Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halloween Eve

Go down 
+5
exact33
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What do you call the night before Halloween?
Mischief Night
Halloween Eve Vote_lcap33%Halloween Eve Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Goosey Night
Halloween Eve Vote_lcap0%Halloween Eve Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Cabbage Night
Halloween Eve Vote_lcap11%Halloween Eve Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Devil's Night
Halloween Eve Vote_lcap0%Halloween Eve Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other (please specify)
Halloween Eve Vote_lcap56%Halloween Eve Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:44 am

Idle curiosity on my part. Traditionally, the night before Halloween is when the local punks run around their neighborhoods hanging toilet paper on trees, throwing eggs, causing random acts of vandalism, yadda yadda yadda. Never partook in these activities myself (my parents woulda kicked my ass if I got arrested for such nonsense when I was a kid) but this holiday-before-the-holiday is known by numerous names depending on what part of the country you're in. For some reason here in Northern New Jersey it's always been called "Cabbage Night" (which I have never understood, since as far as I know there is no connection whatsoever with cabbages) but it's also known as "Devil's Night," "Goosey Night," "Mischief Night," and probably a few other names for all I know.

So what do you call it?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:46 am

Friday.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:47 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Friday.

Laughing very hard You're no help. Anybody else?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

eh,The night before Halloween
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

We've always called it Mischief Night 'round these parts. I did my share of mischeivin' in my youth, but I think the whole tradition has sorta died. I haven't seen any soaped up car windows or TP'ed houses in years.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. If I come out tomorrow with toilet paper streaming down my house, I'm blaming you, Freddy. Halloween Eve 308838

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
We've always called it Mischief Night 'round these parts. I did my share of mischeivin' in my youth, but I think the whole tradition has sorta died. I haven't seen any soaped up car windows or TP'ed houses in years.

Fortunately my house is on a private road and I'm the only house on it. I see TP on trees around the neighborhood on Halloween morning but have never been "hit" ... probably cuz the kids aren't gonna come humping up the hill to "prank" one house.

Still, I keep a bucket of water with some goodies from the cat-box mixed into it on my front porch every year just in case. Anybody who feels lucky enough to give it a try is gonna go home wet and extremely stinky. Laughing

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:57 am

Mischief Night is what we've always called it. But much like MG said, I havent seen much of it in years, maybe the occasional soaped window, or an egged house. But I havent seen anyone ballsy enough to stick an M-80 in a mailbox since I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 10:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Fortunately my house is on a private road and I'm the only house on it. I see TP on trees around the neighborhood on Halloween morning but have never been "hit" ... probably cuz the kids aren't gonna come humping up the hill to "prank" one house.

Still, I keep a bucket of water with some goodies from the cat-box mixed into it on my front porch every year just in case. Anybody who feels lucky enough to give it a try is gonna go home wet and extremely stinky. Halloween Eve Icon_lol

Not to mention the private army of bears that patrol your compound. Halloween Eve Icon_biggrin

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Not to mention the private army of bears that patrol your compound. Halloween Eve Icon_biggrin

Laughing very hard Now that you mention it, last year on Cabbage Night, I saw a bear while I was out walking my dog. Fortunately he didn't see us so we just kept on walkin'. A little farther down the road I passed a couple of kids (armed with TP and eggs) and alerted'em to the bear's presence a few houses down... I shined my flashlight on it so they could see him and they were like "WOW! That's a big sumb*tch! OK, thanks man." I was like "You're gonna leave my house alone now, right?" Haha.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Mischief Night.

Its basically young kids trying to get all the old people worked up by ringing their doorbells and running away...

How pathetic kids are nowadays. WE used to do a lot better stuff that shall not be mentioned here..

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25855

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
eh,The night before Halloween

Halloween Eve Lol This is what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 4:37 am

Corn Night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:29 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Friday.

That was exactly what I was gonna post.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:13 am

Huh....I've never called it anything. Didn't know people did. Seeing as Halloween is and Eve itself, seems weird that it would have an Eve. (I mean, every day technicallly has and "eve", but I think you understand). Fascinating.

Quote :
Corn Night.

Please explain.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Huh....I've never called it anything. Didn't know people did. Seeing as Halloween is and Eve itself, seems weird that it would have an Eve. (I mean, every day technicallly has and "eve", but I think you understand). Fascinating.

Quote :
Corn Night.

Please explain.

We call it mischief night as traditionally kids went around decorating trees with toilet paper, throwing eggs and the like. It is normally directed at those homeowners who are, shall we say, pains in the rear end..

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:32 am

Leatherface wrote:
Corn Night.

That's a new one on me.

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 am

Oh, it just reminded me of something we did as kids. It needs prefacing....

There's a trailer park sub culture. I grew up in a rural trailer park which is a sub-sub culture.

During the harvest season in the mid-West most of the corn growing is hog corn. We had some corn fields adjecent to our trailer park. We'd go and pick some, shuck the hardened corn, put in a bags or pockets and wait for deep night.

We go out and after people were asleep we'd walk up and down the trailer park throwing handfuls of this hog corn kernels on the roof/sides of trailers. Anyone who's ever lived in a trailer knows what it sounds like raining. Magnify this x10 for the corn. It would scare people to death. Great fun!

This is how we passed harvest evenings in the T.P. baby!!

We called it corning.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 3:53 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Oh, it just reminded me of something we did as kids. It needs prefacing....

There's a trailer park sub culture. I grew up in a rural trailer park which is a sub-sub culture.

During the harvest season in the mid-West most of the corn growing is hog corn. We had some corn fields adjecent to our trailer park. We'd go and pick some, shuck the hardened corn, put in a bags or pockets and wait for deep night.

We go out and after people were asleep we'd walk up and down the trailer park throwing handfuls of this hog corn kernels on the roof/sides of trailers. Anyone who's ever lived in a trailer knows what it sounds like raining. Magnify this x10 for the corn. It would scare people to death. Great fun!

This is how we passed harvest evenings in the T.P. baby!!

We called it corning.

interesting. I never knew that..

Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Leatherface wrote:
Corn Night.

That's a new one on me.

I knew that one was going to through some people for a loop. From what I understand, on this night people would pull pranks like throughing eggs at peoples houses and cars. They would also through kernels of corn as well. It's a pretty lame name. Please remember, I didn't come up with it.Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 am

Quote :
They would also through kernels of corn as well.

I remember doing that as a kid. Throwing handfuls of un-popped popcorn kernels at the door, then running away. Not really sure what the point was, but it seemed like fun when you're 10.

scottmitchell74

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 am

So I wasn't the only one corning! Halloween Eve Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:14 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

No, just the only one corn holing. Watch out for the garage guys. You never know what he means by man cave.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:14 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

You're confusing "corning" with "corn-holeing". Halloween Eve Icon_biggrin

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 am

DAMMIT DC! You stole my joke!!! Halloween Eve 308838 Ya corn-holer!!

DeathCult

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
DAMMIT DC! You stole my joke!!! Halloween Eve 308838 Ya corn-holer!!

PRE-MENSTRUAL PRINCESS BLUES!!!! Halloween Eve 19976 Ya whiner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halloween Eve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween Eve   Halloween Eve Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halloween Eve
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next