Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John frusicante solo stuff any good?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

John frusicante solo stuff any good? Empty
PostSubject: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am

I heard he released a few solo albums after he split up with RHCP in the early 90s. Are they worth checking out?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 am

Depends who you're asking. IMO it's on the boring side... he should of stuck with the heavy funk rock that he was known for.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 am

While I haven't heard any of it myself (not a fan), I've read that alot of it is geared towards the really hardcore fans. At the time, he was being applauded for being so prolific, recording and releasing a whole slew of albums in a short amount of time. I don't think people took into account that just because he rolled tape every time he picked up the guitar or farted into the mic, it needed to be packaged & released to the public.

I'd wager that there are some gems in there, but you're gonna have to sift through a bunch of crap to find them.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
While I haven't heard any of it myself (not a fan), I've read that alot of it is geared towards the really hardcore fans. At the time, he was being applauded for being so prolific, recording and releasing a whole slew of albums in a short amount of time. I don't think people took into account that just because he rolled tape every time he picked up the guitar or farted into the mic, it needed to be packaged & released to the public.

I'd wager that there are some gems in there, but you're gonna have to sift through a bunch of crap to find them.

From what i heard it's too "artsy" and soft for my taste.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm

My opinion of John is more on the lines of the most overhyped guitar player since Jimi Hendrix. I have heard his solo records and dont get me wrong the man can play the guitar very well. But belonging to many guitar communities this guy gets credited as being the best modern guitar player there is and one of the best EVER...???????

As far as his solo stuff its not bad but its more like Tangerine Dream it puts me to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:01 am

Quote :
more on the lines of the most overhyped guitar player since Jimi Hendrix.

I hope you don't repeat that near Manny in a dark alley.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:03 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

John frusicante solo stuff any good? 201269

Sometimes TZ you have to consider the source, a guy who thinks Adam Lambert is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I mean really....
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 am

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

From what i heard it's too "artsy" and soft for my taste.

Back to topic at hand, both MG and TZ are correct, some gems are hidden in there but you have go thru alot of mediocre songwriting to find it. TZ is correct it t is artsy for arts sake, not artsy good like David Bowie, more like I just dropped some acid and I am going noodle on the guitar for 30 minutes and have my producer edit it down to a 5 minute song.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:13 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Sometimes TZ you have to consider the source, a guy who thinks Adam Lambert is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I mean really....

His dream band would consist of Mark Tremonti hookin' up with Adam Lambert.

No offense Robb... John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:05 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

HAHA... Funny thing is I havent listened to Adam Lambert since Idol. The man has an amazing voice but he is no disco singer. As far as thinking he is the greatest thing since sliced bread you couldnt be more wrong. As far as being the best vocalist to ever surface on Idol I COULDNT BE MORE RIGHT!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

His dream band would consist of Mark Tremonti hookin' up with Adam Lambert.

No offense Robb... John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_razz

Actually Lambert wouldnt be anywhere near the top of that list. If I could pick a singer to be with Mark it would be Myles Kennedy or Lajon Witherspoon.. Wait Myles is already his singer therefore Alter Bridge is the perfect band...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

HAHA... Funny thing is I havent listened to Adam Lambert since Idol. The man has an amazing voice but he is no disco singer. As far as thinking he is the greatest thing since sliced bread you couldnt be more wrong. As far as being the best vocalist to ever surface on Idol I COULDNT BE MORE RIGHT!!!!

If exclude Kelly Clarkson, William Hung and that time Simon accidently stepped on a cat's tail, then I would agree with you.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:17 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

If exclude Kelly Clarkson, William Hung and that time Simon accidently stepped on a cat's tail, then I would agree with you.

I like Kelly but technically she cant compete with the man. I base my opinion on his technical skills with his voice.

Now back on subject... I would stick with Johns stuff with the Peppers as its a little more basic and commercial. Give it a chance though but IMO it lacks any sort of direction...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I like Kelly but technically she cant compete with the man. I base my opinion on his technical skills with his voice.

Now back on subject... I would stick with Johns stuff with the Peppers as its a little more basic and commercial. Give it a chance though but IMO it lacks any sort of direction...

Your answer to Kelly Clarkson and technically does not even warrant a response, as for the comments regarding his solo career I agree it lacks any direction.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: John frusicante solo stuff any good?   John frusicante solo stuff any good? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Your answer to Kelly Clarkson and technically does not even warrant a response, as for the comments regarding his solo career I agree it lacks any direction.

Kelly just has a great voice there is a big difference between having a natural voice, then someone who can do more things with there voice. Take for instance James Labrie from Dream Theater the man can do amazing things with his voice but he doesnt have the greatest voice and then compare him with Russell Allen from Symphony X. He has the better voice but he cant do the same things as James can but he sounds better.

Johns solo cd def lacks but there are some killer tunes in there like