Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Go down 
+4
SAHB Healer
Shiney
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Empty
PostSubject: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 2:14 am

I've recently stumbled upon the brilliant 70's band The Dictators, they are quickly becoming one of my fave bands.

Although they are more talked about in their importance to the mid 70's New York punk scene (Often called the missing link between The New York Dolls and The Ramones) their imporatance to heavy metal cannot underestimated. After all Ross The Boss was the guitarist in the band before he formed Manowar and Marco Mendoza was also the bass player before he went on and joined Twisted Sister.

Their a band that don't take themselves to seriously through their embracing of junk culture (something the Ramones would take influence from), their music is probably one of the first examples of heavy metal-punk crossover and also includes elements of surf music, 60's girl groups and 60's garage rock.

Definetly an undiscovered gem of 70's hard rock/heavy metal.

Last edited by rattpoison on Sat May 31, 2008 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:31 am

They're a recent discovery for me as well. I've 1st heard them on sattellite radio and I like their sound. I don't own any of their releases, but I dig 'em.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:53 am

I dig THE 'TATORS.....

I also loved the MANITOBA'S WILD KINGDOM cd...which is not that far removed....

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 5:36 pm

I've always respected the Dictators as sort of a pre-punk band; but I've never really taken them seriously (I don't think they took themselves seriously either!). "The Minnesota Strip" was an anthem for those of us who grew up in Minnesota though, great song.
Manitoba's Wild Kingdom is a great party disc; very fun and high energy. It's too short and not very deep, but I still love to spin it every now and again. It gets me "Fired Up".
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Dictators are awesome especially "The Minnesota Strip" and being from MN makes it even better!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 11:52 pm

Talk about a thread from the dead.

Man this video is classic, Classic cover, White man Fro's, Ross The Boss's Les Paul, CBGB's, Mendoza's fast fingers and the self proclaimed 'Handsomest Man In Rock'.

Not much out rocks this

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 am

I love MWK!!

"Stop that whining!!!
Cuz you had a bad day.
If you lost some weight,
You might get laid!"

Now that's the epitome of lyrical genius!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Have you listened to the Dictators Toho?

Cause that was like the unofficial Dictators comeback (4th) album after their unholy trio of records in the mid to late 70's.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 pm

I have a Dictators album on vinyl but I can't remember which one.

All I know is, from what I've heard by The Dictators and MWK, it's almost hard for me to believe most of those guys were Manowar. I HATE Manowar!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 am

tohostudios wrote:
I have a Dictators album on vinyl but I can't remember which one.

All I know is, from what I've heard by The Dictators and MWK, it's almost hard for me to believe most of those guys were Manowar. I HATE Manowar!

You mean Ross The Boss, he was the only member that was from the Dictators and formed Manowar.

The Dictators had that heavy metal/punk crossover think before punk was a rock n' roll phenomena.

I say dig the Dictators record out and give it a spin.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Bumpity bump...

A buddy of mine @ another forum sent me ...AND YOU? by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom cuz he got it in a trade and didn't dig it. His loss, my gain. The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_lol I'm only dimly aware of the Dictators (mostly due to the fact that Ross the Boss of Manowar and Mark "The Animal" Mendoza were both Dictators at one time or another) but I do remember M.W.K.'s killer track "The Party Starts Now," which used to get some pretty serious air play on our local hard-rock radio station (WSOU). My buddy had AND YOU? on cassette back when it was current and he used to play the hell out of it when we hung out, I dug it but for one reason or another I never got round to getting my own copy till now. Better late than never, eh?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Love that album! Mantioba's Wildkingdom, has a host of classics 'The Perfect High' 'The Party Starts Now' and the classic rock star career advise song in history 'Haircut and Attitude'
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I especially like "The Party Starts Now" and "New York, New York" -- maybe it's me, but "NY, NY" has a definite Kinks vibe to it. The chorus kinda reminds me of their classic "Paranoia, self destroyerrrrrrrr...."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I especially like "The Party Starts Now" and "New York, New York" -- maybe it's me, but "NY, NY" has a definite Kinks vibe to it. The chorus kinda reminds me of their classic "Paranoia, self destroyerrrrrrrr...."

I am reading a book on the Kinks and It never occured to me about the Kinks vibe on that tune, but you are right it is similar to that early 80's Kinks period.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom   The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Bumpity bump...

A buddy of mine @ another forum sent me ...AND YOU? by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom cuz he got it in a trade and didn't dig it. His loss, my gain. The Dictators/Manitoba's Wild Kingdom Icon_lol I'm only dimly aware of the Dictators (mostly due to the fact that Ross the Boss of Manowar and Mark "The Animal" Mendoza were both Dictators at one time or another) but I do remember M.W.K.'s killer track "The Party Starts Now," which used to get some pretty serious air play on our local hard-rock radio station (WSOU). My buddy had AND YOU? on cassette back when it was current and he used to play the hell out of it when we hung out, I dug it but for one reason or another I never got round to getting my own copy till now. Better late than never, eh?

FF you need to got those 70's Dictators albums, you'd love them. They'd fit nicely between your Ramones and Kiss albums.