Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Empty
PostSubject: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 am

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 am

GrandNational wrote:

Interesting..... How does it compare to the other manuscripts in exsistance?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

I'm no historian, but I compared some verses last night against my RSV translation and it was basically right on. I think this manuscript is the oldest one that has the complete NT plus Shepard of Hermas and Barnabas attached at the end of the NT (which I have in another book) and some unidentified fragments, which seems interesting. I guess we'll have to wait until those fragments are translated to see what they contain.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 2:25 pm

GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

I'm no historian, but I compared some verses last night against my RSV translation and it was basically right on. I think this manuscript is the oldest one that has the complete NT plus Shepard of Hermas and Barnabas attached at the end of the NT (which I have in another book) and some unidentified fragments, which seems interesting. I guess we'll have to wait until those fragments are translated to see what they contain.

Interesting - well, no two single manuscripts are the same which brings up the old infallable or inerrant (both, infallable or neither) discussion.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Interesting - well, no two single manuscripts are the same which brings up the old infallable or inerrant (both, infallable or neither) discussion.

If you mean that many of the manuscripts have additional books or differing orders, that's mainly true (my Church accepts 75 books vs. the 66 in the Protestant canon), but the texts themselves are spot on when compared with one another.

I always think of this saying from my priest when I hear people getting into debates about the infallible/inerrant argument of the Bible: "God gave us something better than a book, He gave us His Son Jesus, Love Incarnate."
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:54 pm

GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

If you mean that many of the manuscripts have additional books or differing orders, that's mainly true (my Church accepts 75 books vs. the 66 in the Protestant canon), but the texts themselves are spot on when compared with one another.

I always think of this saying from my priest when I hear people getting into debates about the infallible/inerrant argument of the Bible: "God gave us something better than a book, He gave us His Son Jesus, Love Incarnate."

No, more the possibility of error what was initially written not being the same - obviously it is not, as we have english translations. But many believe in the inerrancy of the Bible (The catholic and Orthodox churchs believe in the infallability of scripture on matters of faith). Innerancy is a doctirine believed by most evangelical denoms and churches.

Interesting idea, that what was consider the Word of God by the Jews was the Ten Commandments (as that was directly given by God).

Food for thought....
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
No, more the possibility of error what was initially written not being the same - obviously it is not, as we have english translations.

Obviously huh? Shocked
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 pm

GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
No, more the possibility of error what was initially written not being the same - obviously it is not, as we have english translations.

Obviously huh? Shocked

Yep - we are not reading the exact words written and handed down through oral tradition centuries ago (old and new testament) - we are reading the best "guess" translated into English.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 12:33 am

thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Obviously huh? Shocked

Yep - we are not reading the exact words written and handed down through oral tradition centuries ago (old and new testament) - we are reading the best "guess" translated into English.

Rolling Eyes ..........Sorry, it's just that there is no such "oral tradition" in the Bible, specially not the NT, as most of it after the Gospels are composed of letters sent to particular churches by St.Paul. Read
1 Corinthians, 2 Peter, 1 John, and you'll see the authors saying "I am writing to you"......no oral transmission here.

Anyway, the last statement I'll make on this thread is this: ""It is the task of the Church of God to
judge and argue with those outside on the basis of true facts without reference to the Holy
Scriptures and those inside, the seeming believers, by reference to the Holy Book." - Saint Yeznik of Kolb
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:49 am

GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Obviously huh? Shocked

Rolling Eyes ..........Sorry, it's just that there is no such "oral tradition" in the Bible, specially not the NT, as most of it after the Gospels are composed of letters sent to particular churches by St.Paul. Read
1 Corinthians, 2 Peter, 1 John, and you'll see the authors saying "I am writing to you"......no oral transmission here.

Anyway, the last statement I'll make on this thread is this: ""It is the task of the Church of God to
judge and argue with those outside on the basis of true facts without reference to the Holy
Scriptures and those inside, the seeming believers, by reference to the Holy Book." - Saint Yeznik of Kolb

I was speaking of the old testament - the earliest books were handed down through oral tridition until they were written
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Obviously huh? Shocked

I was speaking of the old testament - the earliest books were handed down through oral tridition until they were written

Read your original post, you put both old and new testament in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available   Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oldest Bible Manuscript now Digitally available
Page 1 of 1