Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pitboss
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pitboss

Number of posts : 18

Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Empty
PostSubject: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 pm

They do a cover of " Die for my Sins ". Any good? I don't want to buy this cd if it's no good as I'm not really into the band.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:37 pm

It's a good cover. It has Morby of Domine on guest lead vocals which further separates the song from their catalog. The EP it's on is not all that great, however. People not really into the band in general I would suggest the s/t album, a very overlooked piece of riff heavy, accessible prog/power/speed metal.
Back to top Go down
Pitboss
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pitboss

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

I see they have keyboards, any in the Sanctuary song?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Listen for yourself.....

Back to top Go down
Pitboss
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pitboss

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks, bro. You just saved me $7.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 am

Pitboss wrote:
Thanks, bro. You just saved me $7.

Yeah, it's not all that great unless you like that light Euro sound. Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary 78889
Back to top Go down
Pitboss
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pitboss

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah, not for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 11:31 am

The self titled is the only one worth owning. OCI is right about it being riff heavy.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm

huh..lots of negativity in threads I want to post in, lol. genres, Labyrinth...

ummmmmmmm. well, this is one of my favorite bands within this
particular genre umbrella, whatever that means to you the reader. Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_razz
Each album is somewhat different, as this band actually does *progress*
from album to album, but identity is still retained. The first two, 'No
Limits' and 'Return to Heaven Denied' are sort of brothers in the
discography and showcase some of the best of Olaf Thorsen and the rest
of the band's songwriting. Vision Divine fans would be well served to
check those out. The first one is an incredibly interesting combination
of dark tinged power metal with some hints of Fates Warning and
electronic influence, very fresh for 1996. Fabio Lione makes his debut here and IMO sounds better than much of the Rhapsody material, though young, his breathing sounds fuller and he takes more chances with old school metal screams. 'Return to Heaven Denied' is a progression of the sound on the debut with a more romantic, elegant feel that's always affected me deeply, there is slightly progressive power metal to be found here with tons of atmosphere and guitars recalling Malmsteen, Gilmour, and Hansen/Weikath at once. This album is also Rob Tyrant's vocal debut, and he seems a better fit for the band, his timbre is well balanced with feel placed above technique in singing that ranges from classic power metal to something more smooth and almost R&B influenced. Olaf's work with this band up to this point is better, IMO, than anything he would later do in Vision Divine - the songwriting team is better, the chemistry is stronger, and the musicians more unique together.

ok hold on..need to go and complete the thoughts later..
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I dig Labyrinth, especially that EP and their first couple. They had a unique sound for their time. Return to Heaven Denied is an absolute classic IMO.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Pitboss

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm not trying to be negative, it's just not my thing.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 pm

nah, wasn't referring to your post, just some of the others combined, I just felt like providing some balance since the band is not often talked about so I thought I'd contribute as well. Smile

and now I somehow decided to make it my mini discography thingy..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:07 pm

That wasn't a bad cover but nothin' that would make me wanna buy the CD. I've had a couple of Labyrinth's albums over the years, they were OK I guess but none of'em stuck around for very long.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 pm

so now I have a minute again finally. The 'Timeless Crime' EP...eh. One song is a strange compilation of little parts from other tracks, 'Falling Rain' is much better with the full band, the 'In the Shade' re-recording isn't half as intense as the original...I don't really care about the Sanctuary cover being as there's a totally different singer on it....really I just have this because it was there to get and cheap. I will say that 'Save Me' is better on here than it is on the next full length, 'Sons of Thunder'. 'Sons of Thunder' is sort of a giant Olaf Thorsen blunder, most of the songs feel like b-sides and the production is flat, trebly, and lifeless often as with Vision Divine. Originally, Neil Kernon was producing the album, but Olaf disliked the mix and junked it for his own. It's also a really bizarre concept about King Louis XIV, which is executed bizarrely, and doesn't move me. However, the song 'Kathryn' is incredible. Otherwise, from the production to the lazy songwriting, on this album the band is power-metal-cruise-control sound, and further disagreements would see Thorsen leaving shortly after.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 am

Their cover of die for my sins is very very good. I like Labyrinth.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 9:10 am

hey thanks..I almost forgot, heh.

The next album, the self-titled... Labyrinth change things up some more on this, handing off many of the dual leads to a guitar/keyboard approach and filling in the rest with single-guitar heavy riffs borrowing from classic speed/power, and thrash. Thus, Labyrinth's speed is pummeling in a different way here, the rhythm guitar tone also being immensely juicy and enjoyable to hear, see 'The Prophet' and 'Just Soldier (Stay Down)'. The rhythm section has been given a bit more freedom, and Mat's technical drumwork helps propel many a delicious Rush-like section that tops off the power metal assault but doesn't push it in a typical 'progpower' territory, the mid-paced 'Hand in Hand' for example is pure dynamics, emotion, and feel the whole way through. While the keys were starting to go a bit much towards harpsicord, strings, and so forth on the last album, here they go back to the roots of the band, which is classic prog rock tone and electronic atmosphere melded into one, and as a backdrop against the dominating rhythm guitar, the contrast feels fresh and flows perfectly. There's a huge use of light and shade going into unfamiliar waters, like the way 'Synthetic Paradise' beats you in the face following the perfect intro, or the calm atmosphere of 'When I Will Fly Far'. The songwriting is strong, varied, and recognizable all the way through. I have always felt that this band uses a much different kind of emotive approach to their signature melodic sound rather than the landscape being full of the usual neoclassical or baroque stylings most people would expect from a band within the genre, and this is extremely present here. Great album and my favorite along with the first two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary   Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Labyrinth's cover of Sanctuary
Page 1 of 1