Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Locky's next get poor quick scheme

Go down 
+12
kmorg
Eyesore
Olafsto
Rex
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
James B.
Stender
Temple of Blood
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
exact33
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Locky's next get poor quick scheme Empty
PostSubject: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 pm

this seem the only place suitable for this as it's Music (Metal) related.

Right so I've come up with another plan to help me loose money at an alarming rate and I though I'd share it with my nearest and dearest, but then I decided to place it here. Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_lol

I got fairly cheesed off the other night looking through Terrorizer mag (my own fault for looking at it) but it dawned on me that out of the 96 pages there was 34 pages of adds (yes they aim for revenue) bloody posters (double sided = 4 pages) and a load of worthless live reviews and news at the begining (7 more pages), in total nearly 50% (45 pages) and that aint taking into account the few interviews that they do have within the covers usually incur a half / three quarter of said page filled up with a photo of the band / person, so for €6 or nearly $9 it seems to be well worth my hard earned cash.

So what's the outcome, well I've been thinking about doing a Mag of my own, but something small (quanities I mean, maybe 1-200 starting off to see if they could sell) but straight to the point, include Interviews, Album / DVD Reviews, etc.... there was a couple of other areas that I though may be cool of done correctly.

Here's what I've come up with :

approx 100 pages, pro printed.
Black & White, at least starting off to see if it was managable, I'm not trying to compete with shop Mags, esp. with the quanity I'd have. sell them as cheap as possible, and this wouldn't be a money maker, if you could carry on and publish it every month or so then that's all I'd want.

So what does anyone think ? madness, the sound of the ravings of a soon to be committed lunatic dweller ???
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 pm

interesting idea. It sure might be a get poor quick scheme... If you needed reviews I have been looking for a venue to do some again.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Personally, I think the print medium (mags and newspapers) is a dying format. With the internet, even breaking news stories are a day late in newspapers. For a music mag, even with a bare bones quick turn-around format, the info is gonna be outdated. How many music mags went under in the last few years?

It might make for a neat collectible for older metal fans, to remember the good old days of Circus & RIP. This is the same demographic that still buys physical cds, but the younger audience isn't interested in reading newspapers, magazines or fan-zines. They want the instant gratification that only Twitter, Facebook and teh inter-webs can provide.

Just one ass-hat's opinion though. I've been wrong plenty of times. Just ask my wife.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 11:32 pm

ok here's my plan:

- take the money and figure out some way to America or Canada, where we aren't really used to the Irish
- rob a bank after throwing them off and gaining trust with the amazing accent that stupid women will want to hear over and over
- take the money and buy a weapon or three, enough to properly threaten life
- find one of the last immortals on Earth (http://www.secrets-of-an-immortal.com/ ) by assaulting the author into a phase of freeflowing information
- obtain the wisdom of time travel from said immortal (one of those things that's obvious knowledge after some point if one is a lifer) and use it and the remaining fortune to build a time machine
- use time machine to return to 1870 and destroy William Fox Talbot in order to secure all knowhow and eventual rights to halftone color printing schemes
- use time machine to then go back forwards and attend Black Friday sales at the local office supply store dating from the start of the latest worldwide recession

with the power of color printing and the ease of handy sales items, your magazine will be unstoppable

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 am

Why not try a blog or a website every month or so and see how you like it?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:34 am

I would buy your magazine Locky, I think you should go with it man, if you need someone to write reviews I would love to help. I'm probably not the best, but I have been trying to get into reviewing ever since I graduated.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 am

If you are gonna succeed at ANYTHING, it must be done for yourself and not for others. There seems to be something planted, let it grow. Then you won't regret later on down the road not doing it.

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:06 am

James B. wrote:
If you are gonna succeed at ANYTHING, it must be done for yourself and not for others. There seems to be something planted, let it grow. Then you won't regret later on down the road not doing it.

true, when you look at Ult's or Kmorg's sites, they are done for their love of the music not mine or yours, and like I said it would be of small quanities so I'd hope that it could be acheived. I personally am not a fan of this webzine route, there are many people at this with a far better grasp of the skill of writing, Snoop Dong is good at writing and has his reviews online along with so many other.

I might do one if I get the help (as to be honest I wouldn't know much about this) and maybe use the Irish Metal fans (all 8 of them) as guinea pigs. And although I don't wish to use the web for a zine, it does have it uses these days as half decent bands are more contactable and maybe willing to participate in this.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree with this. I don't think people read magazines anymore, except for Fat Freddy. But he would want a free copy anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:21 am

I still like print zines. The print media in the underground is sorely missed.

The problem is, with the instant gratification of the internet, twitter, MySpace, discussion boards, etc., it's so much easier to get news, reviews, etc. on-line that people aren't buying magazines any longer. Sad but true.

However, there is still obviously a market for it in the underground. Untombed is a new, photocopied fanzine now in it's third issue and seems to be doing well.

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I agree with this. I don't think people read magazines anymore, except for Fat Freddy. But he would want a free copy anyway. Smile

Fredrico is a chancer alright,

shag the webzines, I'm fed up dragging the laptop to the toilet with me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 am

SpectreFate wrote:

I agree with this. I don't think people read magazines anymore, except for Fat Freddy. But he would want a free copy anyway. Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_smile

I should probably get offended by this comment, but I can't because it's true. Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:52 am

I think doing a website or blog would be a better choice and you wouldn't go nearly as broke. When UNRESTRAINED magazine ended, I had done 4 issues, and only got paid for 2 of them. Unrestrained was the second biggest metal mag out of Canada and it obviously didn't have the funds to pay for itself. You'd have to take into consideration all the cash that it would take to have this done......design, print, mailing, marketing, etc.....a friggin lot goes into making a magazine.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:35 am

Go for it Locky!
I still buy and read Magazines, and would buy yours to.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:48 am

Print mags aren't so much a source for reviews and news any longer as much as a source for good feature articles on artists. The mags I get I don't even bother with news/reviews and skip straight to the interviews, articles, editorials...the stuff you can't just punch up on a website...

They have interviews online too...but many of them lack any real substance...it's all the same 7 or 8 questions...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 am

You know my thoughts. I don't think it's a wise plan. A blog is much wiser. However, like I said, if you do a magazine, print-on-demand publishing is the way to go. There is no upfront investment to have it printed, but you do have to pay someone to do the layout. If the layout is simple, like Shock Totem, it's much easier. If it's a standard magazine layout, that's a lot of work—essentially a different design for each page—and much more costly.

And the sad reality is, you'll likely not sell a lot of copies. With the Internet, nothing is truly exclusive anymore. You may ask interesting questions in interviews, but are they interesting enough to make people buy the magazine? Editorials can be exclusive, but again...will it sell a magazine?

Go the blog route. Join us at Getcha Rocks Off. Joooooooooin us!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Seems like the continents are divided in this. Of course you should do the mag! Screw the bloggers, leave that crap to the Paris Hilton droolers!

I still buy, read and subscribe to at least 3 different monthly printed Magazines. And I buy even more, if they have something that interests me on the cover.

Sure, news will not be the thing to fill the magazines with. But good articles and interviews are always a good read, imo.

If there is anyway I can help, let me know.

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Why don't you start sending me your money every month. You'll still get poor and think of how gratifying it will be for you. I'll even get a tatoo of your face on my butt or something.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:20 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Why don't you start sending me your money every month. You'll still get poor and think of how gratifying it will be for you. I'll even get a tatoo of your face on my butt or something.

Locky's next get poor quick scheme Affraid
The ultimate homoerotic nightmare, Locky`s ugly mug on your ugly butt!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:23 pm

You know you want pics.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:28 pm

wow....just....wow Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 12:49 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

no way I will ever review that!!!

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 pm

exact33 wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

no way I will ever review that!!!

Don't lie, you are a wh*re for reviews

Everyone does make valid points (apart from Nazgul's ass tattoo),

News is crap because by the time I'd receive the mags from the printers the news is outdated, unless it's simple stuff like underground news that wouldn't make blabbermouth and them places,

Live reviews are out, who wants to read about a gig you weren't at ?

And with Large Fredrico's reviews on board this is a seller Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_lol

I know people are saying this could be hard to sell, maybe so but I'm not talking big numbers, a couple of hundred at most. But I believe that if you can have good solid interviews with bands (not Slayer and likes) from the underground and maybe some a little more established.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Stender wrote:
I would buy your magazine Locky, I think you should go with it man, if you need someone to write reviews I would love to help. I'm probably not the best, but I have been trying to get into reviewing ever since I graduated.

oh listen to this.. coming from a guy that can't even put a mix cd togther. I wouldnt trust him if my life depended on it Locky's next get poor quick scheme Lol Locky's next get poor quick scheme 84826 Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_razz

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 pm

BTW id only buy the mag if Phoenix Reign was in every issue Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_lol

Seriously though Mags were cool. I always liked when I would buy something on ebay or something and from time to time that person would have their own magazine that they circulate and i really liked them. So what if they are out dated Its still an interesting read.

PostSubject: Re: Locky's next get poor quick scheme   Locky's next get poor quick scheme Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locky's next get poor quick scheme
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next