Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tribute albums?

Go down 
+3
Metallic Blaze
ultmetal
biddle
7 posters
AuthorMessage
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:11 am

I picked up a tribute cd by powergod that ult recommended and I think it's rad! I think I might have to check out some more powergod after hearing this. However, this is the second tribute cd like this I have purchased this year, including ultimatium's lex metalis cd. I read a few reviews on the new ultimatum CD in which people are saying some pretty harsh things. Some of the german reviews have been brutally negative. Check out the reviews on powermetal.de or squealer-rocks.de I dont' get it because I think it's rad!!! I looked up some of the powergod reviews and some have been the same. Metal-Observer was positive and said, "This way tribute-albums not only make sense, but are also lots of fun!" That is my thought too. But it seems many metal fans dislike tribute cds, What does everyone here think of tribute CDs? Do you like them, hate them, think they are a rippoff? What other tribute CDs would you recommend?
Back to top Go down

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 am

Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/cover-tribute-albums-t9870.htm?highlight=tribute

Thanks. thats cool for some recomendations. I was mostly looking for peoples opinions of tribute cds in general. I was just surprised to read so many harsh reviews of powergod and ultimatum when I thought they were so rad! one reviewer gave the new ultimatium a 0 points out of 10.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 am

Well obviously I like them or I wouldn't have recorded one. I've always enjoyed them. When one of my favorite bands covers songs by some of my other favorite bands, they tend to become frequent players for me. As you know, I love the Powergod tributes. I also like Hammerfall's tribute quite a bit.

I have seen a couple of the German reviews you are referring to, but since I can't make heads or tails of the language, I couldn't tell you what it is they don't like about the CD. I was told that one reviewer is a big "white metal fanatic" and he didn't like the fact that we were recording "secular" covers. I think he might have been the one that gave us the 0. I just chalk it up to, we can't please everyone.

Some of my favorite tributes are listed in the link that Shawn provided.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:29 pm

I really like tribute albums as well! The only one that comes to mind for me that is a frequent player is Hammerfall's tribute album from last year. It's pretty good.

I still need to get the Ultimatum tribute album. I plan on getting it directly from the band though (since I live in the same city), and will have it next time I see them live!

I'll get all their autographs that way.

Tribute albums? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 pm

Here's what I said in the other thread, and it still rings true today....

Quote :
Like live albums, tribute albums rarely interest me, but I do like....

Metallica - The 5.98/9.98 EP

and as ult mentioned

A Tribute to Judas Priest: Legends of Metal - Parts I & II

are the most consistently good tribute albums I have ever heard.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I really like tribute albums as well! The only one that comes to mind for me that is a frequent player is Hammerfall's tribute album from last year. It's pretty good.

I still need to get the Ultimatum tribute album. I plan on getting it directly from the band though (since I live in the same city), and will have it next time I see them live!

October 23rd at the Launchpad with Requiem Mas and Suspended. Two great bands. Should be an overall killer show.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

October 23rd at the Launchpad with Requiem Mas and Suspended. Two great bands. Should be an overall killer show.

Cool! I'll make sure my calendar is cleared that night! Tribute albums? Halford

I remember last time I saw you guys last summer Requiem Mass opened - and you're right ... they were pretty good.

What's Suspended like?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Suspended are an all female thrash band. This time around we will be opening for Requiem Mass I think.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Suspended are an all female thrash band. This time around we will be opening for Requiem Mass I think.

Tribute albums? Headbang

I'll plan on being there!

Tribute albums? Yahoo
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 pm

I think many metalheads are put off by tribute albums/covers albums. And quite frankly, there are loads of horrible cover songs out there.

I tend to like them though, and I've loved the 2 from Powergod (the first one got me into the band in the first place, now I own all of their album). If a cover song is done well, it's as cool as the original material, imo. Sure, pretty much none of the covers are better than the original, but that is besides the point.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:58 pm

I need to check out Powergod.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 1:45 pm

If you enjoy black metal /death metal spins on Slayer songs, pick up

Gateway to Hell 1 and 2 , Slatanic Slaughter, Straight to Hell, Hell At Last, and Post Mortem all offer cool spins on Slayer songs.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm

Both of those Powergod albums are really good. The first one being a slight bit better than the second. But both are well worth picking up.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Aww bummer dude!

Looks like something came up. I won't be able to make this show on the 23rd after all.

Maybe next time.

Tribute albums? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:55 pm

December 19th. The Compound. Albuquerque.

Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 9:13 pm

might have flown in for this one;had it not be on moms bday! sux! Tribute albums? Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Sponsored content

Tribute albums? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tribute albums?   Tribute albums? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tribute albums?
Page 1 of 1