Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CD that only you could love?

Go down 
+5
Smindas
Chairman_Smith
mc666
Shiney
SAHB Healer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The CD that only you could love? Empty
PostSubject: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Is there a Cd that you've acquired a taste for despite the fact that it has obvious drawbacks?
For me it's a CD by Sevenchurch (not Sevendust!) called "Bleak Insight" from the mid 90's. This Cd seems a concious effort to combine Doom riffs with Ian Curtis (Joy Division) style lamentations; within a complex prog structure. Ten minute songs with numerous tempo and riff changes (slow, slower, slowest). I'm not a lover of prog for prog's sake (most "prog" that I like is relatively poppy and simple); but this one slowly hooked me in, I think because of the thundering riffs.
I realize that the above formula sounds awful, and it probably is; that's exactly my point. This thing is absolutely gruelling to listen to; between following all the riff changes and the mournfulness of it; I don't think I've ever made it thorough the whole CD at one sitting, but I like it anyway.
Is there a CD that you like despite itself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 7:43 pm

Atari Teenage Riot - Burn, Berlin Burn. When turned up as loud as
you can stand it, it can make you feel physically nauseous. It's
pretty much a rush, because somehow the tempo of that album can speed
up a persons heartrate. It's quite a workout just to listen to!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 8:35 pm

GOD IS LSD- "Spirit Of Suicide"

1993 Century Media

This band was made up of members of INVINCIBLE SPIRIT a mediocre German industial outfit...

GOD IS LSD however was a effort to create a new sound. Mixing programming and electronic beats with chunky synthesized metal riffs...deadpan ranting vocals...it remnds one almost of RAMMSTEIN...

It's a cd I have loved since it came out....

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Yes, those certainly sound like candidates for the "unlistenable "pile for most of us. This Sevenchurch CD I am referring to was in the unlistenable pile for a long time, but I kept fetching it out again.
At the top of my unlistenable pile right now is a CD called "Koksofen" (which, phoenetically, is the actual effect of the thing on me) by the Caspar Brotzmann Massaker. The theory behind this thing (I only listened to it once, and ouch!) is I think that he is supposed to be doing brilliant free form Hendrix jams for the whole CD. We're not talking Frank Marino or Joe Satriani here, I just mean free form shredding and a lot of feedback. That's what I remember anyway. Of course the reviewers on Amazon swear by it (just like they do almost everything); so I got sucked into buying it; but I am really glad that I never acquired that particular taste.
Another way of asking the question I am exploring here is..."Is there a CD you ended up liking despite the fact that you didn't want to like it?" I expect a lot of us feel that way about certain Death Metal CD's.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Belladonna - Spells Of Fear.

for the longest time i couldn't even listen to this album. the guitar is watery sounding. the vocals weak in the mix & the drums tinny. almost no bass either. but i gave it several other chances & eventually got into many of the songs. most people still hate the cd, but i like it.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:58 am

Sorry Scott, Belladonna's Spells of Fear grew on me lol!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:59 am

mc666 wrote:
Belladonna - Spells Of Fear.

for the longest time i couldn't even listen to this album. the guitar is watery sounding. the vocals weak in the mix & the drums tinny. almost no bass either. but i gave it several other chances & eventually got into many of the songs. most people still hate the cd, but i like it.

Wow, glad i don't feel alone here
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 1:03 am

Oh, and Megadeth's Risk.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 11:23 am

Everything by Andrew W.K. - few people seem to share this aspect of my musical taste. Their loss!

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Fantomas - Delerium Cordira. It's 1 song about 70 min long, It's a Mike Patton thing, I'ts even stranger than Mr Bungle, Everybody I know hates it, but I give it a listen now & then, not too bad.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 10:33 am

coheed and cambrias latest album

i know i should not like them but this is a good progressive rock album
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 10:49 am

TheGooch wrote:
coheed and cambrias latest album

i know i should not like them but this is a good progressive rock album

I like them as well
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 11:06 am

I guess the new Trivium cd falls into this category for me. I wanted to dislike them, I don't like their previous releases, and they're not too popular amongst "old school" metal fans, but I just can't help but like it.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 2:25 pm

I like COHEED alot...

was not a hugfe fan of their first cd...but "In Keeping Secrets...." is a great disc...and the one after that is good as well....alot more "metal" than folks would imagine...not at all worthy of the "emo" scene they get lumped in with...

PostSubject: Re: The CD that only you could love?   The CD that only you could love? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD that only you could love?
Page 1 of 1