Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!

Go down 
+11
exact33
Eyesore
Dave the Boss
Stender
T-Roy
ryanmetalman
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
kmorg
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
15 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 am

I'm sure all of you remember where you were and what you were doing when the crisis hit. It was a personal disaster for me. I was left with a generator that I've never used, 47 cans of Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup, plus my goat ate $2000 in cash that I had stocked up.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I do remember. I actually thought of this the other night when an old Family Guy episode was on that centered on Y2K. Peace.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 2:54 am

lol!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 am

I didn't do anything particularly special to "prepare" for Y2K. I didn't stock up on canned food, buy a gun or a generator, etc. In fact, I remember thinking that the hysteria was kinda silly.

Though I did consider going to Tower Records on Dec. 31st '99 and maxing out my credit cards buying CDs, in the hopes that the Y2K bug would destroy all of the computers tracking the transaction so I wouldn't have to pay the bill. Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_lol

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:07 am

I'm wondering if the 2012 hoopla will be another false alarm like the Y2K thing.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

Oh my goodness. I was living with a friend. His mother had bought into the hysteria big time. They had an old run down 50's era pick-up. She wanted her son to "get it running again, because it might be the only thing running once 2000 hits."

I won't share my feelings on this, they probably won't be popular...

As for 2012, granted I am not well versed in Ancient Culture or Ancient Calender making. (I can't even remember if it is a Mayan calender or an Aztec calender.) However, they only have so much to work with in making said calender. It is astounding that they made one that goes all the way to 2012, but just because it ends there doesn't mean they think the world will end on that date. We live in a finite world, how can one be expected to make an infinite calender? Especially if you are working with stone.

My question is this. Did they simply end the calender at 2012, or did they predict some major (potentially world ending) event in 2012?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 am

Man, if you were an end times preacher leading up to Y2k....you were making a MINT! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 am

And if you predicted all those calamities you should've had some rocks tossed your way.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 am

Quote :
My question is this. Did they simply end the calender at 2012, or did they predict some major (potentially world ending) event in 2012?

The media and the History channel seems to think it's the latter. I think it's mostly hype for ratings since people can be obsessed with morbid subjects.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

The media and the History channel seems to think it's the latter. I think it's mostly hype for ratings since people can be obsessed with morbid subjects.

I think it has to do with everyone living in a "fear culture". Why can't the media present the 2012 theory with a positive note, like maybe 2012 will be a shift of the planets overall consence to the positive?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
And if you predicted all those calamities you should've had some rocks tossed your way.
WORD lol!
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Well, it's nonsense. I don't know exactly what the ending of the calender means, but I read in an academic journal that it's simply the end of an age, and that another age will start after that.

As for Y2K, I think we were visiting family in Florida. I didn't really get any of the commotion since I was so young.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I was in Korea, on base lockdown, waiting for everything to fail and N. Korea to attack. So everyone was in the dorms, totally sober, just hanging out. Then at 11:59pm, we heard a loud explosion that shook the dorm. The lights went out and everyone freaked out, men and women screaming and crying, stumbling their way to their rooms to put on chem gear...because N. Korea was attacking.

Or a generator outside blew.

When the lights came back on, one thing was clear. If did get attacked, we were all dead. People had their chem pants on backwards, gloves on wrong hands, masks not sealed properly—it was a mess.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

my friend bought a generator and tried to hook it to his house and ended up blowing the transformer. That was an expensive experience. My wife and i went home a little early and kept some extra cash out but nothing like the crazy panic movies that NBC was airing...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I was in Korea, on base lockdown, waiting for everything to fail and N. Korea to attack. So everyone was in the dorms, totally sober, just hanging out. Then at 11:59pm, we heard a loud explosion that shook the dorm. The lights went out and everyone freaked out, men and women screaming and crying, stumbling their way to their rooms to put on chem gear...because N. Korea was attacking.

When the lights came back on, one thing was clear. If did get attacked, we were all dead. People had their chem pants on backwards, gloves on wrong hands, masks not sealed properly—it was a mess.

Laughing very hard

Remember folks, these are the people who are keeping us safe....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 pm

I got extra trashed at my neighbors party and turned off the main breaker to the house at midnight. EVERYONE screamed, one of the best practical jokes Ive ever pulled. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

The only thing I did at Y2K was buy some bottled water and canned goods. Since those things keep forever I figured if nothing happened I'd put them in my "emergency supply kit".

We did have a heluva scramble at work though because some of the legacy programs did not provide for a 4 digit year which meant some of our applications would interpret the year 2000 as 1900. We had tried to clean up all that stuff prior to Y2K and I was worried we might have missed something. We as a company did miss a few but not in my department.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Laughing very hard

Remember folks, these are the people who are keeping us safe....
lol!

It wasn't even funny, man. We all knew we were doomed. Haha. But how about the timing of that damn generator blowing? Unreal. Haha.

EDIT: Not a generator, a damn transformer.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:59 am

Y2K, 2012....it's all BS created to put fear into people and see how far these drugs will take them.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Though I did consider going to Tower Records on Dec. 31st '99 and maxing out my credit cards buying CDs, in the hopes that the Y2K bug would destroy all of the computers tracking the transaction so I wouldn't have to pay the bill. Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_lol

Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! 201269 Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! 201269
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 pm

2012 is the date they stopped at because the calendar chiselers were tired and went and got a beer.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 2:45 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
2012 is the date they stopped at because the calendar chiselers were tired and went and got a beer.
drunk
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary for Y2K. I didn't get caught up in the hype, I guess. What I do remember about the 1999 to 2000 change-over is that it was the last New Year's Eve that I got fall-down-sloppy-vomiting-black-out drunk. After that, I've remained pretty even-keeled through the celebrations.

Quote :
plus my goat ate $2000 in cash that I had stocked up.

Did you kill him? I'd be pissed.

PostSubject: Re: Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!   Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ten years ago this week-Y2K!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: