Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Odd Collaborations

Go down 
+9
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
GrandNational
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
kmorg
Eyesore
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

So I made me a Mucky Pup family tree CDR today, with Mucky Pup, All Boro Kings, Nastasee, and Dog Eat Dog, just for play in my truck. I imagine most of you have no idea who these bands are. But that's not the point! Haha.

I was rockin' things on shuffle and Dog Eat Dog's "Play Games" came on, which, if you don't know, features none other than Ronnie James Dio on guest vocals. Normally doing guest vocals isn't so strange, but Dog Eat Dog is a rap-rock band. Hell, RZA from the Wu Tang Clan guests on the album, too!

I love the band, love the song, but what an odd collaboration, huh? Haha.

There have been a lot of these odd couplings over the years. What are some others?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 4:48 am

Ozzy, Was Not Was & Kim Basinger!

Here's a version with Ozzy doin' all the vox:

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 5:00 am

The South Park album Chef Aid had another Ozzy collaboration - this time with DMX, Ol' Dirty Bastard and Crystal Method. I had completely forgotten about this, I used to love this song when I was like 12, ha.

Also, System of a Down had a few odd collaborations. Specifically this one with Wu-Tang Clan (ignore the terrible mish-mash of a video);

A bit more fitting (sort of) was the track they did with HedPE and Kittie;

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 am

Ozzy seems to have made a whole second career out of weird guest appearances. Here he covers "Born To Be Wild" with a little help from Miss Piggy (!)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:01 am

That whole Judgement Night soundtrack mixing metal acts with hardcore rappers always seemd like an odd collaboration to me, but I never got that whole rap-rock thing anyway.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That whole Judgement Night soundtrack mixing metal acts with hardcore rappers always seemd like an odd collaboration to me, but I never got that whole rap-rock thing anyway.
No way! That's one of the best soundtracks ever! Some lame songs on that one, but most of them rule.

As for that South Park soundtrack, that System of a Down collaboration is crap. They didn't even actually work with the rappers; it's essentially a System of a Down remix where they just added their own stuff to it. But it's hard getting over hearing a highly intelligent guy like Serj shouting the word "nigga" over and over again. Pretty lame, actually.

The same goes for the song "Shame."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
No way! That's one of the best soundtracks ever! Some lame songs on that one, but most of them rule.

Well, I pretty much expected that response to ruffle a feather or 2 but I'm just not a rap fan. It was an interesting concept at the time, I'll give it that. Just not my thing. I get the same feeling when orchestras play with metal bands. Seems odd to me. There are times when it works, but overall I'll pass. But we're kinda getting off topic here.

How's about Lionel Ritchie working with Rob Zombie on his remake of 'Brick House'?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Well, I pretty much expected that response to ruffle a feather or 2 but I'm just not a rap fan. It was an interesting concept at the time, I'll give it that. Just not my thing. I get the same feeling when orchestras play with metal bands. Seems odd to me. There are times when it works, but overall I'll pass. But we're kinda getting off topic here.

How's about Lionel Ritchie working with Rob Zombie on his remake of 'Brick House'?
No feathers ruffled. =) And I sort of like that Zombie/Ritchie collaboration...until that moronic Lil' Idiot, or whatever her name is, comes on. Talk about dumbing something down. Jesus! Otherwise it's good fun.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Rumored ones that sounded strange to me at the time:

1. The Three Tremors (Tate, Dickinson, Halford)
2. Ihsahn and Halford
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I always kind of hoped this one happened. It would have been interesting at the time, at least. Can't say I'd like to see it happen now, though.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:
But it's hard getting over hearing a highly intelligent guy like Serj shouting the word "nigga" over and over again. Pretty lame, actually.

That and the other one they did with Puffy and lil Kim, i think it was called "will they die for you" if memory serves me correct. Lame crap.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
But it's hard getting over hearing a highly intelligent guy like Serj shouting the word "nigga" over and over again. Pretty lame, actually.

That and the other one they did with Puffy and lil Kim, i think it was called "will they die for you" if memory serves me correct. Lame crap.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Couldn't remember the name. That was on the South Park soundtrack right?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I always kind of hoped this one happened. It would have been interesting at the time, at least. Can't say I'd like to see it happen now, though.

I just think it would be about like "The One You Love to Hate" with another singer which would not be worth the hype I think.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Couldn't remember the name. That was on the South Park soundtrack right?

Yup, that was a weird soundtrack my cousin had. Glad I never bought it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Quote :
And I sort of like that Zombie/Ritchie collaboration...until that moronic Lil' Idiot, or whatever her name is, comes on. Talk about dumbing something down. Jesus! Otherwise it's good fun.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I dig that song too (until that rapping portion, that is). I just remember playing that cd in the car with the wife on some road trip and she was a little dumbfounded. "Lionel Ritchie? And Rob Zombie?"

That 3 Tremors thing was a kinda neat rumor at the time even if it never panned out.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:37 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yup, that was a weird soundtrack my cousin had. Glad I never bought it.
I'd forgotten about that track too. Not a good one. again.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 pm

This could fall into the "Odd Collaboration" category...

Quote :
Famed guitarist Steve Vai, R&B singer Mary J. Blige, BLINK-182 drummer Travis Barker, "American Idol" judge and bassist Randy Jackson and Michael Jackson's guitarist Orianthi got together this week to record a new version of the LED ZEPPELIN classic "Stairway to Heaven". Vai told told VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner that he was nervous to cover the song, but once he heard Blige was on board, he was ready to go.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Whoa!
Back to top Go down

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
Famed guitarist Steve Vai, R&B singer Mary J. Blige, BLINK-182 drummer Travis Barker, "American Idol" judge and bassist Randy Jackson and Michael Jackson's guitarist Orianthi got together this week to record a new version of the LED ZEPPELIN classic "Stairway to Heaven". Vai told told VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner that he was nervous to cover the song, but once he heard Blige was on board, he was ready to go.

Ugh. Sounds like a Odd Collaborations Pics_shit_sandwich_138 to me
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

I love Dog Eat Dog! Thought I was the only one who did. Funny thing was back in my college days when I had a radio show we used to get these Roadrunner samplers. Most of it was stuff they were pushing at the time (Type O Negative & Machinehead) but amongst all of that would be a Dog Eat Dog track. I actually went out and bought that record on the strength of "No Fronts".

My favorite odd collaboration of all time.

Maybe it doesn't seem so great today, but when I heard this in 1988 my head about exploded. Metal Church with Sir Mix A Lot was about the greatest thing in the world at the time.

Another one I kind of got into -

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

God.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
Oh yeah, heard about this the other days. sick
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

God.
Sorry. That's proof there is no God. lol!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Odd Collaborations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Collaborations   Odd Collaborations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd Collaborations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: