Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

24 Electrifying Performances!

Go down 
+6
Onkel Ben
Troublezone
Lari
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage

24 Electrifying Performances! Empty
PostSubject: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Not to open a can of worms, but I thought this was a funny little gem a buddy of mine found over the weekend.....a compilation from 1974 entitled "Heavy Metal"

Kind of funny what people (at least the guys at this particular record company) considered "heavy metal" back in the day.

24 Electrifying Performances! 53939

The Tracklist
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen
Jimi Hendrix - Freedom
James Gang - Must Be Love
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
T. Rex - Bang a Gong (Get It On)
The J. Geils Band - Give It to Me
Dr. John - Right Place Wrong Time
Led Zeppelin - D'yer Maker
Buffalo Springfield - Bluebird
Faces - Cindy Incidentally
The Doors - Touch Me
The Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man
Delaney & Bonnie - Only You & I Know
Van Morrison - Domino
Eagles - Outlaw Man
Yes - Starship Trooper
a. Life Seeker
b. Disillusion
c. Wurm
Golden Earring - Radar Love
The Grateful Dead - Johnny B. Goode
Foghat - What a Shame
Uriah Heep - Stealin'
War - Lonely Feelin'
Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:46 pm

The Grateful Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Doors are so cool that they are welcomed in any comp CD but to call them metal is silly even for 1974!

It is funny, what is included, Dr. John!!!!

I have seen Golden Earring to this very day referred to as a metal band! I guess T. Rex could be considered an influence on metal but he certainly was not a metal artist, at least IMO.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Delaney & Bonnie???? Oh ya, so heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Ult says those are all metal. Razz

Glad they included the headbanging sounds of YES. That stuff'll rip your face off.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I don't know. Most of those aren't THAT far from heavy metal - at least not from the original definition. Metal, and mostly the many subgenres of it, have just become more extreme. I'd say a good majority of the tracks and artists featured on that record were close (enough) in sound to the origins of the genre. And the rest are at least somewhat heavier than the popular stuff of 1974.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Ult says those are all metal. Razz

Glad they included the headbanging sounds of YES. That stuff'll rip your face off.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Gonna find the guys who made this and slap them in the face with a sir lord baltimore album. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:08 pm

I had that compilation back in the day.

No, not all of those bands are considered heavy metal, but it just goes to show that the term "heavy metal" was already in use in the early 70's. That was always my point.

Some of those bands were indeed considered heavy metal back then, but obviously not all of them. In 1974, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, MC5, Zeppelin, etc. were some of the heaviest stuff out there.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Haha...yeah pretty interesting.

That reminds me of the Auraphon records heavy metal "brainstorm" labeled series of CD presses of street punk and hardcore bands like Circle jerks and Uproar.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

LAY DOWN YOUR SOUL TO THE GODS... The J. Geils Band? Waitaminnit....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 pm

I can understand most of the choices, but no matter which way I look at it, I can't bring myself to call Van Morrison metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 24 Electrifying Performances!   24 Electrifying Performances! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

24 Electrifying Performances!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: