Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009

Go down 
+5
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dave the Boss
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
9 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 pm

The day finally came! Cage in Texas! Also, Helstar in Ft. Worth first time in 23 years (according to Rivera)

A couple of pretty lame local bands opened. You have to start somewhere, but they need some seasoning.

Up first for real:

Warbeast

I'd never heard of them so I didn't know what to expect. But as soon as the lead guitarist did this little thrashy/power warm up run, I knew they were going to be good. They were.

Very tight and professional sounding Thrash metal. They sounded more like "old" school Thrash to me. I was suprised and only after did I learn these guys are all vets of the scene.

They had this little tiny drummer who could simply kill it. Very good set of about 6 or so songs
Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0036-1

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0038

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0040-1

Next up:

Cage

This is THE reason I came. After Hell Destroyer these guys became one of my favorites. Hell Destroyer is a "desert island" disc for me/

Sean Peck is a vocal god. Really, no exaggeration for me. Hell Destroyer and Darker Than Black are awesome albums, but how does one do in concert, away from modern gadgets? Peck = incredible!

He puts on this incredible show, knowing full well how good he is.
Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0042

This is how he walks out.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0048

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0059

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0057

The band is tight and hitting everything nicely. I appreciate the effort considering the pitiful turn out. Maybe 200 people to see this incredible band.

They played a couple from Darker Than Black, a few from Hell Destroyer and a few from the new one Science of Annihilation. I had not yet heard the new one, but what I heard in front of me let me know it is going to be killer as well.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0052

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0062-1

Dave Garcia, who's an incredible guitarist, has to be easily the largest good musician in the World. He's short (maybe 5'5" or so) but just massive. I'm decent sized and was wearing my Ultimatum muscle-T and felt embarrassed and tiny when I spoke to him briefly. He's HUGE!

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0064

The drummer was very good and kept the pace for everyone.
Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0058

Great show! If it bothered them playing to a tiny crowd, they didn't show it.

Next up:

Helstar

They were the headliners, but didn't go on until about midnight. A lot of the crowd had been there to see Warbeast and/or Cage and didn't stay. Maybe 100 or so people saw Helstar. A total shame. The World needs to be destroyed.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0066

I'm not a big Helstar fan, and I think it's a Rivera thing. They're not bad at all, and he's a fine vocalist -hitting all the notes - but I don't like his vocal melodies. He just doesn't sound interesting....but that didn't take away from the show. They were very professional and not only ignored the lack of people, but embraced those of us who were there as "true metal" fans keeping the flame alive.

Their set was full of incredibly fast and brutal songs. Very brutal at times. I'd say half of their songs sounded like Death Metal with Powermetal vocals. They were brutal.

Rivera was very active and playful with the crowd. He's a good showman.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0068-1

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0081

Not sure why it came out like this, but I like this picture.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0083\

Goofy little dude, but he's got pipes.

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 IMG_0085

A great show all in all!!

Three fast and brutal bands. Didn't end until after 1:30, (check the time-stamp above...dude's killing it 3.5 hours past my normal bed time! ) but the family came with me and I had just a few miles' drive to the hotel. The next day we went to the Ft. Worth Zoo which is a very good one.

Dallas Black - no stupid excuses next time!!

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Sounds like a great show despite the low turnout Scott.I'd like to catch Helstar live sometime.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 6:11 am

Helstar are brilliant! Nosferatu, Burning Star, and Remnants of War are three of my favorite US metal records ever. Didn't care much for The King of Hell though. It was kinda boring imo.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 am

Right on! Did you get any guitar picks?

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Sounds awesome. 200 is a crime.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Cool pics. Sounds like a killer show that noone but a select few got to see.

Quote :
Dave Garcia, who's an incredible guitarist, has to be easily the largest good musician in the World.

This struck me as funny. Are you implying that there are larger bad musicians out there? Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_biggrin

The Cage vocalist has a real Halford-like vibe about him. Good for him.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 8:42 am

thanks for sharing the photos

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:07 am

Looks like ya had a cool time ScottM. Kinda sad that only 100 people stuck around to see Helstar in their home state though!!!

Is it me, or does James Rivera look like a "Mini-Me" version of Chuck Billy (Testament) in those pix? Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 am

Quote :
Did you get any guitar picks?

No. I'm not a big collector....but if one fell at my feet I'd get it.

Quote :
This struck me as funny. Are you implying that there are larger bad musicians out there? Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_biggrin

That's sort of what I meant. There might be some crappy musicians out their who are simply massive, but you don't know about them because they are crappy.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Glad you had a great time!!! Those are some great pics!!! Thanks for sharing them!
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 am

Sounds very cool. I will see Cage next year in September, can't wait for it. And I would like to see Helstar as well.

A while a go I bougth the first Cage CD Unveiled on ebay from Dimitri Liapakis from Mystic Prophecy.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 am

Quote :
I will see Cage next year in September, can't wait for it.

Is this at KIT? I envy anyone who gets to go to that. At least in Europe Cage gets the crowds they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'd say half of their songs sounded like Death Metal with Powermetal vocals. They were brutal.

If you don't mind, Scotty, I might borrow this description for my Detritus year-end column (in which Helstar's THE KING OF HELL disc gets an honorable mention. It describes the sound of that album just about perfect in my book. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 pm

An admitted plagiarizer huh? I've lost all respect for you. Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
An admitted plagiarizer huh? I've lost all respect for you. Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_cry

No plagiarizin' here...I gave him credit for the line when I wrote up the column. Even us wanna-be fake journalists have standards by which we must abide. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009   Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cage - Helstar - Warbeast Concert Review Dec. 13, 2009
Page 1 of 1