Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2

Go down 
+11
7thSaviour
Smindas
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
krokus
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
Lari
kmorg
Eyesore
A Handful of Wayne
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Empty
PostSubject: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 am

earMUSIC/Edel Records has set a March 2 European release date for "Still The Orchestra Plays: Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2", the official anthology from the legendary U.S. metal act SAVATAGE. The collection contains remastered classics plus three new, previously unreleased acoustic recordings. The limited edition of the anthology comes with the complete "Japan Live" show from 1994, which appears here for the first time on DVDSavatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 2_bing.

"Still The Orchestra Plays" will be followed by the re-release of SAVATAGE's complete catalog — remastered and featuring bonus tracks as well as newly recorded audio commentary.

"Still The Orchestra Plays: Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2" track listing:

CD1: Greatest Hits Vol.1:

01. Power Of The Night
02. Hall Of The Mountain King
03. 24Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 2_bing Hours Ago
04. Legions
05. Gutter Ballet
06. Summers Rain
07. When The Crowds Are Gone
08. GhostSavatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 2_bing In The Ruins
09. If I Go Away
10. NYC Don't Mean Nothing
11. Edge Of Thorns
12. All That I Bleed

CD2: Greatest Hits Vol.2:

01. Handful Of Rain
02. Chance
03. One Child
04. I Am
05. Anymore
06. Hourglass
07. The Wake Of Magellan
08. Morphine Child

Bonus tracks (recorded by Jon Oliva in 2009):

09. Anymore (acoustic)
10. Not What You See (acoustic)
11. Out On The Streets (acoustic)

DVD - "Japan Live 94":

01. Taunting Cobras
02. Edge Of Thorns
03. Chance
04. Conversation Piece
05. Nothing Going On
06. He Carves His Stone
07. Jesus Saves
08. Watching You Fall
09. Castles Burning
10. All That I Bleed
11. Stare Into The Sun
12. Damien
13. Handful Of Rain
14. Sirens
15. Gutter Ballet
16. Hall Of The Mountain King

Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Savaorch

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Abaddon font! So lame.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 am

You know I'll buy this. The sad part is that it looks like I have to re-buy the entire Savatage back catalogue, again! That's like the 4th time for me! Laughing

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:37 am

This already came up in the Savatage discography thread - it's a bit of a shame the DVD won't be available separately. I think I'll get the compilation anyway, but maybe I shouldn't bother with the back catalogue? I think it should be enough for me to have those few remastered 'greatest hits' tracks in the comp.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

"Still The Orchestra Plays" will be followed by the re-release of SAVATAGE's complete catalog — remastered and featuring bonus tracks as well as newly recorded audio commentary.

finally, ughhhh. That's all I care about..let's get on with that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 am

Nice. I'll try and get the version w/the DVD. Otherwise, I probably won't bother... don't need a pack of previously released tracks cuz I have all the albums already

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:42 am

It would be nice to have the Sava 80's albums remastered. Most of those sound like crap on a stick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 am

Eyesore wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Abaddon font! So lame.

Yeah, it seems that Abaddon is the chosen font for Jon Oliva related things.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 am

I am going to buy this package. Sound just great, specialy the dvd.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 am

Aw shoot, waitaminnit. This is a European only release? Dang. That probably means it'll be a Region 2 DVD. I don't have a region-free DVD player.

(ala Gilda Radner) Nevermind.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Aw shoot, waitaminnit. This is a European only release? Dang. That probably means it'll be a Region 2 DVD. I don't have a region-free DVD player.

(ala Gilda Radner) Nevermind.

Didn't I give you a copy of that DVD?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 am

SpectreFate wrote:

Didn't I give you a copy of that DVD?

The one you gave me was "Live in Florida," from the GUTTER BALLET tour. (which is GREAT by the way...)

The one included with this set is the "Live in Japan" video from '94.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 am

Well I can show you where to get that Japan DVD if you're feelin' froggy. Smile
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:35 pm

computers can play any region dvd right? As usual I could be wrong haha

I'm getting this and the remasters who cares If I have all this already. The extras alone will be worth it and just to have them sound better will be all worth it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 pm

I'll probably pick this up for the dvd.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I wonder how much better the sound will be on the new wave of re-masters.

I have both the initial releases and some Savatage remasters (from 1997 and 2002) and I can't tell the difference between them. The only real difference is of course the bonus tracks but not much else.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Because those re-releases were just that. They weren't remastered.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Will definitely be interested to see if any new bonus tracks crop up. I will forever live in hope that they find all the lost recordings from Streets. That Japan '94 gig is a bit weird though. It's a good watch and indeed, fantastic to hear the vocal trade off between Jon and Zak in 'Gutter Ballet' and hearing Zak do 'Hall of the Mountain King'. But it's weird that the camera actively seems to make sure there's very few shots of Jon himself - he comes out to play guitar for 'Hall of the Mountain King', but he's barely visible. Furthermore, if I remember correctly, Chris Caffery overdubbed all of Alex Skolnick's guitar parts and as such the guitars sound a bit... off in places. Not because Caffery's a bad player or anything because he's fantastic, but because it sometimes seems the image doesn't match up to the sound.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:54 pm

If those remasters on the compilation sound SPECTACULAR, I think I will have to reconsider upgrading all my Savatage albums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
computers can play any region dvd right? As usual I could be wrong haha
They can, but you have to change the players setting to that specific region. That's easy enough, though, it's just under properties, if you right-click the drive under My Computer. From there it's probably a little different per drive, but on mine, for instance, I click the hardware tab, then click on the properties button under that one, a new window pops up, and then click the region tab. From there, I just select the specific region.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

Maybe if you wait a little they'll release in the US too.

Savatage has a reasonably good fanbase in Europe and Japan, but they are quite marginal in North America. Which is kind of sad, considering the origin of the band. I guess it's no different to Iced Earth.

It was funny though, I was just watching a Blackhawks game the other night and during the commercial break all of a sudden Chris Caffery was on my screen, shredding. But of course, they were promoting the new Trans-Siberian Orchestra album and tour...
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:31 pm

This will be great! I've had their Live In Japan CD for years now. The DVD will kick ass!
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Chris Caffery wore the Blackhawks jersey during his introduction spiel during the TSO show the day after Christmas.

I can't wait for this release. I will be getting it as well.

Can't wait for the spring tour of TSO either. Having seen them twice now, I will never miss another show again when they come to the Chicago area. Only need to find out when and when I can get tickets now. May have to take someone other than my wife for this show though, as I suspect it will be mostly metal, and she is not a big fan of metal. Even at the TSO concert, but still the lights, the drum solo just wow her.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 pm

bgast1 wrote:
Chris Caffery wore the Blackhawks jersey during his introduction spiel during the TSO show the day after Christmas.

I can't wait for this release. I will be getting it as well.

Can't wait for the spring tour of TSO either. Having seen them twice now, I will never miss another show again when they come to the Chicago area. Only need to find out when and when I can get tickets now. May have to take someone other than my wife for this show though, as I suspect it will be mostly metal, and she is not a big fan of metal. Even at the TSO concert, but still the lights, the drum solo just wow her.
GO BLACKHAWKS! Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 11840
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 pm

What do you guys think of the track list for the best of? I thought it's a great selection of songs for a new fan, but where's Sirens? And there should be at least one track off of Dungeons Are Calling (Midas Knight!!!). Does it have something to do with rights to the songs, or they just chose not to pick anything off the first two albums? I think Hounds could fit in as well... but hell, it's only two discs. If I listed all the deserving Savatage tracks, it'd be a box set already.

The second disc seems very heavy on huge, epic tracks, especially songs with those trademark Savatage counterpoint vocals. Good luck listening through that in one go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2   Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage Still The Orchestra Plays Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next