Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

U2

Go down 
+14
MetalH
Svengo
Schbopo
iamrockerfun
Neuropete
ghost
stepcousin
tohostudios
thejokeriv
jstate
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
Metallic Blaze
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm

I forgot to add One Tree Hill to my list from the Joshua Tree.....
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Quote :
"spoilled rock star" - that whole 'phase' (from Achtung Baby to POP) was completely satiracal.

Oh, I know...it was a caricature.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:39 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I think Pop is a good album..."Staring At The Sun" is one of the best songs the band has ever done...

I'm a massive U2 fan, with their entire discography, and whilst Pop is a good album, it just doesn't hold together for me. I can't work it out -there are some GREAT singles on there, like Staring at the Sun, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, but as a whole it just doesn't grab me.

As for their spirituality, they bring me closer to worshiping God than many of my Christian albums. My favourite albums are The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can't Leave Behind. I like the fact that the new one was more experimental and atmospheric -it keeps people guessing, rather than doing the same old thing album after album.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 11:29 am

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and "No Line on the Horizon". I still like them both, but along with "Pop", Id say they are their weakest moments.

I absolutely love "All that You Can't Leave Behind" though. That album is one of their best.

But again, I like every U2 album - to some degree or another.
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 8:41 am

Horizon and POP had some really great songs, but the albums were not worth the sum of their parts......

Heres hoping "Songs of Ascent" will be better....
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 11:30 am

When is "Songs of Ascent" coming out? I had no idea they were already working on a new one.
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Nothing definite yet, but there is already press releases saying that Bono wants another one out quickly and that he and Edge spent two weeks in France writing for it - not to mention all the unfinished stuff they have laying around after the 2 years in the studio it took to make No Line.....
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Im not a big fan of this group but I do respect their accomplishments and they do have songs I really like though my favorite is from the 1980-1990 Best of on that 2nd disk with the B-sides the song is called "Dancing Barefoot" I LOVE that song

U2 is a band i want to be more into but for some reason just cant but im not giving up Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 am

guenther wrote:
Horizon and POP had some really great songs, but the albums were not worth the sum of their parts......

I don't agree with that at all...especially w/ Horizon...that's a really good album.

Pop, I think, is misunderstood. Bono took his satire and sarcasm to new heights on that album and tour. And, while I like some songs more than others on that album, I don't think any of the songs are bad.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 am

I am a fan of all their discography, and have really enjoyed every release. I don't think they have a weak album, but if I was forced to chose one, I would say Pop. I still like the album, don't get me wrong. But, with some many other classics, I would say that is the one I listen to least.
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 pm

I love them all, but for me, October is a clunker......
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
guenther wrote:

I don't agree with that at all...especially w/ Horizon...that's a really good album.

Pop, I think, is misunderstood. Bono took his satire and sarcasm to new heights on that album and tour. And, while I like some songs more than others on that album, I don't think any of the songs are bad.

They both are great albums, POP is one of my favorites, but reat songs dont always make a great album.....only time will tell how well Horizon stacks up against the rest of their work....
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 pm

guenther wrote:

Next to Pop, that one is probably be next on my list down. There are sometimes, though, when I'll go in a "Boy/October/War" kick, and really get into that era.

You know, Zooropa also gets panned by alot of folks, but I really love that album. As I mentioned beforfe, I remember getting it the day it was released, like at midnight. All my friends had a copy of it in their cars that summer, and I just really became familiarized with all the tunes on that one.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Neuropete wrote:
guenther wrote:

Next to Pop, that one is probably be next on my list down. There are sometimes, though, when I'll go in a "Boy/October/War" kick, and really get into that era.

You know, Zooropa also gets panned by alot of folks, but I really love that album. As I mentioned beforfe, I remember getting it the day it was released, like at midnight. All my friends had a copy of it in their cars that summer, and I just really became familiarized with all the tunes on that one.

I agree on both counts.

"October" and "Boy" would be next for me as their worst albums too. Though they are both good albums. When it comes to their early period, "War" and "The Unforgettable Fire" are my faves. It's like with those albums they perfected who they were and what they were about in those early years. Then they moved on to the masterpiece of "The Joshua Tree". And then succeeded to kick such major ass through the next 10 years.

I totally agree also that "Zooropa" is a great album! I never could understand why people knocked that album. It's a masterpiece! Such brilliant use of electronic music on that one.

I'd rank the U2 discography like this:

1. Achtung Baby (TOTAL MASTERPIECE!!!) 10/10
2. The Joshua Tree (another masterpiece) 10/10
3. Zooropa (brilliant!) 9.5/10
4. All that You Can't Leave Behind 9/10
5. War 8.5/10
6. The Unforgettable Fire 8.5/10
7. Hot to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb 8/10
8. No Line on the Horizon 8/10
9. Pop 7.5/10
10. Boy 7.5/10
11. October 7.5/10
12. Rattle and Hum 7/10
Back to top Go down
Hate Forest
Metal novice
Metal novice
Hate Forest

Number of posts : 36

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:17 am

U2 is one of the few bands I really like but can only take in moderation. I don't know why but I can't listen to them consistantly or I'll go nuts and get really sick of them fast. There are a lot of bands I listen to daily and don't ever get tired of them but, for some reason, U2 is not one of those bands, even though I <3 Bono.

Achtung Baby is my favourite album.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 am

Metallic Blaze, I your list is similar to mine, with some exceptions here and there. I do rank Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as my two favorites... masterpieces both.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Neuropete wrote:
Metallic Blaze, I your list is similar to mine, with some exceptions here and there. I do rank Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as my two favorites... masterpieces both.

Cool! U2 - Page 2 11840
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:57 am

I remember when Achtung Baby came out, a LOT of established U2 fans hated it. Of course, they gained a whole other wave of fans at the same time, but many, many established U2 fans were reacting to Achtung Baby the same way a lot of you guys are reacting to No Line On The Horizon...which only strengthens my opinion that time will prove beneficial to No Line On The Horizon and it will one day be regarded as a classic U2 album...
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:26 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I remember when Achtung Baby came out, a LOT of established U2 fans hated it. Of course, they gained a whole other wave of fans at the same time, but many, many established U2 fans were reacting to Achtung Baby the same way a lot of you guys are reacting to No Line On The Horizon...which only strengthens my opinion that time will prove beneficial to No Line On The Horizon and it will one day be regarded as a classic U2 album...

No surprise there - all U2 albums get regarded as 'classic U2' eventually......

While Achtung was immediatley disliked by alot of their established fans at the time, the tour won a great many of them back, something that really hasnt happened with No Line yet......I blame the lack of Bullet The Blue Sky on this tour.....
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:44 am

I saw them on that tour, and it was awesome. I saw on the 10th row on the floor, right next to the catwalk. I remember the Sugar Cubes and Public Enemy opened up for them. My friends were Public Enemy fans, but I was not really into rap. Seeing them live, though, changed my mind. I am still not a fan of most hip-hop, but I do love Public Enemy.
That is still one of my favorite and memorable concerts of all time...that and the time I went to see Paul McCartney with my Dad!
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm

guenther wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

No surprise there - all U2 albums get regarded as 'classic U2' eventually......

While Achtung was immediatley disliked by alot of their established fans at the time, the tour won a great many of them back, something that really hasnt happened with No Line yet......I blame the lack of Bullet The Blue Sky on this tour.....

Well, in the band's defense, the tour was a couple dozen shows (if that many) in the USA so far because of it being a stadium tour...and the reaction to the new songs there was amazing...people all around me (including me) were singing along to all the new stuff.

Had the band done a 3 month indoor arena tour, I think more fans in more parts of the country would have had the opportunity to see the tour.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Shawn how would you rank the U2 discography?
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 5:34 pm

[quote="Shawn Of Fire]
Had the band done a 3 month indoor arena tour, I think more fans in more parts of the country would have had the opportunity to see the tour.[/quote]

I totally agree - either arena tour or multiple nights at the stadiums.....
Back to top Go down

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Shawn how would you rank the U2 discography?

That might take a bit...give me a day or two...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

U2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

U2
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: