Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage heading to broadway

Go down 
+6
thejokeriv
kmorg
the sentinel
Dave the Boss
Fat Freddy
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Savatage heading to broadway Empty
PostSubject: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:56 pm

There is to be a Broadway musical based on Savatage’s 1989 album Gutter Ballet.This is currently being worked on by band vocalist Jon Oliva and producer Paul O’Neill, who hope to have it ready in the next two years.
O’Neill actually began working on the songs in the 1970s, with Savatage providing the outlet for hard rock versions of these via the original album.
“We want to take it back to the original blues, gospel, Motown sound,” O’Neill told thenewstar.com. “For Savatage, you’ve got to metal it up. Jon and I are kind of psyched to be doing it because Broadway is something we’ve always wanted to take on.”
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:57 pm

This would be cool but I won't hold my breath. There was some talk about them bringing STREETS to Broadway back in the 90s but nothing ever came of it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow, that's awesome!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Neat. I wish Paul and Jon all the luck bringing this to fruition. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
This would be cool but I won't hold my breath. There was some talk about them bringing STREETS to Broadway back in the 90s but nothing ever came of it.

Like FF don't hold your breathe, Broadway plays cost millions of dollars to produce, and other more mainstream artist such as Paul Simon and Billy Joel have even managed produce Broadway musicals and failed, but it would be very cool.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:14 pm

manny wrote:
Broadway plays cost millions of dollars to produce, and other more mainstream artist such as Paul Simon and Billy Joel have even managed produce Broadway musicals and failed

Yup, I could see a small theatre group turning it into an off-Broadway workshop thing like the '80s "jukebox musical" "Rock of Ages" that's currently packing'em in, but I doubt any Broadway producer would want to gamble zillions of $'s on a show based on music by a relatively unknown band/album like Savatage.

Either way, I wish'em the best of luck. Who knows, maybe on a future episode of "That Metal Show" Eddie, Don and Jim will be the emcees for the opening night of "Streets: The Musical" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 pm

This will be TSO for the stage more than Savatage.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:57 pm

kmorg wrote:
This will be TSO for the stage more than Savatage.

Yep - if they use the TSO name, it will probably sell more seats....
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 4:09 pm

If I recall correctly, bits of Gutter Ballet and most of Streets are based off the 'Gutter Ballet' musical Paul wrote before becoming associated with Savatage. Then Criss and Jon found the script and adapted the ideas in to something a bit more Sava. Presumably, this is going to be more of the original concept. It's a shame, because I'd love to see the hard-rock / metal of Streets turned in to a musical. Still, in the unlikely event they can get this off the ground, I'm sure it'd be an enjoyable watch.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I imagine the money made from TSO will make this a lot easier this time. I know they made $500,000 from just the one show I saw. Obviously that's not all profit, but TSO is making a lot of cash in their few-months runs.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

I just saw TSO last Saturday, and I believe I read something about it in the program. TSO is also doing a tour this spring. Broadway will be under TSO name.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Really curious to see how the non-Christmas tour turns out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 6:15 pm

I hope it works out. Those two have amazing talent and it's great to see them succeed.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I'll go for sure to see the broadway show. I hope it does sound like the real songs at least Savatage heading to broadway 778825
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Savatage heading to broadway   Savatage heading to broadway Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage heading to broadway
Page 1 of 1