Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Manny's Top Ten Live albums

Go down 
+6
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Schbopo
MetalRob331
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Empty
PostSubject: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:03 pm

I am listing my personal top 10 live albums of all time, disagreements,
your own personal top ten lists, comments are all welcome. No real surprises as far as my choices, but hell it is my list.

Manny's Top Ten Live albums If-you-want-blood-youve-got-it-digitally-remastered

My favorite live album of all time, Bon's charisma practically jumps out at the speaker at you, while the rest of the band play tighter than a fish's bunhole. This live album captures a young band hungry and on the verge of international success.

2)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Album-Deep-Purple-Made-In-Japan

In the mid 70's, punks and self subscribed rock critics claimed that rock and in particular heavy metal was too self indulgent. This album proves them right with songs at 20 minutes a clip, Blackmore and Lord battle it out for the spotlight in the classic Mark II line up. Ian Gillan giving no quarter lays down some of the best performances of his career. Self indulgent Deep Purple may have been but never dull.

3)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 0000013823_350

This album was released to get Jimi Hendrix out of some legal dispute he had found himself in due to signing some bad contracts before he went to England and became a superstar. Hendrix recruited his army buddy Billy Cox on bass and friend Buddy Miles on drums, or as he called him the cement mixer. Recorded on New Year's Eve 1969, Hendrix explores his r & b roots with the Curtis Mayfield inspired 'Power of Soul' and 'Who Knows'. Hendrix was also looking forward with compositions such as 'Machine Gun' a nine minute epic that serves his Vietnam protest.

4)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 5%20ufo%20strangers

One of the best live albums of the 70's, Micheal Schenker's swan song with the band showcases the band in their natural element live. Like 99% of all the bands we all speak about, UFO was a live band first and foremost. Phil Mogg's great vocals and Schenker's soaring leads make this a must have for any fan of British metal.

5)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 8925

Thin Lizzy what a great band and this album showcases what a great kick ass live band they were. Phil Lynott's poetry comes to life on this live set, showcasing one of rock's greatest songwriters along with the classic guitar duo of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. The very underrated Brian Downey holds the fort down. A live album that also serves as a great introduction to the songbook of the great Irish poet Phil Lynott.

6)
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Kiss_alive_album_cover

It seems fitting that the band who broke all the rules would break big with a live album. Capturing the raw energy of the classic early KISS line up, this album also kick off the late 70's era of the live album. Ace rules, 'nuff said.

7)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Judas_priest-unleashed_in_the_east%28nosticker%29

The Metal Gods showed a generation how to be hell bent for leather and this live album showcases some excellent tunes that at the time of this release had not been given their proper due. Judas Priest where about to explode as an international act, and this album paved the way.

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_cool

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Ted+Nugent+-+1978+-+Double+Live+Gonzo+%21

I hate Ted Nugent's far right wing politics and I hate even more that some fans hold his politics beliefs against him and fail to give him credit for being an incredible guitarist. This live set showcases Nugent in his natural setting, playing his Byrd Land Hollow Body, Nugent blows the balls of rhinos at 60 paces, out punks the punks and delivers the most politically incorrect stage musings ever. One of his best albums and proves to critics who may forget that Nugent does his best talking with his guitar.

9)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums MUDD47

The Who were first and foremost a live band. This album plays up to the Who's strengths, the Who sounding heavier and loudier than their studio albums. Keith Moon's drumming is incredible and even more incredible that the rest of the band where able to keep time with a drummer this unorthodox. If you only desire to buy one Who album, make it this one.

10)

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 0000419877_350

Michael Schenker himself acknowledged that this album's guitar parts are for the most part over dubbed and he even brought in Derek St. Holmes to overdub some backround vocals and play rhythm guitar. Who cares, this album should not be considered a true live album but the energy on this album is undeniable. Schenker plays like a man possessed and his guitar solos are both lyrical and heart felt. One of my favorite guitarist.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Some good albums here Manny, I just never pay attention to live albums. I just cant get into them because the sound doesnt compare to a well polished studio album.

Never was a big fan of live albums, although I wouldn't mnd seeing the bands live.

My top 10 in a few...In no specific order other then Alive in Athens being my fav...

Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (Blows my mind everytime I hear it)
Machine Head - HellAlive (Pure aggression and great quality)
Evergrey - A Night to Remember (Tom sounds amazing here and they play tight together)
Iron Maiden - Live After Death (No need to say anything here)
Dream Theater - Once in a Livetime (What can I say the best musicians in the world playing together and sounding amazing)
Pantera - 101 Proof (Dimebag plays possessed here)
Therion - Live Gothic (I would love to see these guys live)
Pink Floyd - Pulse (What a sound for being live)
SRV - Live at Carnegie Hall (SRV chops live are just as amazing as when recorded)
Elvis Presley - Live in Las Vegas (Amazing stage presence, Elvis is amazing)
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Agree with all of those! A fine selection! Manny's Top Ten Live albums Headbang

Mine;
BB King-Live in Cook County Jail
Ted Nugent-Double Live Gonzo
Cheap Trick-Live at Budokan
AC/DC-If You Want Blood
Primus-Hallucino Genetics
Styx-Return to Paradise
UFO-Strangers in the Night
Blue Oyster Cult-Extraterrestrial Live
Kansas-Two for the Show
Humble Pie-Rockin' the Fillmore
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:02 pm

I never have been big on live albums, for the same reasons mentioned by MetalRob.

Although, it's interesting. This past year I've gotten more into live albums than I ever have in the past.

So I might be moving in this direction more. Not sure.

Out of live albums that I have, my faves would be (INPO):

Depeche Mode - 101
The Cure - Paris
The Cure - Show
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Iron Maiden - A Real Live One
Petra - Captured in Time and Space
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Alot of guys on this board are not into live albums which really surprises me, I guess it is because I am such a huge fan of live recordings
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm

manny wrote:
Alot of guys on this board are not into live albums which really surprises me, I guess it is because I am such a huge fan of live recordings

I love playing live its just the sound isnt comparable. There are a lot of elements on a studio album that most bands dont do in there shows as well. Also most vocalists cant touch the emotion they put onto an album.

Those I mentioned though are exceptions of course...
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:56 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

I love playing live its just the sound isnt comparable. There are a lot of elements on a studio album that most bands dont do in there shows as well. Also most vocalists cant touch the emotion they put onto an album.

True, and I often prefer the studio counterparts too, but nothing beats the raw energy of a good live album!
Manny's Top Ten Live albums 918552
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:

You are not the only one who feels that way, I think when it comes to live albums alot of board members would I agree with your assessment of live albums vs studio releases.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 am

Good call on Band Of Gypsys, who knew such a sound could come from only 3 men. Lays down "The Funk" from which George Clinton's mob would emanate from.

Live performances are the peak musical experience, so if live albums properly capture it then that's the greatest thing you can pop in your stereo at home. The great live albums have a great unhinged feel to them, their intense and real. A studio is such a sterile un-rock n' roll setting, i'd prefer hearing the band play together as a unit not recorded separately and thrown together. Songs can be changed and molded in a live setting, they always offer up something different.

Here's my 10, some are bootlegs. Their best at times because they haven't got into the hands of grubby producers and self conscious musicians. Overdubs render live albums obsolete..........

1) Beasts Of Bourbon - From The Belly Of The Beasts Live 91 & 92

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Front+bourbon_modifi%C3%A9-1

This is what Rock N' Roll threatens to be but rarely never is, completely full of leering insolence and f*cked up danger. This shows why ambulances were de rigeur at their concerts and why Henry Rollins said they laid waste to the hottest band in the world at the time Nirvana when opening up for them. Kurt and co probably slipping on the blood the Beasts routinely left on stage........amongst other things!

2) Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 148j7tt

Alot of people swear by Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out but they obviously haven't heard this sh*t hot bootleg. Richards and Taylor battle it out with the finest guitar interplay i've ever heard, Richards slashing rhythm collides with Taylor's possesed soloing. It really is the Mick Taylor show, he just keeps soloing throughout the whole thing. Highlight being the malevolent 13 minute Midnight Rambler, intense.

3) Hanoi Rocks - All Those Wasted Years 1984

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 20080420154642

Capturing a legend in full flight and at their peak, "Garage Rock" has
never been so well documented on stage. Taking us through the psycho
blooze of "Taxi Driver" to the sweet pop of "Tragedy". And then
descending into a shambles of Alice Cooper, Stooges and Yardbirds
covers at the end.

4) Rose Tattoo - Bondi Lifesaver 1980

Manny's Top Ten Live albums RoseTattoo_Bondi_Front

The Bondi Lifesaver was demolished a day after this gig, but hell that would of been more like a clean up job cause Rose Tattoo brought the demolition gear a day early, Ian Rilen's pile driving bass alone would of been enough. It marks the reuniting of the original lineup with prodigal son Ian Rilen returning to the fold for the gig, and he brings some X songs along with him. I get massive kick out of hearing Rose Tattoo play "Oxford Street Nick" even if you can't hear Rilen's voice through the technical problems that litter the gig, the heat playing havoc with the instruments but hey it ain't perfect it's rock n' roll. A fitting send off to a venue stepped in Ausrock/Rose Tattoo folklore, from Bon Scott and Angus Young reguarly joining the Rose Tattoo on stage for Chuck Berry and Kinks covers to were they got signed by Vanda & Young.

5) Jerry Lee Lewis - Live At The Star Club 1964

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Jerry-lee-lewis-live-at-the-star-club-hamburgManny's Top Ten Live albums Jerry-lee-lewis-live-at-the-star-club-hamburg

Representing JLL's wilderness years perfectly, were Europe hadn't given up on him. It's just completely feral and mad, i feel sorry for the Nashville Teens trying to keep up with him, surely blood was spilled from the hands of them helplessly trying to. It's rock n' roll distilled to it's base elements. Jerry does things to his "Pianner" that no one else can do, the playing descends into white noise at times.

