Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock

Go down 
+7
TheGooch
mc666
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
AchrisK
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Empty
PostSubject: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 6:42 pm

When are we gettin' an update on NLTM Ult?!lol!

(you knew this was coming, didn't you?)

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 7:33 pm

You know what's holding it back is I have to write a review of Frost
Like Ashes and I am having a hard time with it. I'm just so
disconnected from black metal, I'm not sure what to say about it.
However, an update is soon coming.

ult

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Do you ever put up stuff that other people write?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:09 pm

No, I haven't yet. Why?

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:17 pm

I was just thinking that if your having trouble with it, but you really want it on the site, you could collaberate, or just let someone else do it. Collaberation might seem better based on the personal nature of your site (you talking to the audience, who gets to "know" you to some degree, rather than just a collection of reviews).

ack
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:

That sounds like you've got a pretty concise review of it right there. Short, sweet, and to the point. Copy and paste it onto NLTM and you're done!!
lol!

Sorry to be a wise guy, I just couldn't resist. Seriously, I know how tough it is to come up with something (either positive or negative) to say about a CD sometimes. When I'm plowing through a bunch of stuff to review for Detritus, occasionally I wish I could just go "this one sucks. This one sucks too. This one is OK. This one is good. This one sucks..." Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 10:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:

ult
I suggest the following:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Frantic, tick tick tick tick tick tock...

Sorry, the thread title just made me think of that.

Actually, I feel kind of dirty having making made a St. Anger reference. Let me go wash up now...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Frantic, tick tick tick tick tick tock...

Sorry, the thread title just made me think of that.

Actually, I feel kind of dirty having making made a St. Anger reference. Let me go wash up now...

I thought the same thing when I saw the title. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 11:16 pm

just skip the black metal. it obviously doesn't interest you much. you don't have to include it on your site.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 6:12 am

yeah did you not say that you had boxes of albums you never listened to for whatever reason (i will have them lol) so you could put it in one of those boxes

unless this album you mention is really good
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 1:34 pm

mc666 wrote:
just skip the black metal. it obviously doesn't interest you much. you don't have to include it on your site.

That's what I usually do, but I promised these guys a review on my site.

Hows this sound?

Frost Like Ashes - Tophet (PsychoAcoustix) 2005

1. "A Terrible Visitation" (6:46)
2. "Desecrator" (3:44)
3. "Of Spirit and Power" (6:36)
4. "Nightfall's Cold Kiss" (5:30)
5. "A Cruel Verse" (4:54)
6. "Crucifixion" (2:47)
7. "Execution by Fire" (4:41)
8. "Shattered Gods" (6:07)
9. "Lord of Darkness" (7:33)
UNLISTED TRACKS
10. "All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence/O Come O Come Emmanuel" (14:12)

OK, I'll be the first to admit that black metal isn't my forté. I love metal, but for some reason I've not familiarized myself with much in the black metal scene. When this disc was sent to me for review, I actually held onto it for a couple months, giving it an occasional listen and each time agonized over what to say about it. I have no base of comparison, so it's hard to say how this compares to other black metal bands. The fact of the matter is, I'm not so sure this is even pure black metal. "Tophet" seems to actually be an odd blending of styles. The basis is extreme black metal with those melodic keyboards, blast beats, shrieking vocals and haunting passages, but I hear elements of thrash metal and death metal mixed in as well. Basically, "Tophet" is controlled chaos. Removing the vocals at times, I'd swear I hear a King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influence. Part of that comparison comes from the haunting keyboards while at other times it's the odd interludes between songs. Even some of the guitar work has a blackened classic metal vibe such as in "A Cruel Verse". Frost Like Ashes are not a polished band for sure. They have a raw, underground charm coupled with a harnessed energy. One thing that may throw some black metal fans for a loop is that instead of singing the praises of Satan, Frost Like Ashes take great pleasure in singing in the horned one's demise. I'm told that black metal is more than just a style of music, but it's about an attitude as well. If that be the case, then Frost Like Ashes are certainly to be included. Their songs may not be the typical church hating tripe, but the cold, shrill feel of the music, couple with the searing lyrics should please any skeptic.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm

I think that sounds like a fair review. You state at the front that you're not a fan of black metal, and then go on to give a pretty unbiased look at the music.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 5:51 pm

Ult, this review is great. Stick with it. I have the album and I couldn't have written a review as good as that.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm

I think being a Christian music reviewer is a very tough line to try to walk. I am glad I don't have to do it.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 pm

Sounds fine Ult.I'd stick with that if I was you.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 1:42 am

it's an honest review.. what more could anyone ask? the Mercyful Fate influence is indeed there.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2007 1:04 pm

I have problems like this at times too. I just donæt know what to write, as I feel I have no real "control" on the genre or style of the music (not for my site though, but when I wrote for an internet zine). I was scared that my thought was far off base, becasue I was not so familiar with the music and style. But in most cases my review was often in line with other reviews I found, so I tried to stop caring so much about it, and just wrote what I felt, heard and got out of the discs.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 5:12 am

Hmm, you're site is down?

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 8:15 am

Seems to be back up:
http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 am

BTW, hope to have an update up tonight if all goes as planned.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock   Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: