am on the hunt. Wish I'd a spent more time watchin that show they played at the 250 moto x (which I wrecked and didn't qualify) than chasin after that redheaded chick with those mean green eyes. All I got from her was a bogus phone number Drivin' N Cryin" 201269

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 pm

I like them in small doses with FMC & Smoke after or before that they bore me!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 am

James B. wrote:
I remember seeing these guys when I raced 250 motcross. I just recently picked up "Fly Me Courageous" at a thrift store in cassette format. It is good for what it is, catchy hard rock. Looking through the liner notes, i see that Kevin Kinney is a part of this band. I have a few shows that a friend sent me, still unlistened to.

I did some scopin' and see they released quite a few cds over the years.
Anyone got some views ?

I remember discovering them through the "120 Minutes" show on MTV (back before MTV sucked). I loved "Fly Me Courageous", but have not heard much else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drivin' N Cryin" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivin' N Cryin"   Drivin' N Cryin" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drivin' N Cryin"
Page 1 of 1