6) The Birthday Party - Live 1980-81

Manny's Top Ten Live albums 20090514A_BirthdayParty_Live19811982

Hard to believe Henry Rollins had these tapes just laying around for all these years. Thankfully he unleashed them on us. It's the final say in extreme music, it's god damn awful and ill willed. Rock n' Roll psychosis personified. Rowland S Howards guitar is the equivalent of knives in your ears and Nick Cave's blood curdling screams sends shivers down your spine. I dare you to try and make it all the way through their rendition of the Stooges "Funhouse". Scary sh*t.

7) Wilson Pickett - Sweden 1969

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Front

What more can you say but Wilson Pickett. The feistiest of soul singers in a live setting backed by the Midnight Movers who are every bit as good as say the Memphis Horns. It's a winning combination. Wilson and band totally burns down the house. It all comes to a head with and incendiary performance of "Land Of A 1000 Dances" that needs to be heard to be believed.

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_cool Thee Hypnotics - Live'r Than God 1989

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Sp54slv

Plucky young English band tears through a blast of insurrectionist Motor City Rock, like Live At Leeds down at your local or the Stones playing over driven and fuzzed like Blue Cheer. And when all is said and done chaos still left lying on the stage and guitars still ringing the strains of Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick" comes through the PA like they're acknowledging the competition!

9) Iggy & The Stooges - Metallic KO 1976

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Metallic_hi

Basically see the Birthday Party live album description. Iggy taunts the bikers in attendance and recieves a few broken bottles for his troubles. I love the sound of shattered glass, make no mistake this is trainwreck rock n' roll.

10) Gun Club - Ahmed's Wild Dream 1993

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Gunclubahmed

Jeffrey Lee Pierce impossibly conjures up the ghosts of Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix in this last roll of the dice for the Gun Club before Pierce would join the aforementioned. He howls possesed through the jazz breakdown of "Goodbye Johnny" and plays a fiery and elegaic version of "Little Wing".
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 2:49 am

Geez, nice thread. I was lucky enough to see 7 of Manny's top ten (which he nailed) during the day, missing only Hendrix, Lizzy, and MSG. Having seen the tour makes a live recording a nice exercise in nostalgia. I also saw Iggy Pop in the 70's. I'd recommend the boot "Heroin Hates You" also.
Some I'd add would be Slade "On Stage", Sweet "Live At The Rainbow", and of course Sensational Alex Harvey Band "Live" (75). How about Nazareth "Snaz"?.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Another live album that I really like is Black Sabbath's "Reunion" album.

There is so much energy there after not having played together (with Ozzy) for more than 15 years. You can just feel the excitement from the crowd and the band!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I generally don't like live albums for the reasons others have mentioned but that UFO album is a rare exception.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Not a big live album guy either, but these are my faves, or at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Halford - LIVE INSURRECTION
Savatage - GHOST IN THE RUINS: A TRIBUTE TO CRISS OLIVA
W.A.S.P. - DOUBLE LIVE ASSASSINS
Judas Priest - UNLEASHED IN THE EAST
Ramones - IT'S ALIVE
KISS - MTV UNPLUGGED
Raven - LIVE AT THE INFERNO

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm

ga-hey Moore's - Blues Alive is an amazing live cd as well...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Here's a few more I like

Royal Hunt- Double Live
Samson- Live at Reading '81
Glenn Hughes- Burning Japan Live

The Godz- Greatest Hits Live
Head East- Live On Stage
Jethro Tull- Bursting Out

Be-Bop Deluxe- Live In The Air Age
Nektar- Live In New York
Camel- Pressure Points
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Another great live album that missed being in my top ten is Lou Reed-Rock n Roll Animal. This live album was so influential that when Alice went solo he poached the entire band from Lou Reed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:18 pm

My top 10 in order:

01. U.D.O. - Mastercutor Alive
Manny's Top Ten Live albums 1223584287_udo-mastercutor-alive-2008-front
02. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death
03. Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Iron+maden
04. Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
Manny's Top Ten Live albums 387
05. Deep Purple - Made In Japan
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Made-in-japan
06. W.A.S.P. - Live In The Raw
Manny's Top Ten Live albums 1630
07. Pat Travers - Boom Boom Live At The Diamond
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Cdlem82
08. Grave Digger - 25 To Live
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Img_1_pr
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Grave%20digger
09. Twisted Sister - Live At The Astoria
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Twisted-sister-live-at-the-astoria-2008
10. Manowar - Gods of War Live
Manny's Top Ten Live albums Manowar+-+Gods+of+War+Live+%282007%29
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Good choices Spectre!

Manny's Top Ten Live albums Headbang
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Great list manny! Some awesome picks in there
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

1)Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East
2)UFO-Strangers In The Night
3)Humble Pie-Performance:Rockin The Fillmore
4)AC/DC-If You Want Blood, You've Got It
5)Scorpions-Tokyo Tapes
6)MSG-One Night At Budakon
7)KISS-Alive!
8)Rainbow-On Stage
9)Grateful Dead-LIVE/DEAD
10)Rush-All The World's A Stage

PostSubject: Re: Manny's Top Ten Live albums   Manny's Top Ten Live albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manny's Top Ten Live albums
Page 1 of 1