Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?

Go down 
+23
jerseyultifan+
Jesusandmetal23
Stender
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
Thrasher73
QuothTheRaven
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
XYZ
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Leatherface
Gilbert
Smindas
kmorg
Chairman_Smith
DeathCult
GrandNational
Schbopo
AchrisK
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
As metal fans, we appreciate musicians who have a unique or unusual quality about their singing or playing. It is difficult to include unusual elements to one's playing if you listen to a single style all the time. For example, I like to hear metal guitarists who pull jazz elements into their playing. There's no way to do that unless you've listened to jazz. Listening to an eclectic array of music may not make you less of a metal player, but it will make you a better musician, which in my opinion, is infinitely more important.

Good point.

Troublezone wrote:
The original metal pioneers didn't love metal either... They liked 60's acid rock and blues.

Very true.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am

Tim Gaines of Stryper.He's always said He's more of a Jazz fan.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Mathias Blad/Falconer
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 pm

The lead singer for SKYLINER only listens to progressive yodeling. Or so I have heard.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:30 pm

We Zeuhl fans prefer the term 'Kobaïan'. Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Required Fields wrote:

I also read somewhere that Candlemass' original singer, Johan Längqvist, wasn't a metal fan, but was hired by the band because of his vocal ability. He was just the right man at the right time, more or less.

Not true. Johan was the lead vocalist in Jonah Quizz, a NWOBHM-ish heavy metal band from Stockholm, and although doom wasn't exactly his style, he was definitely a heavy rocker.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I stand corrected. The "gun for hire" story is true, though, but that's it.

I also heard after Messiah left, Johan auditioned to possibly rejoin Candlemass, but didn't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:17 pm

glenn mancaruso from vengeance said that he never dug thrash metal but joined the band just to be temporary til they could find someone else.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Stender wrote:
glenn mancaruso from vengeance said that he never dug thrash metal but joined the band just to be temporary til they could find someone else.

Yeah a lot of the guys from VR werent really into metal. They were really into blues stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Stender wrote:

Yeah a lot of the guys from VR werent really into metal. They were really into blues stuff.

...which explains the sudden directional shift on the second Die Happy album. The first disc was sorta thrashy, the second was full-on blues rock ala Badlands...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 am

Guest wrote:
Scott from Ultimatum isn't a metal fan. I also heard he wears a wig. Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_wink

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 201269 oooops! i better not laff! you know the job security thing! sorry! Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_redface lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:19 am

I just read in an interview with Tommy Baron that when he was in Kreator, Millie hated metal. He only listened to pop. He pretty much said that the reason that Millie plays metal is that it's the only way he knows how to pay the bills.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 am

Ronnie Lee Keel AND King Diamond are Poseur non-metalheads. And If you listen to their] "music", neither are you.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Ronnie Lee Keel AND King Diamond are Poseur non-metalheads. And If you listen to their] "music", neither are you.
i'm not a "metalhead" & never claimed to be. King Diamond rules... f*ck a bunch of "metalheads".

Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:54 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:

I assume this post was tounge-in-cheek.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 am

mc666 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
i'm not a "metalhead" & never claimed to be. King Diamond rules... f*ck a bunch of "metalheads".
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 8:23 am

I honestly dont see the big deal if someone who plays metal doesnt live the 'lifestyle' (whatever that means). If you enjoy playing it but dont enjoy listening to it thats cool with me. I dont care for all this 'you have to be tr00' stuff. If metal is about being rebellious, then why be unhappy with the people who are rebelling against the metal lifestyle?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39552

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 am

I can see the subject being a possibility but I don't see how it can be done. I mean ,how can you really be into singing and performing metal (or country,jazz,rock,etc.) if you don't like the style. Just like any work,if you're not into it,how can you give it your all ? I suppose money can play into it,but still....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 am

I have friends that are great jazz players, but who end up 90% of the time playing wedding gigs and society dances...not because they like the music, but because it pays bills. The gigs where they play what they want to play, are usually free gigs. Keeps you sane.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 pm

You can tell us the truth detuned. We know you don't like metal. Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
You can tell us the truth detuned. We know you don't like metal. Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

he is into polka-core!

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:55 pm

True but he doesn't like to talk about it. You should hear his hardcore yodeling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
True but he doesn't like to talk about it. You should hear his hardcore yodeling.

vid or it didnt happen
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Leatherface wrote:
I just read in an interview with Tommy Baron that when he was in Kreator, Millie hated metal. He only listened to pop. He pretty much said that the reason that Millie plays metal is that it's the only way he knows how to pay the bills.

My gosh, I can see this. Before a Kreator show, Millie listening to a Spears CD singing along to "Oops I Did It Again". The visual images... Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 47715
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?   Metal performers who aren't really metal fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal performers who aren't really metal fans?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next