Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Georgia Satellites

Go down 
+8
jstate
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Louder
tohostudios
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Anyone heard of this band? Just heard their first hit single. "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" - Good Ol' Rock n Roll!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Love the Satellites. The only southern rock band that was worth a damn in the 80's. Their first album is great mix of typical blues-rock with more country influence than most bands of the genre. "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" is of course one of their best, taking every redneck cliche and exploiting it to the max! Just a great band that dared to rock in the era of new-wave.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Love them. I saw them in a tiny dive in Murfreesboro, TN right after they were signed to a major label. Hot as hell in the place but the band was smokin'.

I like Dan Baird's solo material as well. Anyone else ever hear the song "I Love You Period"?

Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I like Dan Baird's solo material as well. Anyone else ever hear the song "I Love You Period"?

Great song ... and Knocked Up is also a fun tune.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Loves me some Georgia Satellites.I'll never forget when I first seen the video for Keep Your Hands to Yourself.Brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 am

I like the one hit song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 am

I've had their greatest hits for a long, long time. Upgraded from a worn-out tape to cd very early on when I was making the transition to compact discs. Never dug any deeper into their albums, but the hits disc is a winner.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Kind of a shame that they got the one hit wonder tag put on them because the rest of that s/t album is actually really good.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Breaking out the Greatest Hits this week. Any recommendations on other albums or just stick with the hits?

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

First and foremost the S/T (first album) is quintessential from start to finish!

You really can't go wrong on ANY other release they did and as already mentioned the Dan Baird solo stuff and even The Yahoo's are all great songs with amazing songwriting. Baird has always been a very creative songwriter...

Just one in a litany of great songs and videos out on the ole interweb!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 am

Looking at the track listing for their first 2 albums, the s/t and Open All Night, most of those tracks appear on the Greatest Hits disc I have already.

They're pretty cheap, so maybe I'll pick em up at some point anyway. Perhaps if I get any Amazon money for Christmas. Or invest in some Dan Baird solo works for now.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 pm

love all the GS releases.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm

Ultra-necro-thread bump!

Picked up the Let it Rock best-of by these guys a couple of weekends ago ... honestly I wasn't expecting much from it but it has become a surprisingly frequent player.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 pm

They must’ve toured with The Black Crowes at some point. The same kind of southern rock/blues, but a little less polished. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
They must’ve toured with The Black Crowes at some point. The same kind of southern rock/blues, but a little less polished. Good stuff!

They're a little more raw/harder rockin' than the Crowes, which is fine by me. I like the BC's but they're the kind of band I have to be in the mood for.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 6:39 pm

These guys were always just as good to me as any 80's metal band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I’ve never bothered getting any of their studio albums but that greatest hits still gets plenty of spins from me. Just had it on in the car the other day while going on a wild goose chase for toilet paper.

Georgia Satellites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Georgia Satellites   Georgia Satellites Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Georgia Satellites
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: