Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?

Go down 
+5
Required Fields
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
fingers
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Empty
PostSubject: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm not refering to these days when they are recording (boring) tired radio friendly songs and when Anthony Keidis sounds like hes taken half a dozen valium tablets and the audience they attract are simple minded teeny boppn 16 year olds and the general pop audience No Way! I am referring to the days when they were a unique energetic Funk band that had fire and the songs were pure and fresh. Also when they had Hillel guitarist the Jimi Hendrix of funk. Would you call em a funk metal band? I probably say their album Uplift Party Plan and Mothers Milk are good examples. It's such a pity they have turned themselves from the red hot chili peppers into the red stale chili peppers. I agree on what scott (ultmetal) said about their
weak Iggy Pop cover a good example.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 2:06 pm

I never thought they were particularly "metal" but I always did kinda like RHCP's "Mother's Milk" album... that cover of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" slams!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Never could get into this band. Their current radio hits grate on my nerves! sick
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 2:52 pm

I remember in the late 80s when Metal Maniacs magazine first started up, they actually covered the RHCP's a couple of times. I guess then-editor Katherine Ludwig was a fan. I remember seeing pin-ups of them in between articles on Slayer and Testament and goin' "Hmm, one of these does not belong..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 pm

I love both eras of the band. Never considered them metal, though. Not even even funk metal.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm

They have a few songs from several years ago that I like, but on the whole I don't really like them.

Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 10:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Their current radio hits grate on my nerves! sick

same here! As bad as St Anger in a different way

Last edited by on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28441

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I remember in the late 80s when Metal Maniacs magazine first started up, they actually covered the RHCP's a couple of times. I guess then-editor Katherine Ludwig was a fan. I remember seeing pin-ups of them in between articles on Slayer and Testament and goin' "Hmm, one of these does not belong..."

Heh, I know what you mean, dude.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:31 am

i only liked that previously mentions Stevie Wonder cover they did. nothing else appealed to me. it just isn't hard enough. when i want funk metal, i break out the Infectious Grooves. Mike Muir did it best!

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:39 am

Eyesore wrote:
I love both eras of the band. Never considered them metal, though. Not even even funk metal.

I agree. I love flea, one of the top bass players. I can only think of two who woudl be better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am

Parksey wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I agree. I love flea, one of the top bass players. I can only think of two who woudl be better.
Flea is indeed a killer bass player. What amazed me was that on their latest double album, I liked all 28 songs. I mean, I found none of them skip-worthy! That's crazy! I can totally see why a lot of people here wouldn't like them, though, so I won't preach. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 am

I have the first four or so albums...still don't know why. I think maybe because I was a teenager when I got them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:46 am

Eyesore wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Flea is indeed a killer bass player. What amazed me was that on their latest double album, I liked all 28 songs. I mean, I found none of them skip-worthy! That's crazy! I can totally see why a lot of people here wouldn't like them, though, so I won't preach. Laughing

I'll just say I totally agree with you on that. I don't think I've skipped one song on the album (excet Snow once or twice, I've heard it way too much on radio to the point the song isn't as good as it used to be for me).happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:48 am

I never listen the radio for that precise reason. On Saturday's I will listen to WAAF because they have the Hair Ball, all 80s music! But a few weeks ago it wasn't on, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cancelled it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 10:11 am

I thought Flea was a pretty talented bassist, but they never really appealed to me either. "Higher Ground" was a fun cover, but I never felt a need to hear anything more from them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:55 am

The guy at the next desk has been listening to the local rock radio station all morning and I'm hearing my fourth RHCP song of the day already. Arrrrgh! Now I remember why I lost interest in these guys after MOTHER'S MILK... they became very ANNNNNNOOOOYYYYYINGGGGGG!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:30 pm

Radio sucks it hard. A while back my CD player in my truck crapped out on me. I didn't have the cash to replace it, so I was stuck with the radio. So annoying! There would literally be times where the same exact song was playing on three different channels! I kid you not. It disgusted me.

I rode around in silence most of the time. Radio is horrible.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 pm

I was more into Faith no More than the Chili Peppers.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm

If you want funk metal check out Mordred.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?   red hot chili peppers ever funk metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

red hot chili peppers ever funk metal?
Page 1 of 1