Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)

Go down 
+5
nevermore
kmorg
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Olafsto
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Empty
PostSubject: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Ok folks.
I may have said this before, but I`ve never been afraid of repeating myself, so here goes.
I come from a small town called Mandal in Norway. In fact it is so small that most of you will proparbly call it a Village or a Bus stop MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_smile . (ca 12000 people in the whole County)
But despite beeing small we have a music scene I am very proud of.
Ever since I was young in the 80`s the local music scene has been very good IMHO.
None of the bands have made it really BIG, but still...
So I got the idea that it would be cool to present some of these more or less unknown bands to the good people of HOM.
I`ll start now, and present a new one when I get inspired again.
Please let me know what you think of them, good or bad.
I`ll start with a band I grew up with, these guys are around my age and some of them still good buddies of mine.
When they finally got a record deal it was 1994 and metal was eaten by the grunge, so the album got little attention. Their style was Progressive technical Metal.
Some are still in the music business, and Øyvind (vocals) has made it fairly well (Spiral Architect, Scariot)
The band is:
MANITOU

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Manitoubrukt
JAN:GIT - ØYVIND:VOC - BOLLIE:GIT - PB:DR - TOM:BAZ

Some words about the band from drummer Per:

I began to play drumz by the age of 11, directly caused by Peter Crizz. I waz makin tunes from the very start of Manitou together with the guitarist Jan Schulze (mars 85). At first the name was Slømp, then it became The Power-slaves. The name Manitou came about 86 and was taken from the Venom single, a band we really where inspired by at the time besides from Slayer, Exodus Mercyful Fate, Destruction and so on. Later, about 87 we got a new voxman Øyvind Hægeland. I had been playin drumz and singin togeter and was really happy with the new situasjon. This was the time that we got introduzed (by the new voxman) to Fates Warning wich sat the standard for our interest in makin muzick for a long time. From 85 until 95 Manitou was the main band for me, makin a demo-casette in 91 and the record Entrance in 94 we really established some-thing to the progmetal scene in Norway. I met Lars Lønning first time in 90, who introduced me to Nirvana, and some other sub pop albums of the time.I was immediately interested in the type of music and we where forming tree bands. I was takin on other instruments from bass in ”kul ful driv jøn”,with Runar Magnusson from Island yelling Norwegin lyrix, and guitar and vox in the band Nøyleknebe, and also playing drums with Ø.H. and Tom from Manitou in a band called Slem Mulkt.

Their only album Entrance:
MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Manito10

Song from Entrance:

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 1:41 pm

I had that album years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Yes, he is a good singer and was a good fit in SPIRAL ARCHITECT.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Very cool stuff.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 2:11 pm

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) 775710

I recently got this CD after searching for it for years! Got it in a trade with Navohundserooosfsfdk (:lol) on this board!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, and thanks to whoever it was that fixed my poor copying and pasting MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_smile .
I`m surprised somone has even heard of them, this board has a lot of Metal knowledge!
I could have helped you with that search kmorg. It`s actually still available new:
MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Lol
http://www.mtg.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=8140

There are also samples of the whole album here for those interested.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Sounds good!!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Ok - stupid question time - so this release is from a different band than what released Deadlock, mad moon rising and no signs of wisdom?

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Cool thread idea.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 pm

exact33 wrote:
Ok - stupid question time - so this release is from a different band than what released Deadlock, mad moon rising and no signs of wisdom?

Yes, this Manitou was formed in 1985 and split up in 95. They only released this one album.
The Finnish Manitou you are talking about was formed in 1998 and are still active i think.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Cool thread idea.

Thanks Scott MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_biggrin .
I have more bands coming..
Maybe others can jump in and present their local bands/artists too.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:26 pm

I was thinking of the Finnish Manitou as well.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Olafsto wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Yes, this Manitou was formed in 1985 and split up in 95. They only released this one album.
The Finnish Manitou you are talking about was formed in 1998 and are still active i think.

thanks! Knowing is half the battle!

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Olafsto wrote:
Thanks for your comments guys, and thanks to whoever it was that fixed my poor copying and pasting MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_smile .
I`m surprised somone has even heard of them, this board has a lot of Metal knowledge!
I could have helped you with that search kmorg. It`s actually still available new:
MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Lol
http://www.mtg.musiconline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=8140

There are also samples of the whole album here for those interested.

Typical! Oh well, I didn't pay so much more for it Very Happy

Metal student
Metal student
Navouhodonosor

Number of posts : 130

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 9:09 pm

kmorg wrote:
MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) 775710

I recently got this CD after searching for it for years! Got it in a trade with Navohundserooosfsfdk (:lol) on this board!

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) 395375
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)   MANITOU (Mandal, Norway) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MANITOU (Mandal, Norway)
Page 1 of 1