Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Mission

Go down 
+7
mez
A Handful of Wayne
Metallic Blaze
SAHB Healer
jstate
Stender
Orion Crystal Ice
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Been on a big kick lately, if the name doesn't sound familiar, it's the band who did 'Tower of Strength' and 'Wasteland':

an easy target if one wanted to say 'pompous', 'poppy', etc..a very radio friendly band in many ways, to be sure, but when it's done right I can get way into it, and the Mission has tons of great songs with wonderful diversity. Think of something like old U2 (ugh..even though old is the least worst) mixed with Zep (ugh) and you're on the right track....yes, I realize that being said, it's ironic that I love them so much..

Check out:

Deliverance
Into The Blue
Beyond The Pale
The Dance Goes On
Love Me To Death
Garden of Delight
Black Mountain Mist
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 pm

whoa, your back! Havent seen you around in like 2 years.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Carved In Sand is such a killer album. Four years later and that would've been huge. A while back I found a dvd boxset of theirs. I'm not a big music dvd person, but this one was great. The thing that made it awesome was the pompousity of it all. If you're going to put out a dvd may as well act like you are the greatest band in the world. Amazing songs too.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 4:13 pm

I guess they were considered a Goth band because of Sisters of Mercy connections, but they were really more poppy and accessible than most of the classic Goth bands. Not really very gothic IMO. Carved in Sand is indeed a classic.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 am

I'm a huge Sisters of Mercy fan, but have not gotten into The Mission ... yet. I probably will one day though.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I guess I will resurrect this 2 year old thread. A few weeks ago I was looking up stuff about the 69 eyes. I came across something someone said about them sounding a lot like The Sisters Of Mercy, so I checked them out and to my surprise they did. Then I came on here to see if anyone has listened to either band and to my surprise there was a Sisters Of Mercy thread. Then someone mentioned The Mission the band Wayne Hussey formed after he left Sisters Of Mercy. I checked out some of their songs online and holy crap they were awesome! As usual when I like something I try to get their cds asap and I was able to snatch up their whole studio discography on amazon for pretty cheap haha.

I guess people associate them with Goth because of Husseys past with Dead Or Alive and Sisters Of Mercy. I don't really find them to be Goth at all. Maybe a few songs here or there but not full on Goth. I'm really surprised they didn't become a bigger band and cross over more into the states. Carved in Sand...... HOLY CRAP! What an album! Another album I listened to today was God Is A Bullet, Friggin' awesome!

I guess they have finally disbanded for good now, from what I read, besides some 25th anniversary show. Its a shame, because they seem to have kept getting better and better. I guess if your going to end it though God Is A Bullet is a really great album to end on.

Heres some great songs I have heard in the last couple of days going through their albums.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 9:15 am

Going through some old clothing the other day I actually found an old Mission UK shirt I had gotten back in the 80's. Never saw them live but somewhere along the way must've ordered a shirt. I loved Carved In Sand that much. If I can get out the slight discoloring I'm going to put it in the shirt rotation for wear.

Get the Lighting The Candles DVD!
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 9:22 am

Got all their albums, loved them! To me, they were along the lines of The Cure and that sound, esp Caved in Sand. Carved may be the best album they ever released, but I truly like em all.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 10:11 am

They're goth in the classic '80s sense of it, like The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Of course, none of were quite took the goth thing as far as the Sisters and I definitely agree with the notion that the Mission are a bit on the poppier side. They're a great band though and a fairly recent discovery for me. Will hopefully go catch them do their anniversary show in November (I think), with Fields of the Nephilim supporting.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:08 am

I was hoping this was going to be a Queensrÿche thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:27 am

I never could get into The Mission but I love Sisters.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Resurrecting this thread because I saw Wayne Hussey perform last night. He released a solo album recently and he's been doing one-man shows in support of that. It's mostly acoustic guitar or keyboard, but there are a few songs one which he plays an electric guitar with a backing track.

Naturally, he played songs from his new album and a few covers were thrown in as well, but the bulk of the setlist was songs by The Mission. I suppose it's testament to the strength of the songwriting that something like Wasteland can still work acoustically, and Like A Child Again actually sounds pretty good on a ukelele!

The closing song was Butterfly On A Wheel, which was done as a duet with Ashton Nyte of the Awakening, who was the support act (I think the video below is actually last night's performance). So all in all, a pretty cool show.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Mission Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mission   The Mission Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mission
Page 1 of 1