Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pennywise

Go down 
+3
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Metallic Blaze
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:44 pm

I guess you could say I've been on a bit of a pop/punk binge lately.

Anyway - this is another band I like quite well. Any others here like these guys?

Pennywise Pennywise
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 pm

The minor league hockey team I used to work for would occasionally take the ice to the song 'Alien'. I liked the song, but didn't know who did it. I asked the music guy and he told me it was Pennywise. He got it from a compilation disc, so he didn't know the album it was from, but made me an mp3 that I no longer have.

Cool song, but that's all I know about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_txOETYz6s

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm

MG, that song is on the album called "Straight Ahead". Good tune!

All of the albums I've heard are all very good. They don't have a bad one (to my knowledge).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I checked out a coupla other songs on YouTube when I was looking for that Alien song. Not bad, but I don't know if it's something I would spin on a regular basis.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:31 pm

One of my top 5 favorite punk bands. I absolutely love everything they've done! Wouldn't call them pop punk, though. They do have some pop sensibilities, but not enough for that label, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
One of my top 5 favorite punk bands. I absolutely love everything they've done! Wouldn't call them pop punk, though. They do have some pop sensibilities, but not enough for that label, in my opinion.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and agree. They are more just straight up punk aren't they?

Cool there is another fan on board. What is your fave album Eyesore?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and agree. They are more just straight up punk aren't they?

Cool there is another fan on board. What is your fave album Eyesore?
Honestly, probably About Time, their most poppy. Or catchy, I should say. Still, it could have been a big hit album for them if they had the proper marketing.

I love them all, though. Really love the version of "Bro Hymn" on Full Circle, and that hidden piano track is outstanding, despite the few mess-ups.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I need to acquire the rest of their catalogue.

My fave so far is "The Fuse".
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Man, how did I miss this? I was just thinking they should have a new album out soon—they've been consistent throughout their career, releasing an album every two years or so—so I checked online, and I see this:

Quote :
After 20 years, nine albums and thousands of shows around the world, my time in Pennywise has come to an end. Being the singer for this band has been an amazing experience, and along the way we made some of the best fans anyone could ask for. I want to express my deepest thanks to all of you for sticking with us over the years, especially through the passing of Jason years ago. It's your support and encouragement that kept me going this long. There are few things that made me more proud than seeing people at our shows singing our songs. I would also sincerely like to thank everyone who helped us along the way, in every capacity, we never could have done it without you, and I wish everyone in the Pennywise family the best of luck and continued success. Yours truly, Jim.
Jim Lindberg left the band! That's nuts! Poopy. =(
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm

I tried several times to like this band but they just don't do anything for me.

I like their peers Unwritten Law better.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
Man, how did I miss this? I was just thinking they should have a new album out soon—they've been consistent throughout their career, releasing an album every two years or so—so I checked online, and I see this:

Quote :
After 20 years, nine albums and thousands of shows around the world, my time in Pennywise has come to an end. Being the singer for this band has been an amazing experience, and along the way we made some of the best fans anyone could ask for. I want to express my deepest thanks to all of you for sticking with us over the years, especially through the passing of Jason years ago. It's your support and encouragement that kept me going this long. There are few things that made me more proud than seeing people at our shows singing our songs. I would also sincerely like to thank everyone who helped us along the way, in every capacity, we never could have done it without you, and I wish everyone in the Pennywise family the best of luck and continued success. Yours truly, Jim.
Jim Lindberg left the band! That's nuts! Poopy. =(

Oh wow. I had no idea.

At least it sounds like the band will carry on though. I hope they find a singer that can compare to Jim though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:07 am

Jim had a fairly unique voice, though. It's too bad.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

Pennywise is a pretty good punk band... looks like you are in an Epitath label binge! You will probably be asking about NOFX and Bad Religion next! (both good punk bands, as well). I discovered Pennywise through those value line Epitath complitations, Punk-O-Rama. I must have all of them... I would look forward to their release, and usually they were between 5.99 and 7.99, chuckful of good stuff. The first Punk-O-Rama is still my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Jim had a fairly unique voice, though. It's too bad.

Indeed.

Neuropete wrote:
Pennywise is a pretty good punk band... looks like you are in an Epitath label binge! You will probably be asking about NOFX and Bad Religion next! (both good punk bands, as well). I discovered Pennywise through those value line Epitath complitations, Punk-O-Rama. I must have all of them... I would look forward to their release, and usually they were between 5.99 and 7.99, chuckful of good stuff. The first Punk-O-Rama is still my favorite.

Yeah, come to think of it - you're right! That's a darned good label IMO. I also like NOFX and Bad Religion as well. I don't have any of those comps, but sounds like they would be a great way to hear some new bands along these lines.

This kind of punk is right up my alley.

Pennywise 778825
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Pennywise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennywise   Pennywise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

You should check out Good Riddance and Strung Out.

Strung Out have always reminded me of Bad Religion. But then they bust out with this song a few years ago...