Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LEX METALIS reviews

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

LEX METALIS reviews Empty
PostSubject: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 am

First official review posted:
http://www.metal-metropolis.com/ultimatum.htm#lex

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:06 am

Second review on-line:
http://teethofthedivine.com/site/reviews/ultimatum-lex-metalis/

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:48 pm

nobody mentions how the drums sound

no love for the drummers

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 pm

The snair sounds GREAT!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
The snair sounds GREAT!!!

I agree. Best snare sound we've ever had. The snare sound has always been a struggle for us.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 am

Quote :
Ultimatum- “Lex Metalis” Review
July 14, 2009 – 7:19 pm

Label: Retroactive Records
Time: 13 tracks/50:32 minutes

Cover albums- like live albums and b-side albums- are a hit and miss affair. Their quality boils down to three things: who a band covers, which songs they choose to cover, and how they play those songs. The truth is most cover albums are banal because bands will choose to cover the same predictable hits by the same old bands, offering little of their own attitude and style in the proceedings.

Ultimatum have proven in the past that they can overcome these problems. In the past they have covered bands as disparate as Vengeance Rising and Iron Maiden, and have made excellent song choices and made the songs sound like their own. Of course, that is while including one cover song on an album of otherwise all original material. Can Ultimatum keep it up on a whole CD of cover tunes? With Lex Metalis the answer is a resounding “yes!”

With each band member picking a couple favorite songs from both Christian and non-Christian metal acts, and also opening up voting to their fans, Ultimatum narrowed the list of tunes to thirteen from over sixty. Many metal genres are mixed together- from thrash (Metallica’s “Creeping Death”), glam (Twisted Sister’s “Sin After Sin”) to power metal (Metal Church’s “Ton of Bricks”). However Ultimatum filters each track through their hardcore/thrash sensibilities, making each their own. Vengeance Rising’s “Can’t Get Out” is turned into a punky stomper, while Mortification’s “Gut Wrench” is turned from hardcore to technical thrash. Always present are Scott Waters’ unique vocals adding a new spin to the songs, and Robert Gutierrez throws down some choice leads. The whole band is on fire, paying tribute to their heroes.

Addressing the three aforementioned issues- Ultimatum doesn’t fall into ay of the traps. They cover popular bands like Megadeth and obscure bands like The Moshketeers. They choose unique tracks, and don’t rely on popular tunes, but there are a few of those as well. Ultimatum reinterprets each track to fit their style but also doesn’t modify anything to the point that it is unrecognizable to fans of the original. One thing that impressed me is how much they paid attention to the lyrics of the songs they chose. Even though most of the songs are not Christian, the lyrics tend to either focus on metal as a genre (“Denim & Leather”) or are compatible with the band’s faith, or can be interpreted from a Christian viewpoint. For example, “Creeping Death” is entirely biblical history, and Scott adds the words “Jesus saves!” to the chorus of “Sin After Sin” changing its tone from focusing on darkness to being evangelical.

There is not much to complain about with this disc, it has great songs, great playing, great production, and a great booklet featuring the band members reminiscing about the songs and bands they have loved for years. For many bands a cover record is a stop gap effort, but with Ultimatum it is a labor of love. One minor quibble is that I wish they had chosen a different track instead of Iron Maiden’s “Wrathchild” which was already featured on 2007’s “Into the Pit.” This is a great album for any metalhead- the band has no agenda except having fun here. It begs to be cranked up loud for your headbanging pleasure. Or, to quote their Quiet Riot cover: “Bang your head! Metal Health will drive you mad!”

4/5

http://shineisdead.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/ultimatum-lex-metalis-review/

One minor note, I didn't change any words in Sin After Sin. The lyrics are exactly as Dee Snider wrote them.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am

Good review!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 1:03 pm

http://whitethronereviews.blogspot.com/

Quote :
ULTIMATUM - LEX METALIS
Retroactive Records
Sunday, August 16, 2009

The latest offering from Ultimatum is a collection of heavy duty compositions entitled ‘Lex Metalis’ latin for “Metal is the Law.” These metal merchants from New Mexico have given us an insight into their musical past as this disc is a ‘covers’ album. 13 songs that have inspired and motivated them to play the type of music that they do. In the extensive liner notes vocalist Scott Waters explained how difficult it was to condense the huge list of possible selections for this recording. (If you want to know how difficult you’ll have to buy the CD!). One thing I will point out and Scott points out as well, they didn’t want to cover the typical songs most bands will cover. I applaud them for this choice.

Opening with the high octane thrash of Metal Church’s ‘Ton of Bricks’ and closing with Overkill’s ‘Powersurge’ this album is simply fabulous. A huge smorgasbord of metal influences from several different era’s of metal are represented. The New Wave of British Heavy Metal comes in with songs from Motorhead ‘Iron Fist’, Iron Maiden ‘Wrathchild’, Saxon ‘Denim and Leather’. I’d heard the Maiden cover on their previous disc ‘Into the Pit’ and thought it was great so when I heard the cover of ‘Denim and Leather’ I was doing cartwheels in my front yard. Simply a ripping version of that song…!‘Iron Fist’ by the ‘Head is another recognizable but not often covered song. This high energy early punk/thrash style tune that Robert Gutierrez’s guitar tone just spearheads the way. “The devils grip THE IRON FIST”!

Judas Priest is given their due with a powerful tune from their British Steel album, ‘Steeler’ is a highly underated and neglected song from their catalog, Waters vocals power the assault with the rythym section of Rob Whitlock on bass and Alan Tuma on drums barraling along for support. Songs by Megadeth “Moto Pyscho”, Twisted Sister “Sin After Sin” are reproduced in excellent fashion.

Hearing versions of several Christian Metal classics always peak my interest as often times I bought the originals when they first came out. In this case Vengeance Rising’s ‘Can’t Get Out’ really shreds and as does Robert on lead guitar! The lyrics to this song are hilarious and when Scott belts it out his annunciation is really rather good, as opposed to Roger Martinez whom if you didn’t have the lyric sheet you were completely lost. (I loved and still do the first two Vengeance albums). Songs by The Moshketeers ‘Locked In Chains’ (whom I’d not heard before) and Mortification ‘Gut Wrench’ are done with passion and intensity.

For me the highlights on this disc are Metallica’s ‘Creeping Death’ a vastly underated and often forgotten song in their catalog. I loved that song when Ride The Lighting came out in 1984, even bought the 12” picture disc with the songs from Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg on the backside. One of the best thrash songs ever and Ultimatum NAILS IT!!!!! Unmistakable energy and power, a pure piece of metal excellence. The second highlight comes from one of heavy metal’s true anthems Quiet Riot’s ‘Metal Health’. That was the first song by Quiet Riot I’d ever heard back in ‘83 and I had to buy that album immediately. That was way before their cover of Slade’s ‘Cum On Feel The Noize’ hit. To me ‘Metal Health’ is right there with ‘Balls to Wall’ as an anthem that every headbanger knows even if they don’t own the albums, they know those songs…. Amazing.

An album like this should accomplish several things, First it should make you want to listen to it again as the band hopefully have put their own stamp on the song. Second if you’re already familiar with some of the songs it should knock you up the backside and you think “That Was a GREAT song!” and you go and pull out the original version. Thirdly if you’re not familiar with a certain artist/song hopefully the version does justice and you think to yourself “How did I miss that?!?!”

The production is solid and clean. A very nice gem case for packaging with a cool 8 page booklet. Buy this and turn it up because all men play on ten. Cheers!

Mr.Electric40

PostSubject: Re: LEX METALIS reviews   LEX METALIS reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LEX METALIS reviews
Page 1 of 1