Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Concept Albums according to MSN -

Go down 
+11
mez
XYZ
DeathCult
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
mr.electric39
Metal Misfit
James B.
Schbopo
325ad
15 posters
AuthorMessage
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Empty
PostSubject: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 pm

MSN Parallel Universe recently released their top concept albums of all time, did anyone see this besides me?

They had 25 of their 25 I agreed with 7 of their choices. Granted I was not familar with them all either though. I HOPE SOMEONE HAS THE LINK FOR THIS! I forgot it. Sorry. Embarassed

Tommy - The Who
Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche
The Crane Wife - The Decemberist - Story wise this maybe the best! IMO
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Comin
Mellon Collie ... - Smashing Pumpkins
Killroy was Here - Styx

Maybe it is my Heavy Metal nature but a few that come to mind that were missed include Orphaned Land "The Three Sons of Seven", Amaseffer - Slaves for Life, and perhaps King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

Last edited by 325ad on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 pm

All the ones you put are great. I know a lot of people hate "Kilroy was Here", but I think it's a killer album.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:50 pm

what ? no "(Music From) The Elder" surprised sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Got the link;

http://paralleluniverse.msn.com/photos/music/rock-concept-albums/?GT1=28140&photoidx=1

I wasn't aware that Sgt. Pepper's was a concept album. Cool.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 pm

thanks yungsta'

your research skills will help out tonz when ya get in colllege

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm

"2112," Rush (1976)

Purists will tell you that only Side 1 of "2112," which contains the seven-part "suite" that gives the
album its name, is part of the concept album, since Side 2 is all stand-alone
tunes. But then again, only purists have managed to sit through either side of
this joyless, math-y, pretentious and dimwitted paean to the "genus of Ayn
Rand." And, yes, sic. Classic prog rock sci-fi story elements abound in the
"suite," including the ubiquitous cabal that controls all expres​sion(in this
case they're called the "Priests of the Temples of Syrinx") and a renegade hero
who challenges them. With a guitar. Ugh.

Shocked Whoever wrote this is screwed up in the head. 2112 is one of the best albums ever, concept or not.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks for posting, I don't go to MSN, but I'll keep an eye on this Parallel Universe section now. Seems like their "geek culture" part of the site.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:18 am

Schbopo wrote:
"2112," Rush (1976)

Purists will tell you that only Side 1 of "2112," which contains the seven-part "suite" that gives the

Shocked Whoever wrote this is screwed up in the head. 2112 is one of the best albums ever, concept or not.

Yeah whoever wrote that has no clue!!! 2112 ain't a concept disc but it is one of heavy rock's (not really metal) album.... Then again for 1976 it could fit the metal design....

I love the album so it doesn't matter to me!

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:12 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
"2112," Rush (1976)

Yeah whoever wrote that has no clue!!! 2112 ain't a concept disc but it is one of heavy rock's (not really metal) album.... Then again for 1976 it could fit the metal design....

I love the album so it doesn't matter to me!

cheers

"2112" is one of my alltime favorite albums period!

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:33 am

2112 is awesome. Turds like that guy just like to sound important when they write. Slamming something awesome makes them seem savy to those who don't know better. (other turds)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 am

I disagree with the comments about "The Wall" it is a fantastic album!!!!

The comments on 2112 suck - what a jack a**

Said jack a** needs a kick in the a** for his comment on Operation:Mindcrime

Utl would be Kilroy if the guy that called him out from the "pulpit" was in charge!!!!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 am

2112 is an awesome album. However Ayn Rand most certainly does suck.

I was disappointed to see Joe's Garage didn't make this list though
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Good catch! That had completely slipped my mind.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 pm

The man's opinions are wrong.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Since when did Mellon Collie become a concept album? There is no story there! I think these journalist might be a bit confused on this term.

I dont know, I find the list to be underwhelming and for the most part biased. They seem to pick albums or bands no one has heard about like King Kong. Come on!!! Where is Iron Maidens 7th Son in that list? Or how about things better than Green Day making it twice, sure Pink Floyd could hit that list a few times over before even one Green Day made it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:32 pm

It's hard to argue with some of those choices but the list still sucks. The Wall, Operation Mindcrime, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and 2112 are all higly regarded concept albums and just as worthy as many in the first part of the list (plus I really like the first two-haven't heard the others yet). As always a list made by a popular site is crap. Many of my favortie concept albums would never make it on a list like that and IMO they're all ten times better than some of the crap on that list.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Schbopo wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Good catch! That had completely slipped my mind.

Yeah man, it kind of boggled my mind when I saw he missed it as much as he was waxing on about originality and obscurity and perfection. That whole album except for two songs was done purely through Xenochrony. That alone despite the fact that its a great set should get it on the list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 am

all I have to say is Savatage........Streets.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:25 am

mez wrote:
Since when did Mellon Collie become a concept album? There is no story there! I think these journalist might be a bit confused on this term.

Concept albums are not restricted to a narrative story told throughout the songs, it's not as literal as that. Concept albums can be as mentioned before narrative stories told through lyrics (eg: Tommy) but they can also have a main theme lyrically (eg: The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society) or have a concept musically/instrumentally (eg: Pet Sounds).

Anyway nice to see some of my faves make the "Triumphs" part of the list "S.F. Sorrow", "Berlin" and "The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society" in particular.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 am

Much as I love Sgt. Pepper's, I could never call it a concept album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Concept Albums according to MSN -   Top Concept Albums according to MSN - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Concept Albums according to MSN -
Page 1 of 1