Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Still excited?

Go down 
+27
sheets
powermacho
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Getizzyback
MetalRob331
exact33
Black Coffee
Addy
nevermore
rattpoison
Metal Misfit
tohostudios
Required Fields
mc666
7thSaviour
bgast1
jstate
Rex
JBall_Z
Temple of Blood
Wargod
James B.
krokus
DeathCult
Orion Crystal Ice
kmorg
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Still excited? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 am

kmorg wrote:
Some great answers there. Thanks! I think Metal Misfit nailed where I am at the most:

That is me, exactly! I told myself to buy less albums this year. So far I have bought on average 1 per day. Guess how many I've really listened to so far....

Yeah, I've got a stack of CDs both new releases and new old releases that I haven't even touched yet! Some of them I've had for over six months, some I've had close to a year. It's frustrating but there's just enough time in the day! I've got work to do, video games to play, stuff to read, gym time to put in, Neflix movies to watch... The root of all this evil is really work. If only there was a way to cut those 40 hours out and still survive...

I have to admit, I'm pretty big on getting old stuff that's new to me. I'm only 28, I didn't have the pleasure of growing up as a teenager during the '80s and being old enough to be aware of and have money to spend on music. I've always got a lot of catching up to do in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Kmorg, I went through a period like you're describing back in 2006. For almost a year, I didn't really listen to any new bands, just my favorite classics. I eventually got the bug to discover new bands and music again, which hasn't abated since then.

Just go with the flow, listen to what you want to.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Yeah, I think the answer for mye is to go backwards again, and not trying to find some new stuff all the time. Today I've enjoyed some old Ratt and Alice Cooper. Very Happy

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:03 pm

kmorg wrote:
Yeah, I think the answer for mye is to go backwards again, and not trying to find some new stuff all the time. Today I've enjoyed some old Ratt and Alice Cooper. Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

It is fun to go back. There is so much I havent listened to that its like discovering a new cd for the first time. I want to spend some time listening to the hair metal of the past that I have not heard in a long time.

Of course my new found Kiss obsession will limit that a little Smile

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

To me I think you are stuck in a bubble. You will always go back to the bands you love because that is what you are used to. Finding new bands is hard as you hold your expecations high as far as being compared to the ones you already love. I think you have to just put past the fact that newer bands cant hold up to the older ones we have listened to for many years...
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Even sex gets boring if you do it all the time.

Keep an open mind, slow down the expectations and take it for what it is.

Besides, who could go wrong with some "old" RATT?

Can't wait for Infestation!!!!!!! Still excited? - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 pm

I still get excited over new music. Since I've been a regular internet user, so many new genres of music have been made available to me. Heck, up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I didn't even know that there was a whole genre of Christian metal for instance. My knowledge of Christian music began and ended with Stryper. Same thing with doom. Never knew that there were tons of bands out there that just specialized in that music. Or stoner metal. And discovering old thrash bands that slipped under the radar back in the day is always fun. So there is always something new that I'm digging at any given time.

There are times when I get bored with some newer stuff, but that's when I go back to the classics and my interest in discovering new music gets rekindled. It happens to all of us I guess.

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm

kmorg wrote:
Yeah, I think the answer for mye is to go backwards again, and not trying to find some new stuff all the time. Today I've enjoyed some old Ratt and Alice Cooper. Very Happy

Well, you can't go wrong with Ratt and Alice. Now, see Ratt's new one, Infestation, is a new one I'm really looking forward to this year.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I still get excited over new music. Since I've been a regular internet user, so many new genres of music have been made available to me. Heck, up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I didn't even know that there was a whole genre of Christian metal for instance. My knowledge of Christian music began and ended with Stryper. Same thing with doom. Never knew that there were tons of bands out there that just specialized in that music. Or stoner metal. And discovering old thrash bands that slipped under the radar back in the day is always fun. So there is always something new that I'm digging at any given time.

There are times when I get bored with some newer stuff, but that's when I go back to the classics and my interest in discovering new music gets rekindled. It happens to all of us I guess.

well said. I have been getting into a little retro swing lately with Big Bad voodoo Daddy. Totally outside metal but its a blast!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:32 am

Maybe it's just been a crappy year? Still excited? - Page 2 685534

I dunno bout the rest of ya, but I found very little to get "excited" about in 2009. Over the weekend I sat down to start compiling my "Year In Review" column for Detritus 'zine and I was kinda surprised at how few 2009 releases I had even acquired... and out of those, it was kind of tough to come up with a "Best Of..." list. The majority of the CDs I acquired this year were back-catalog titles from previous years, and I got most of those thru trading.

Obviously the ongoing economic crisis took a big ole bite out of my CD-buying habits this past year, so that was a big part of it, but on the other hand barring a few "must have" releases for me (i.e. Heaven and Hell, the new KISS, the new Megadeth, etc.) I didn't come across much that I simply HAD to get hold of.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 am

I recently took a month break of heavy metal. I was listening to 90's rock I used to listen when I was in my early teen years(staind,RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS, FOO FIGHTER, OFFPRING, CREED, GODSMACK, TOOL,DESFTONES). This week I went back to listen to metal and everything sounds much better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:59 am

powermacho wrote:
I recently took a month break of heavy metal. I was listening to 90's rock I used to listen when I was in my early teen years(staind,RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS, FOO FIGHTER, OFFPRING, CREED, GODSMACK, TOOL,DESFTONES). This week I went back to listen to metal and everything sounds much better.

I recently did the same thing with both Oasis and the Foo Fighters. I liked them back when they first cme on the scene, but lost track after a few years when I stopped listening to mainstream radio. Ripping their older stuff to my computer rekindled my interest in both bands and I immediatly began tracking down all the discs I was missing from their discographys. I've been finding some great music at great prices between ebay & Amazon. Sometimes it pays to wait till a bands popularity to dip.

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 am

Nobody is gonna want to hear this, but the difference between Jake's continuing excitement over new music and Kurt's waining excitement is age...the older you get, Kurt's situation becomes more common...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 am

I'm the same age as you, ya old fart. Don't poop in my bag of sunshine!!

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 am

I already went through my "bored with new music, think I'll just listen to my old albums" phase a few years ago. I'm not sure why, but out of the blue one day I just had the itch to start looking for new music (by both new bands and the old bands I used to keep track of) and now I'm probably more into metal than I was even the first time around. The only problem is that now I'm kicking myself for missing some good concerts and albums over the years and having to play catch up Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm the same age as you, ya old fart. Don't poop in my bag of sunshine!!

But it's my job...Spec pays me well....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Nobody is gonna want to hear this, but the difference between Jake's continuing excitement over new music and Kurt's waining excitement is age...the older you get, Kurt's situation becomes more common...

now i am depressed. time to sell all the cds...

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 am

I have no overbearing nostalgia for the 1980's. That was a great time for music...but it's over.

During the 90's I was pretty well burnt out on any music rock-related, but over the past few years I've discovered a lot of fantastic music from the 90's that I just wasn't aware of at the time.

Now we're 10 years into the 2000's and I gotta say i LOVE the variety of stuff coming out these days. Now, most of the bands I follow are not "straight ahead metal"...but music that takes elements of metal and mixes it together with other styles to come up with something new.

We all go through periods of burnout, sometimes a break is in order, sometimes it's our mind's way of telling us that we need new artistic stimulation...maybe it's time to start broadening your musical horizons?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 am

I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the 80s either. In fact, a lot of bands I used to love in the 80s I can't really remain interested in too much (it's a short list of bands from that era that I still grab and listen to). I go thru quick phases where new or new-to-me bands latch on for a while, but then they drop off and I end up with my absolute favorites once again...
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:45 am

detuned wrote:
I have no overbearing nostalgia for the 1980's. That was a great time for music...but it's over.
agreed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 am

T-Roy wrote:
detuned wrote:
agreed

I still have music from all era's that I love, but I don't love an era itself...

I still love the old (Kansas, King's X, U2, Dio-Sabbath, Queensryche, etc) and the new (Muse, Radiohead, Beardfish, Butch Walker, Gazpacho)...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:07 pm

I think my biggest problem is my overspending/overbuying. I own approx. 3000 CD's, and new ones comes in almost every day. If I'm lucky, I get to listen to 1 or 2 CD's a day. So it will take me close to 10 years to listen through all of my CD's!!!!! And still I keep buying way more than I get to listen to. So my listening habits have become a little "frantic" and stressed. I also think I've pretty much heard all the great bands in the genres that I like. And now I have to dig so deep in the underground to find new stuff. And frankly, the bands that weren't signed back in the day.. well, usually there was a reason for that! But I keep buying all the reissues, compilation demos and whatnot, thinking: "one of these bands might be the long lost gem I'm looking for". You see, that used to happen when I first got online some 10 years ago. I discovered "new" old bands that I never knew about al the time. But I think those days are pretty much over with. And the age thing also means that my memory is shot, so new music doesn't stick to the memoery as well as those old classics did back then. A lot of "good music" relies as heavily on nostalgia that it does talent within the band, if you ask me.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:20 pm

kmorg wrote:
I think my biggest problem is my overspending/overbuying. I own approx. 3000 CD's, and new ones comes in almost every day. If I'm lucky, I get to listen to 1 or 2 CD's a day. So it will take me close to 10 years to listen through all of my CD's!!!!! And still I keep buying way more than I get to listen to. So my listening habits have become a little "frantic" and stressed. I also think I've pretty much heard all the great bands in the genres that I like. And now I have to dig so deep in the underground to find new stuff. And frankly, the bands that weren't signed back in the day.. well, usually there was a reason for that! But I keep buying all the reissues, compilation demos and whatnot, thinking: "one of these bands might be the long lost gem I'm looking for". You see, that used to happen when I first got online some 10 years ago. I discovered "new" old bands that I never knew about al the time. But I think those days are pretty much over with. And the age thing also means that my memory is shot, so new music doesn't stick to the memoery as well as those old classics did back then. A lot of "good music" relies as heavily on nostalgia that it does talent within the band, if you ask me.
Go ahead buddy...just get it aaallllllllllllll out pal. It's okay to cry too....

"my name is Kurt (say it with me bro) and I'm a metal cdaholic, I haven't boughten a cd in...(well, you can start on that next month?)"
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I like what I like. It doesn't matter what style, era, decade, or year.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

T-Roy wrote:
"my name is Kurt (say it with me bro) and I'm a metal cdaholic, I haven't boughten a cd in...(well, you can start on that next month?)"

Still excited? - Page 2 Lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still excited?   Still excited? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Still excited?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next