Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis

Go down 
+3
Dave the Boss
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Empty
PostSubject: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 am

Anyone familiar with these 3 guys from Indianpolis? I was reading some favorable reviews of their new album, Hymns of Blood & Thunder. Looks like they have another album out, Conqueror, and a boatload of e.p.'s. Sounds pretty decent to my ears. Reminds me a little of The Sword. And the lead singer/guitarist sports a bitchin' skullet.

http://www.myspace.com/thegatesofslumber

Any thoughts on these guys?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone familiar with these 3 guys from Indianpolis? I was reading some favorable reviews of their new album, Hymns of Blood & Thunder. Looks like they have another album out, Conqueror, and a boatload of e.p.'s. Sounds pretty decent to my ears. Reminds me a little of The Sword. And the lead singer/guitarist sports a bitchin' skullet.

http://www.myspace.com/thegatesofslumber

Any thoughts on these guys?
If those asshats heard you say they sounded like The Sword, they would come to your house and rape your anus with the dead body of an emo kid.

Didn't I once talk about how these guys trashed me on the Hellride Music forums for giving The Sword's demo a favorable review? It's quality reading. Haha.

Either way, douchbags aside, they're a great band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

Sounds decent to me. The vocals are the weak link, IMO.

Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis The+Gates+of+Slumber

These guys look like they smell of chicken wings and motor oil.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 pm

But then again, The Sword is horrible generic crap (imo that is Razz).

The Gates of Slumber have gotten better and better. The first two records were solid doom platters, but the last two were really, really good.

By the way, Hymns of Blood and Thunder is their latest album. Conqueror was releases in 2009. Wink Conqueror is their best album if you ask me. Children of Satan is an amazing song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
But then again, The Sword is horrible generic crap (imo that is Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_razz).

The Gates of Slumber have gotten better and better. The first two records were solid doom platters, but the last two were really, really good.

By the way, Hymns of Blood and Thunder is their latest album. Conqueror was releases in 2009. Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_wink Conqueror is their best album if you ask me. Children of Satan is an amazing song.

So how many albums have these guys actually released? I thought it was only 2? I figured Hymns...was new, hence the reviews I've seen.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:
But then again, The Sword is horrible generic crap (imo that is Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_razz).

By the way, Hymns of Blood and Thunder is their latest album. Conqueror was releases in 2009. Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_wink Conqueror is their best album if you ask me. Children of Satan is an amazing song.

So how many albums have these guys actually released? I thought it was only 2? I figured Hymns...was new, hence the reviews I've seen.
Nah, they've released a bunch. I have these:

Gates Of Slumber, The - Conqueror
Gates Of Slumber, The - From The Ultima Thule (Split w/Spiritus Mortis)
Gates Of Slumber, The - Like A Plaque Upon The Land
Gates Of Slumber, The - Split (7" EP w/The Dream Is Dead) (73 of 1,000)
Gates Of Slumber, The - Suffer No Guilt
Gates Of Slumber, The - The Awakening
Gates Of Slumber, The - The Ice Worm's Lair (12" EP)

And I don't have the new one, or some vinyl releases, and none of the cassette demos.

As for The Sword, I can't understand why anyone would call them generic and then praise The Gates of Slumber. While I won't disagree that The Sword is far from original, The Gates of Slumber sure as hell do nothing original or mind-blowing.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 am

I have Conqueror, and it's good solid doom. But yeah, these guys do seem to take themselves a little too seriously. I don't know if they think doom by people that aren't clinically depressed is artistically invalid or what.
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 am

I have Conqueror and I agree it's a solid album also. I will be ordering Hymns Of Blood And Thunder soon.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Hymns Of Blood Thunder is decent. I don't like it as much as Conqueror.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 am

I think most people's problem with The Sword is that they're hipsters that played in indie bands before doom became more popular a couple of years back. My main problem with them is the fact there isn't any power in the music. Not that The Gates of Slumber are treading new ground or anything, but they sure as hell deliver the goods.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:54 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
I think most people's problem with The Sword is that they're hipsters that played in indie bands before doom became more popular a couple of years back. My main problem with them is the fact there isn't any power in the music. Not that The Gates of Slumber are treading new ground or anything, but they sure as hell deliver the goods.
And what indie bands did The Sword play in before? See, I've heard this before, yet no one can name these bands. And what is an "indie band" anyway? Another big argument is that they got signed right after they formed because they got to play SXSW thanks to being "privileged children." Nonsense, of course.

First off, the guys in the band are young, so if they didn't play in "heavy" bands early on, who cares? Secondly, they released two demos before being signed...to Kemado Records, far from a high profile major label. The band could have signed to Relapse, though, but chose a smaller indie label. Thirdly, when the hell did doom become more popular? Haha. Not that they're really a doom band anyway.

Anyway, I think they're a pretty heavy and powerful band. I find nothing to complain about. They kick ass.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Thirdly, when the hell did doom become more popular?

Yeah, if the Sword is trying to become successful by cynically exploiting metal, I have to say they're remarkably stupid because metal music is NOT popular. They'd have been better off becoming another Nickleback clone.

Anyway, about Gates of Slumber, I think they're alright but I'm not sure I'll ever buy their albums. Something's missing for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Apparently, these guys have called it a day...

Quote :
Karl Simon, vocalist/guitarist for for Indianapolis doomsters THE GATES OF SLUMBER, has posted the following message on the Hellride Music forums:

"Some of you may have noticed that Jason [McCash, bass] quit THE GATES OF SLUMBER this past week.

"So, yeah. it's done.

"I always said I'd never go on doing THE GATES OF SLUMBER without Jason. I don't think anyone ever really believed it, but yeah, it's done. I did start the band, but McCash has been my best friend for the last 20 years, the last 10 in this damn band. He wrote amazing music and was a killer person to be around on the road.

"Somewhere about three years back, shit started to change, and it's ended with him quitting. I'm sure he needs the break, probably from me... I'm starting to *kind of* get the hint.

"So yeah. It's done."
3 years on and I still never picked up anything from these guys. Might need to remedy that one of these days.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 pm

They were an excellent band, but all signs point to Karl being a complete douchebag as the reason they're no more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis   Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gates of Slumber - Doom from Indianapolis
Page 1 of 1